Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Romance

Romance

How can you make a guy romantic? My bf has never done anything romantic for me and I really wish he would. He says he can never think of anything but I don't think he really is trying. Any tips how I can make him more romantic?
    When my crowd doesn't like my style, I change my crowd, not my style!

http://kazlw.bebo.com

i'd say either a guy is or he isnt. personally i love supprising my gf and being romantic,because it gives me a buzz to see her happy. some people just see it as a waste of time though. their loss (or yours rather)

Quit trying to make him something he isn't. Would you like it if he wanted to make you funnier, or quieter for example? I doubt it. Being romantic is a personality trait - you either are or you aren't. Perhaps he isn't comfortable with being romantic.
    Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised.

The LJ Book Club

Sometimes, being all romantic and soppy can make people a little uncomfortable.
    Doesn't mean he doesn't care about you, etc.

Have you ever done anything for him?
    Possibly drop a few hints.
    I Love Purple

_guest Guest
    I think stereotypical romance is very overrated, and I think a lot of people (myself included) don't really buy into it and/or don't feel very comfortable with it.

Being female, I suppose there's less expectation for me to do romantic things, but I'd never expect my boyfriend to cook me a candlelit meal or send me flowers at work..to be honest it would make me cringe. There are some people who love that stuff though, and fair play to them.

I have to agree with the others who've said that you can't change him, if you try and create romantic situations etc then he may well feel uncomfortable. Does he do other things for you though? Like little gestures...remembering things, being considerate and thoughtful, sweet texts, unexpected phone calls...learn to treasure those things, because imo they're the things that make a relationship really special.

Blahhh, sorry I couldn't be more help, I can't really get my meaning across...but just because he isn't the Milk Tray man doesn't mean he doesn't love you

best thing to do is when he does something even a wee bit romantic, you thank him as if he tatooed your names on the moon, i bought my ex -gf :'( a big bar of dairy milk, a copy of my favourite book that she wanted to read and wrote her a letter, then called her while she was in school got her to meet me at the gate ran up gave her all the stuff and had a small chat and gave her a big kiss. She was so happy went all drippy and almost fell of the wall i was standing on, but it just made me want to do it as soon as possible, except better. So if you do something he'll really like especially if its sexual, cos thats were us guys think through, hell remember it and hell do it again but better to top himself (not kill himself) so that you pay back in a bigger way, then eventually he'll start doing in outve habit and wont expect anything in return... if he does he probably doesnt love you.

Originally posted by briggi
    I think stereotypical romance is very overrated, and I think a lot of people (myself included) don't really buy into it and/or don't feel very comfortable with it.

I'd never expect my boyfriend to cook me a candlelit meal or send me flowers at work..to be honest it would make me cringe.

Does he do other things for you though? Like little gestures...remembering things, being considerate and thoughtful, sweet texts, unexpected phone calls...learn to treasure those things, because imo they're the things that make a relationship really special.

..just because he isn't the Milk Tray man doesn't mean he doesn't love you
    agree with this.

and if you have someone who's not traditionally romantic, or who isn't romantic at all, if they do something romantic for you, even if it's not the kind of romance you see on films, it makes it all the more special. it's like they're not doing it to impress you, they're doing it because they really care.