Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

Subscribe to newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wigan or googliland depending on blood alcohol level

Abortion Time frame

I've decided to do this on a separate thread as it is going off the point on the other abortion related thread.

Basically its argueing the legal time frame for abortions and was influenced by this:

Originally posted by kaffrin
    so long as they do it within the legal time frame.
    Now from what I know the time frame is too long, although I couldn't find out for certain on the internet I think you can legally have an abortion at the latest of 24 weeks in the UK. Now I think this is a bit too long.

You could have 2 rooms in a hospital side by side, 1 for premature babies and 1 for abortions. A baby could be being aborted at 24 weeks in 1 room whilst at the other the doctors are trying to save a premature baby delivered at 24 weeks: and with technology and techniques getting better and better it is possible for a baby to survive at this point. This means that a baby aborted at 24 weeks is being killed rather than aborted - as it may be able to survive on its own.

Now, like I said I couldn't back myself up, and 24 weeks may be a little early - it may be 25 or maybe a couple of weeks more from when a baby can survive: if anyone can find any facts etc. I'd like to read them.

What do you think? 24 weeks is too long a time frame?
    WARNING:Posts could cause offence as prejudice against all walks of life

You can't really say that until you can say for sure what life is. If you could, you could tell at what point life begins. If you knew that point, you'd know exactly when abortions shoud be illegal.
    "The exposure of truth sometimes results in tragedy... However! No matter how tragic the truth may be, it would be an even greater tragedy to avert one's eyes from it." ~Miles Edgeworth
    ---
    If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.
    ---
    The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility, and vice versa.

if a baby was prematurely born at 24weeks it couldnt support itself and needs to be in one of those cubicle things giving it purer oxygen and nutrients

You might also want to look at the stages of pregnancy at which certain tests are possible...

I'd like to know what could cause a woman to wait 24 weeks before having an abortion in the first place? (excluding medical problems with the baby)

ShyBoy is offline Born on Earth, raised on TheSite.org
    Originally posted by Sami
    I'd like to know what could cause a woman to wait 24 weeks before having an abortion in the first place? (excluding medical problems with the baby)
    the massive double guessing i suppose. any doctor would say if you want to abort the sooner the better - but it's not exactly an easy decision to make. so they have to think about it and i guess it can take a long time.

you can have abortions after 24 weeks for health reasons. pro-life groups call abortion at this kind of period infanticide, and ill spare you the details of how they abort because it's quite gruesome.

p.s im pro-choice
    Be happy, accept those you care for, and live your life in a manner true to yourself, those you care for, and the values you hold dear to your heart.
    -- Click To See More

They wouldnt. its illegal at that stage unless for cases of extreme disabilities. In those cases there is no limit. Technically they could abort any time up to term.
    For just a normal abortion for non disability reasons, the cut off limit is much lower- I think its 14 weeks.
    The reason why people have late abortions in cases of disability rather than early abortions, is because usually the only way of knowing that the foetus is disabled is either at the 18 week blood test, the 20 week ultrasound scan or the amniocentisis (offered to high risk mothers only) at around the same stage.
    Disabilities cant be picked up any earlier than this, and that is why the cut off date for abortions for this reason is so late.
    I personally feel conflicted about it and have no idea what id do if I ever (God forbid) found myself in the situation having to make that decision. I do think its right that people have the choice though, and theres no realistic way of making the cut off point any lower.

Originally posted by rainbow brite
    They wouldnt. its illegal at that stage unless for cases of extreme disabilities. In those cases there is no limit. Technically they could abort any time up to term.
    For just a normal abortion for non disability reasons, the cut off limit is much lower- I think its 14 weeks.
    The reason why people have late abortions in cases of disability rather than early abortions, is because usually the only way of knowing that the foetus is disabled is either at the 18 week blood test, the 20 week ultrasound scan or the amniocentisis (offered to high risk mothers only) at around the same stage.
    Disabilities cant be picked up any earlier than this, and that is why the cut off date for abortions for this reason is so late.
    I personally feel conflicted about it and have no idea what id do if I ever (God forbid) found myself in the situation having to make that decision. I do think its right that people have the choice though, and theres no realistic way of making the cut off point any lower.
    OK, thanks for the info, Rainbow Brite.

In a medical situation, I'm glad that people do have the choice.

Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    the massive double guessing i suppose. any doctor would say if you want to abort the sooner the better - but it's not exactly an easy decision to make. so they have to think about it and i guess it can take a long time.

This is the sad thing. The people who have late abortions generally didnt want to have the abortion, Its a hugely traumatic thing and they actually have to give birth to the child. Its not the sort of thing someone would go through unless they felt they had no other choice.
    Not so long ago, possibly our parents or at least our grandparents generation, there werent the tests available to test for these conditions. A lot of children were actually still born - nowadays they can tell if a baby has conditions incompatible with life, and the abortion is to save the mother going through a pregnancy where the baby wont survive anyway. Other children who were severely disabled were generally put into homes for their entire lives and the parents encouraged to forget about them. People have never before been `expected` to parent seriously disabled children
    (im saying this in advance before people say that people should keep their disabled children)
    I have every admiration for the people that do look after high needs disabled children though.

A woman may not realise that she is pregnant for a long time. If her period are irregular or she is approaching menopause or has an eating disorder or is under extreme stress then she may not be able to tell anyway.

Also the NHS waiting list to have an abortion is very long. So an abortion performed at 24 weeks may have been requested some time ago.

The woman's personal situation may have changed greatly since conceiving and she may feel that she is no longer in a position to have a child. For example if she has split up with her partner and has lost her job she may feel unable to have the baby.
    Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Originally posted by Randomgirl
    A woman may not realise that she is pregnant for a long time. If her period are irregular or she is approaching menopause or has an eating disorder or is under extreme stress then she may not be able to tell anyway.

Also the NHS waiting list to have an abortion is very long. So an abortion performed at 24 weeks may have been requested some time ago.

The woman's personal situation may have changed greatly since conceiving and she may feel that she is no longer in a position to have a child. For example if she has split up with her partner and has lost her job she may feel unable to have the baby.
    None of those would be considered reasons to have a late termination. They would all be considered reasons for having an early abortion though - up to 14 weeks.
    The waiting list for abortions arent that long - they cant be. Its usually 2 or 3 weeks max.
    Just to clarify.

Originally posted by Randomgirl
    Sorry but that is just plain bollocks.

Not only do women in these circumstances have rapid access to outpatient clinics, but once the decision is made the operation usually takes place on the next available operating list.

To suggest that the NHS would make a woman waits weeks for thier TOP is just the sort of thing I would expect from a tabloid, not from this site. Unless you have evidence to back this up pf course...

Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    To suggest that the NHS would make a woman waits weeks for thier TOP is just the sort of thing I would expect from a tabloid, not from this site. Unless you have evidence to back this up pf course...
    I studied this sometime ago and it was certainly true then. But that was 5 years ago, the situation may have improved since then.

on the NHS it's very quick - a matter of weeks,
    Last edited by byny; 27-11-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Unless you have evidence to back this up pf course...
    BBC news

Anne Weyman, FPA chief executive, said: "Many women find themselves ruled out of suitable, safe methods of early abortion due to delays in the system or inadequate funding at local level.