Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

Subscribe to newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which is worse-smoking or drinking?

Which of these do people consider worse for their health. smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol?

lets say...smoking 20 a day or drinking a few bevvies everday and getting drunk twice a week?

bit of a vague question... didn't really know how to phrase it.

i've always considered smoking to be owrse but my views are changing. now i think theyre as bad as each other. what are your views?
    " activity is the enemy of thought "

smoking is worse I think. Drinking alcohol in moderation isnt bad for you particularly, although binge drinking and getting drunk twice a week is too much, and not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow brite
    smoking is worse I think. Drinking alcohol in moderation isnt bad for you particularly, although binge drinking and getting drunk twice a week is too much, and not recommended.
    yeah i suppose each person is totally different. i drink far too much. get drunk more than twice a week and must stop soon. but then i don't smoke so i try to make myself feel better by that! daft i know.
    " activity is the enemy of thought "

i'd say smoking is worse.

they say that drinking certain things in moderation can actually be good for you (just red wine, or others too? not sure) but smoking is never good.

taken to excess i guess drinking can be just as bad as smoking, though.

smoking. i don't smoke, but i do drink. but i don't drink very often (when i do, i do though!).

smoking also harms other people whereas having a drink isn't forcing other people to drink. though i do realise obviously drink can lead to other problems with relationships and the likes.

Smoking is by far the worse of the two.
    I think I saw the sky tonight, pushing through it feels alright, and I just don't know who I wanna be.

I think both as as bad as each other in excess. Binge drinking certainly dangerous. I quit smoking a couple of years ago and can't even stand the smell of it now! I don't drink in loads anymore, just a few glasses of wine at the weekend mainly cause i can't cope with the hangovers anymore!!!

smoking. half the chemicals in cigs aren't identifiable - most of the stuff in alcohol is identified isnt it? plus alcohol isn't as adictive, most people get addicted to cigs who try them, alcoholics are usually using alcohol to cover something else up. alchohol is only harmful if its binged on.
    my lj -comment to be added

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more wisely.
    - Anonymous .

Anyone who thinks Sunshine is pure happiness has never danced in a summer rainstorm - Anon

I'd say smoking is worse out of the two

Quote Originally Posted by poisonfairy
    Which of these do people consider worse for their health. smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol?

lets say...smoking 20 a day or drinking a few bevvies everday and getting drunk twice a week?

bit of a vague question... didn't really know how to phrase it.

i've always considered smoking to be owrse but my views are changing. now i think theyre as bad as each other. what are your views?

Smoking every time.
    satehen

What's that coming over the hill? Is it satehen?

Surely they are as bad as each other in terms of damage caused when addicted. A casual smoker who smokes a couple of cigarettes a few times a week is not going to notice a massive difference in their health imo, the same as someone who drinks a few alcholic drinks a few times a week. But when it becomes a lifestyle and something more excessive like 5/6pints or more a night or a pack of 20 a day, i would say both are equally as serious. Another thing is that alcohol in the body can create external problems/injuries ie alcohol related car accidents and such like, i know its not exactly what you meant but i do consider that bad for your health and also other peoples.
    You don't have to die to become an angel.

personally i would think smoking is worse because the lungs are not as good as recovering as the liver.

there is no benefit at all to smoking

whilst a little alcohol is supposed to be good for you, like red wine for example .. but I truly think only a very small amount.

smoking ...and nicotine is the most addictive and destructive of all the recreational drugs used imo.

Smoking imho.

It really is a destructive downward slope.

Running my rig in a mighty high gear,
    I don't care where I go, so long as it ain't here,
    If something gets in my way, you know I'm gonna ram her,
    Nobody fools around with this gear jammer.