Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

Subscribe to newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    BBC news
    Yes, thank you. Now read it again and tell me where it says that women are forced to wait up to 24 weeks for an abortion because the facilities aren't there...

Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Yes, thank you. Now read it again and tell me where it says that women are forced to wait up to 24 weeks for an abortion because the facilities aren't there...
    No, I wasn't saying that the wait itself is 24 weeks, just that an abortion requested fairly late anyway could be performed a few weeks later than when the request was made.

I'm sorry if my original comment seemed to imply otherwise, it wasn't what I meant.
    Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Sorry but that is just plain bollocks.
    I was going to say that!

Yes, as usual MoK is right. In my practice a woman can have an abortion within a week if the GP refers the day they are seen in surgery.

Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I was going to say that!

Yes, as usual MoK is right. In my practice a woman can have an abortion within a week if the GP refers the day they are seen in surgery.
    In my area the waiting time is unacceptably long, imo. 2 or 3 weeks is a long time in terms of foetal development. If you go private you can get it done much quicker. I have know girls carrying the foetus wanting an abortion (but still on the waiting list) and this is just such an awful time for them.

I don't know about the situation country-wide but this was the situation in the area that I went to school in, when I was at school. This was about 4 years ago so maybe drastic changes have since taken place.

The article that I posted also seems to say that some women living in some areas have to wait too long.
    Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

No, I wasn't saying that the wait itself is 24 weeks, just that an abortion requested fairly late anyway could be performed a few weeks later than when the request was made.

I'm sorry if my original comment seemed to imply otherwise, it wasn't what I meant.
    thing is, if someone requested an abortion at the last minute, like 13 weeks and 6 days, then they just might not be able to get one on the NHS, because it doesnt make it legal just because you ASKED before 14 weeks - it has to be PERFORMED before 14 weeks. If someone just decided at nearly 14 weeks then the chances are they would have to go private and get it done superfast, either that or go through with the pregnancy.

Wigan or googliland depending on blood alcohol level
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    thing is, if someone requested an abortion at the last minute, like 13 weeks and 6 days, then they just might not be able to get one on the NHS, because it doesnt make it legal just because you ASKED before 14 weeks - it has to be PERFORMED before 14 weeks. If someone just decided at nearly 14 weeks then the chances are they would have to go private and get it done superfast, either that or go through with the pregnancy.
    sorry but you've mentioned "14 weeks" alot, and I'm sure it was 24 weeks you could have an abortion - as in if you decide to have one you can have one and not just for disability reasons - that is what i'm saying is wrong - 24 weeks is too long a time frame to suddendly want an abortion.

If the true time frame is 14 weeks, can you find me some evidence please? I struggled finding the true numbers.

thanks
    WARNING:Posts could cause offence as prejudice against all walks of life

Originally posted by solid_L
    sorry but you've mentioned "14 weeks" alot, and I'm sure it was 24 weeks you could have an abortion - as in if you decide to have one you can have one and not just for disability reasons - that is what i'm saying is wrong - 24 weeks is too long a time frame to suddendly want an abortion.

If the true time frame is 14 weeks, can you find me some evidence please? I struggled finding the true numbers.

thanks
    The reason I mention 14 weeks, is because when I had an abortion, I was told they didnt do them after 14 weeks.
    Youre quite right though, from what I can find, the limit is 24 weeks, 14 weeks is the limit for surgical abortion - after that the foetus has to be induced and apparently its incredibly difficult to get one after 20 weeks, although for foetal abnormality or to protect the life of the mother, there is no legal limit.
    http://www.londoncolleges.com/ssg/during_4i.htm

solid_L, NHS Direct have a lot of information on abortion, including when it can be performed and under what circumstances. Brooke also have some very good information, as do the Family Planning Association.

In my area the waiting time is unacceptably long, imo. 2 or 3 weeks is a long time in terms of foetal development.
    What you miss there, though, is the other demands on these surgeons. Abortion is not "urgent" in terms of medical need. Someone can wait three weeks.

Someone with cancer cannot and you will find that the same surgeon will be performing both operations.

The other aspect is that there will be other patients awaiting surgery, some of whom will have already agreed the date for their surgery to take place. Do you suggest that these people should have to wait longer, in order to fit in an abortion which could be done a week or two later without inconveniencing anyone else?

If you go private you can get it done much quicker.
    Of course you can. You can get most procedures carried out quicker in the private sector. But then they don't have 55 million people making demands on their services do they? You cannot compare the two because they are no dealing with the same demands or the same medical conditions.

I have know girls carrying the foetus wanting an abortion (but still on the waiting list) and this is just such an awful time for them.
    And this is where working in the NHS gives me a different perspective. You are looking at single condition and I don't dispute that these girls and women have a tough emotional time whilst waiting for their TOP.

What I also have to consider is the patient with cancer, the patient awaiting a hysterectomy because she is bleeding excessively, the patient who has suffered a miscarriage and therefore needs an ERPC within two days (for example). I have to make sure that the needs of each of these patients is met as quickly as possible and it isn't currentl;y possible to carry out all of these procedures withn a week, even though each has very good grounds for precisely that.

The article that I posted also seems to say that some women living in some areas have to wait too long.
    I guess it depends on the definition of "too long". What annoyed me most about the article was the comment about women having TOPs more than 10 weeks into their pregnancy. The comparision of 70-odd% in one area and 26% in another. WHat the article didn't mention was at which point the women contacted their GP (did the second group present later?) and it didn't cover how many had their TOP the following week. Basically you could have had all women in the second group treated within 11 weeks, but this wasn't taken into account...