Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

coughing up blood clots

does anyone know what sorts of ailments/infections or whatever could cause someone to cough up blood clots?

err, no idea.. why? are you suffering?
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

It isn't good, that's pretty obvious.

It depends what context you're coughing up blood though.

My advice would be to ring NHS Direct immediately. Their website actually advises anyone who coughs up blood to ring 999, so if this is happening to you, I'd begin to take it pretty serious.
    Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised.

The LJ Book Club

could be anything.
    but likely to be an ulcer.
    get it checked out asap.
    if you are coughing up blood it is pretty serious.
    or give nhs dircet a call on 0845 46 47.
    Good judgement comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgement.

i don't know, but if i was coughing up blood, i think i'd be finding out, asap, at the local casualty department.

unless you mean streaks of blood through phlegm, in which case it might be a chest infection, and seeing a doctor is a fab idea

Not likely to be an ulcer if she is coughing up blood rather than vomiting up blood.

Is it fresh blood or does it look like coffee ground?

Either way - docs immediately could be nothing serious or could be indicative of something serious
    Last edited by Panthro; 23-06-2005 at 07:08 PM.
    Imtheochaidh soir is siar
    A dtáinig ariamh an ghealach is an ghrian
    Imtheochaidh an ghealach's an ghrian
    An duine óg is a cháil 'na dhiadh
    Imtheochaidh a dtáinig ariamh
    An duine óg is a cháil ne dhiadh

didnt really want advice on what to do, just wondered if anyone has any examples of what sorts of things could cause someone to cough up blood clots (fresh red ones) eta: blood that is coming from the lungs not stomach

i havent been coughing them up

Gah i had that last year, They suspected TB even though ive had my BCG (have had it 2 times)
    "It's difficult to believe in yourself because the idea of self is an artificial construction. You are, in fact, part of the glorious one-ness of the universe. Everything beautiful in the world is within you. No-one really feels self-confident deep down because it's an artifical idea. Liberate yourself from that idea that people are watching you”

Quote Originally Posted by Char_Baby
    Gah i had that last year, They suspected TB even though ive had my BCG (have had it 2 times)
    what was causing it? if you dont mind me asking that is..

Could be alot of things - even a simple infection, but it is better be safe than sorry though

Take care
    x
    Imtheochaidh soir is siar
    A dtáinig ariamh an ghealach is an ghrian
    Imtheochaidh an ghealach's an ghrian
    An duine óg is a cháil 'na dhiadh
    Imtheochaidh a dtáinig ariamh
    An duine óg is a cháil ne dhiadh

was just an awful chest infection, not helped that i have asthma and smoke, with that though i had a horrible fever/hallucinations and fainting
    "It's difficult to believe in yourself because the idea of self is an artificial construction. You are, in fact, part of the glorious one-ness of the universe. Everything beautiful in the world is within you. No-one really feels self-confident deep down because it's an artifical idea. Liberate yourself from that idea that people are watching you”

Quote Originally Posted by Blah
    what was causing it? if you dont mind me asking that is..
    Can I make a suggestion, get a diagnosis from a doctor. I suspect that they have a little more knowledge about these things than most of the people on the boards.

Seriously, why wouldn't you do that.

Sorry, it's the heat, I'm getting crabby

Quote Originally Posted by Char_Baby
    was just an awful chest infection, not helped that i have asthma and smoke, with that though i had a horrible fever/hallucinations and fainting
    so coughing up blood is not necessarily something like lung cancer or something equally as serious? Did antibiotics clear up your bad chest infection?

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of Kent
    Can I make a suggestion, get a diagnosis from a doctor. I suspect that they have a little more knowledge about these things than most of the people on the boards.

Seriously, why wouldn't you do that.

Sorry, it's the heat, I'm getting crabby
    if u have read the rest of the thread you will see that i am not coughing up blood

Quote Originally Posted by Blah
    i havent been coughing them up
    can no-one ask a hypothetical question these days?

it was more of a viral thing (as they always say) so didnt give me anti biotics, just bed rest and slept it off, i felt too awful to be awake anyway