Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread

Time off work for interviews

Does anyone know where the law stands on getting time off from your current job to go for interviews elsewhere? Is it a legal requirement or can they stop you from going if you're contracted to work then?

I have an interview but it's 10am on a Tuesday. This is the set day for interviewing. My boss is a bitch and is curently making my working life hell 'cos she knows I want to leave.

I am owed 8 hours pay for extra hours I've worked. Would it be worth asking to take some of that time back, therefore appearing to be wanting to reach a compromise?
    Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised.

The LJ Book Club

Ask if she would let you have a day off for an interview, but don't tell her when. If she says no appear to accept it. On the morning of the interview call in sick.
    satehen

What's that coming over the hill? Is it satehen?

Not that I'd recommend lying, but you might want to pretend you've got a dentists or hospital appointment, rather than saying you're looking for another job
    She sang for mercy, for the living and the dead alike, for Bran and Rickon and Robb, for her sister Arya and her bastard brother Jon Snow, away off on the Wall. She sang for her mother and her father, for her grandfather Lord Hoster and her uncle Edmure Tully, for her friend Jeyne Poole, for old drunken King Robert, for Septa Mordane and Ser Dontos and Jory Casseland Maester Luwin, for all the brave knights and soldiers who would die today, and for thechildren and the wives who would mourn them

Quote Originally Posted by NQA
    Not that I'd recommend lying, but you might want to pretend you've got a dentists or hospital appointment, rather than saying you're looking for another job
    i agree.

hospital appointments usually work well, cause you are allocated a spot, and not really able to change it. but with your profession, it's a dangerous game.

dentist would work though.

Quote Originally Posted by NQA
    Wouldn't work, she'd ask to see the hospital letter (I work for the NHS) and I would be allowed paid leave for it.

The other problem I've now got is that another member of staff is on holiday that day. I've arranged cover for myself but they're still really going to be a staff member short. Argh! I can't even begin to discuss it with my manager 'cos she's barely at work these days.
    Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised.

The LJ Book Club

I know exactly what you mean mate! going through the exact same thing at the mo
    I'm a nice girl really