Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

Closed Thread

Unhappy methadone and the social stigma

Hello all.....I am new here and love this website....I miss living in the U.K. but love my life here in Albuquerque, New Mexico too. For all those who live in England, how was the 4 day Jubillee? Is Ozzy Osbourne a phenomenon there like he is here?

On to my subject:

I quit drugs 7 years ago (mainly heroin) with the help of a methadone program which I still attend for counseling and medication.....(stopping is statistically about 3-5%, voluntarily that is...most die, go to prison, return to heroin, or other substances......I am a semi-success story. I stopped ALL drug use and alcohol use at age 26....however....

I take a daily dose of 60 milligrams of methadone, which allows me to work, and not feel high nor crave opiates. I also have been diagnosed as an adult with ADHD (15-20% of kids with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder do not outgrow it)...and was last year placed on Ritalin again(last time I was 15)...and it helps me concentrate.....my doctor is aware of my drug addiction potential, so my roommate keeps my meds under lock and key for my own safety at my request....

I feel sort of guilty at using mind altering drugs but I am not abusing them nor being dishonest. I live a life of freedom and fear not the police or anything except....

the social "stigma" attatched with being on methadone...I am labelled and immediately considered by anyone who knows that I am a homeless junkie theif, or worse....and my parents instilled alot of these guilt feelings....

I was not given any raises at work, and turned down many a job I interveiwed for because the drug test showed methadone in it (despite the presciption)....and I earn less than 1/3 of my peers.

I would like any advice or feedback......LOUBOY aka
    psionicky@yahoo.com

Wrong forum but as it has been moved to drugs I'll close this one.

Abandon all despair, ye who enter here