Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking For The Love Of Dreadlocks!

Hello, newb here.

Let's show some lock love!

So yeah, this is sort of a spinoff to the "white people with dreadlocks" thread. I just saw some responses that were so ignorant, and that were so full of cliches and misconceptions about dreadlocks. All people's "dreadlocks" are NOT dirty. Most people, trust me on this one, WASH them. It is definately RECOMMENDED. If you don't was your dreads, you're kind of disgusting, IMO. Remember, it is still HAIR. Imagine that!

And yes I am locked.

I just wanted to dedicate a thread to dreads, and anyone who wants them, or would like to know what they look like, or whatever. I think that'd be a good idea...and maybe clear up some misconceptions...the only way we can acheive unity and understanding is to learn about eachother.

Here are some MANICURED "dreadlocks":

And here are FREEFORM dreadlocks. Freeforum means either you start them by twisting or some other method, and then leave them alone, or you just leave your hair alone all together from the start. Also known as neglect.

Kravitz:

And, most famous for his locks, Bob Marley

Here are sisterlocks (very small locks, dudes have 'em too -- www.sisterlocks.com)

If you're a fan of the locks, you can add on if you wish. Show some love for the dreadies!
    Last edited by Lollapalooza; 21-02-2006 at 01:54 AM.

And before anyone says something smart, yes I know the other thread was about "white people" with dreads, and that I've clearly only posted nubians, but I did see some responses that were so ignorant, and what I mean by that, is they obviously don't know the truth about locks.

Just trying to help with the misconceptions.

I think you will find that the comments in the other thread were more a matter of personal opinion rather than misconception.

Saying that dreadlocks are not washed is a misconception.

Not a misconception because you get some people who dont wash them.

In my personal opinion, i dont like dreadlocks. In my personal opinion i think they look horrible.

Opinions are a fact of life which everyone is entitled to.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah
    Not a misconception because you get some people who dont wash them.

In my personal opinion, i dont like dreadlocks. In my personal opinion i think they look horrible.

Opinions are a fact of life which everyone is entitled to.
    Agreed.
    'You can't cage my lyrics!'

1983 is offline i waltz in and
    shake things up
    I don't mind black folk with them, because I understand their hair is a bit more difficult to maintain than caucasian hair.

But caucasians with dreadlocks is just NASTY AND TACKY. Nooooooooooooo. They are neds to get it, or nasty hippies who don't wash it them. Well, folk I've seen anyways.

I like em

Quote Originally Posted by 1983
    I don't mind black folk with them, because I understand their hair is a bit more difficult to maintain than caucasian hair.

But caucasians with dreadlocks is just NASTY AND TACKY. Nooooooooooooo. They are neds to get it, or nasty hippies who don't wash it them. Well, folk I've seen anyways.
    If they washed their hair, would it then be ok?

Unrelated to 1983's post, I find it really interesting to see people's reactions to this as opposed to their reactions to the thread in sex about not shaving armpit hair. Everyone then was like: 'it's natural, it's how it's supposed to be, there's nothing wrong with it'. Dreads are about as natural as human hair gets - even caucasian hair - and yet there are so many people who say they're disgusting.

I think maybe a lot has to do with the fact that many white people with dreads don't necessarily dress 'smart', or the same as the rest of the population (although I have a friend with beautiful dreads and a high-flying office job in the city), giving them the 'nastyhippy' label and so a conception about them has built up that they're dirty and don't care about themselves or how they look. Maybe? Possibly? Anyone?

theres a guy who works at the local borough council office with long dreadlocks tied back. he always wears a suit and really suits them.
    I also used to go out with a guy with dreads, and they were cool too.
    Obviously some people with them are dirty, but ive known plenty of dirty people without dreads too. Its not the dreads that make someone dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow brite
    Obviously some people with them are dirty, but ive known plenty of dirty people without dreads too. Its not the dreads that make someone dirty.

I do think you're taking it a bit personally. We state opinions here, not necessarily fact. We're all entitled to think a certain way about a certain idea... that being dreadlocks, some like 'em, some hate 'em. That's the way it is.

I'm not ignorant about dreadlocks, some of my friends have dreadlocks so I know how much effort it takes to maintain them, but personally I just do not like them. I do not think they are aesthetically pleasing at all, I don't like matted fur on animals, and to me, dreadlocks on humans look like just that - matted hair.

If someone has dreadlocks and loves them, fair enough that's their choice!

Ilora x

Just to stick my oar in, I agree that some love needs to be shown to the dreads in all their (clean) forms. I've seen some very fair white girls with them and I think they look amazing. Like Tilda Swinton.

But Mick Hucknall can't pull the look off...

ive found some pics of white people with dreadlocks. Ive picked out where they look less bad. I still dont like them, on black or white people.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah
    See, I think that looks absolutely ridiculous.

Ilora x