Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

Subscribe to newsletter

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mixing paracetamol & alcohol + more....

How long do you have to leave between taking paracetamol before drinking? I usually leave 3-4 hours is this safe?

Also on occaisions, I've been drinking for 12-14 hours with a couple of hours sleep and waking up still REALLY drunk and taken my prescribed paracetamol & codiene (KAPAKE) is this damaging to my liver?

I do have a bad habit of going way over the top with my drinking and getting in some right states and drinking stupid amounts over 12+ hours, the next day is sometimes really bad but more often that not I do the same the next night. Drinking 20+ units each night every weekend and I only weigh 9-10 stone and often this is mixed with drugs- ,coke,e's,benzos and a few bongs etc. I've been doin this for nigh on a year now as well.

How much damage am I doing from mixing the paracetamol... and is the above paragraph a serious cause for concern?

While my drug use has declined, my drinking has gone through the roof.

Any help advise? Maybe this should be in the drugs forum....
    YA MAM!

budda is offline TheSite.org's Singular Sage
    Maybe it should.

The head aches you get after drinking that much are not going to be cured by a few paracetamol anyway, so its not worth the extra strain on your liver. Just hydration is your best option, fruit juices and water.

Drinking with stimulants is dangerous because of the mixed effect on your CNS, plus the strain it puts on your liver/kidneys.

But mixing alcohol with a downer is more of a short term risk, as in going to sleep and not waking up.
    My great uncle died while trying to put the ancient Chinese board game he had just bought and had been saving up for on a set of scales, still its the go he would have wanted to weigh.

Thanks yeah, I NEVER take any kind of drug to take away a hangover (maybe 1 or 2 benzos) and I take the paracetamol & codiene for my leg which gets so painful that codiene and tramadol dont do shit, maybe I should change doctor. With my history of drugs I don't think he'll prescribe me anything with abuse potential, even though I wouldn't abuse anything really coz the pain is sometimes really bad. I always keep myself properly hydrated after a binge... my main concern is just my liver really, it's taken a bit of a battering I reckon. Although generally I am a healthy person and have yet to suffer any physiological effects from what I do other than weight loss.

Thanks bong, your always there haha.
    YA MAM!

If the pain med's you are on do not work then you might want to discuss other options with your GP, there are other options, phsyio maybe?

As for the question, you are just chucking another thing into the mix and one which does not like alcohol.
    My great uncle died while trying to put the ancient Chinese board game he had just bought and had been saving up for on a set of scales, still its the go he would have wanted to weigh.

Yeah, I'm looking into a physio course at my local gym which my mums friend goes to and she says it's really good and she's in more pain than me. I think my GP is generally a waste of time, I'm thinking of changing doctors because I come out feeling worse than I went in most of the time. Remember all that stuff with the tramadol not working then me given diclofenac and then codiene... I mean, whats all that about? Defys all logic.

Back to the original topic...
    So I'm generally I'm not risking liver failure or any serious liver/internal organ problems doing this? (Although obv. paracet should be avoided when there's alcohol involved)
    YA MAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uprising
    Ye
    Back to the original topic...
    So I'm generally I'm not risking liver failure or any serious liver/internal organ problems doing this? (Although obv. paracet should be avoided when there's alcohol involved)
    There is absolutely no way I can say that.

If you consume 20+ units two nights running it wont do your liver any good and done regularly probably will damage it. But it is unlikely you will just keel over and die.

If you are going to drink, leave it at that and dont add other things in. Drink does not mix well in the body with anything really.

If you are going to take stimulants, keep the doses relatively small and dont mix too many together.

_guest Guest
    Please excuse my stupidity/ignorance here, but what exactly is wrong with taking paracetamol when you have been drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonArcanum
    Please excuse my stupidity/ignorance here, but what exactly is wrong with taking paracetamol when you have been drinking?
    Paracetamol doesnt like alcohol, and niether really like your liver.

_guest Guest
    Ok, thank you.

I'm sure a chemist or biologist could give you a better explanation, but the packet says 'avoid alcohol' for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonArcanum
    The liver is busy clearing ethanol and other toxic catabolites(?) from the alcoholic beverage. Paracetamol is broken down in the liver into a toxic substance which is linked to a peptide called glutathione which is then excreted. Drinking with paracetamol adds to the work of clearing the alcohol being done by the liver.

(what I really want to say is that the toxic by-products of ethanol and paracetamol are linked to the same anti-oxidising agent - glutathione, so your liver uses up the stores, resulting in a build up of toxic substances... but I can't find/haven't looked for evidence) I'm sure someone else could explain a little more elegantly
    Last edited by bluesneakersben; 02-11-2005 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bongbudda

If you are going to take stimulants, keep the doses relatively small and dont mix too many together.
    Some very good advice there, too many stims and you can feel the strain on your body for days, I've had myself sat there thinking "Can my body take this?" the next day and the other day I had a huge line of coke which had me absolutely rushing all over the place unable to sit still and my heart rate through the roof. Not nice. Same with amphetamine, although MDMA feels like it puts significantly less strain on you unless you really do go over the top. I've never really had a racing heart on e just a heavy heartbeat... I'm not sure which is worse.

Mixing stimulants is really not good (unless its mdma with a small dose of speed!).
    YA MAM!

Yeah I know... hence why I posted this thread!
    YA MAM!

Drugs, alcohol and paracetamol

Right first things first, I know this is an old thread, but anyone who drinks that much alcohol on a regular basis and takes recreational drugs (remember they're illeagal for a reason!!) is asking for SERIOUS health problems.
    Large quantities of alcohol consumption will overtime cause things such as: liver disease, liver cancer, throat cancer, stomach ulcers (which can lead to serious bleeding and death), stomach cancer, pancreatitisis (very painful and often serious pancreas disease), diabetes, high blood pressure (which can cause heart disease), kidney problems, memory problems, depression, Alcohol addiction can further lead to black outs, memory loss and a range of similar problems.

Women should not consume more than 2-3 units per day (1 unit= 1 single measuere, a SMALL glass of wine, about half a pint of normal beer/lager)
    Men should not consume 3-4 units per day, Neither gender should drink everyday or save up their units for one-two days per week either. Your liver cannot cope with removing all that alcohol from your body on a regular basis.

Paracetamol and alcohol compete for the same metabolic pathways in your liver, so I believe in most cases, the alcohol will take over and beat the paracetamol, so it wont have as good an effect. Large doses of paracetamol (hence why you should only take 2 every 4 hours) can have SERIOUS consequences and cause liver and kidney damage. Large overdoses if not treated will cause damage - and remember your liver has a lot to do with how your blood clots, so you can actually bleed internally with liver damage, as well as having disturbances of the nervous system. A true paracetamol overdose is not pleasant - it can be very disressing, painful and debilitating....if it doesn't kill you.

Taking pain killers with codeine or similar in them and alcohol is a bad idea. They are both 'depressents' - not in the way they will make you feel low, but they depress/surpress your nervous system. Too much of both can make you sleepy and lower your respiratory rate...which can kill you if it drops too much.

The only other thing I'm going to say on here is recreational drugs all have major side effects - we've all heard about what E's can do to you in the press. Did you also know that coke can cause cardiac spasams - which have a similar effect to a heart attack!!! Its not just that they are addictive, alter your behaviour, cause crime and fund alot of the drug, knife and gun crime on our streets (have you ever though about where you're money is going????), they have MAJOR consequenses on your body, so if you want to live a normal, healthy life, stop doing drugs, cut down your alcohol intake, get some exercise, eat properly and you might live to see your kids and grandkids grow up! Otherwise you could be dead before you are 40!

http://www.pharmweb.net/pwmirror/pwy...armwebpic.html
    www.talktofrank.com/