Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Experiences of living with a learning disability

Hey guys.

I have been thinking of posting this thread for a while, but wasn't sure about posting but then with some encouragement I decided to post it.

I have a learning disability. I have dyspraxia. I have had it my whole life and I have learnt to deal with things differently.

It affects me in the sense that it takes me a lot longer to complete tasks, so paperwork at work is difficult for me, and I have no time awareness or space awareness, which means that I have to leave more time to get to places and I am usually always falling over or bumping into things. Am I seen to be 'clumsy' to others? I'm not sure but I often worry about how other see me

I struggle with my emotions and I will have good and bad days. I take things quite literally so if someone says something to me, as a joke, I will take it personally. I also don't like change, and if plans are changes at the last minute I don't deal with this very well.

I have really poor concentration so I can't really focus on anything for a long period of time without getting 'bored', and I forget things quite easily so I have to write things down. It's like at work if I am told to go and get some paint, then glue, then some paper, and then go to another room and ask a member of staff something, I will only remember the "get some paint" I wont remember anything else.

Everyday I have to face tasks that are quite hard for me and it upsets me that I can't do these tasks as easy as other people could. Sometimes I don't really like the person I am and feel pretty alone. I cope because I have to.

I guess the point of this thread is to see if others have had similar experiences with learning difficulties and how you have coped, I am not moaning about having dyspraxia. I always remember this quote

Think ability not disability

This quote is personal to me as it is something my maths tutor used to always say to me when I was doing my maths qualification for my level three in Childcare. It has always stuck with me cos it's something that meant a lot to me when I was really struggling with the learning. So it's pretty personal to me, it helped me through when I just wanted to quit.
    "If you bring the sunshine, I'll bring the good times. Just add your laughter, it's happy ever after. I don't know about you, but that sounds good to me."

"Think ability, not disability"

Claire,

BRAVO!!! Well done for being able to share this on TheSite.org message boards, it really helps getting more off an idea of how you cope, and how alternative learning dissabilities effect different people in different ways. I'm proud of you I'm glad someone was able to give you a push to be able to post this on TheSite.org message boards!

Best wishes,
    Angel

Thank you so much Angel

I have wanted to post it for a while. But wasn't sure how it would go down on the boards. So thank you so much for your positive response.
    "If you bring the sunshine, I'll bring the good times. Just add your laughter, it's happy ever after. I don't know about you, but that sounds good to me."

Thanks for posting this.

I'm Autistic and a lot of what you've said in your post sounds familiar.

It's okay Melian.

I hope it has helped you somehow seeing this thread.

I've had dyspraxia and dyslexia all my life but I was only diagnosed when I was 17. It's really difficult to explain how my brain works - I like to think of it as neuro-diversity: essentially my brain is wired differently from the majority of people. I do think differently to most people - I'm a lateral thinker in every sense, which can make things difficult at times, it's just a case of trial and error at finding what what works for you. For me I find using apps and having everything digitised makes a big difference.
    Life is a hard race

Its an uphill battle
    Like being shackled to a rock, struggling up the mountain

But the elation at the top of every peak
    Is worth all the heart ache and every tear

One Eye on the Unknown

Thank you for your reply MissR

I guess I am jus feeling really alone bout it all.

When you say apps? what do you mean?

Also do you notice that it affects your emotions?

Apps - I use Evernote to make notes, write down anything I need. It syncs to all my devices so I've got it all wherever I am. I make use of ICal (google calendar works really well for android and windows phones it seems). Unstuck is helpful at times, and making the most of Siri.

Sometimes it does effect my emotions - it's easy to get overwhelmed when I can't express myself or when I'm having sensory overload.
    Life is a hard race

Its an uphill battle
    Like being shackled to a rock, struggling up the mountain

But the elation at the top of every peak
    Is worth all the heart ache and every tear

One Eye on the Unknown

I guess Apps do help. I have a few that I use and I also write everything down in a notebook, whether that be things to do with work or my personal life.

I am going to my doctor to discuss this cos recently my moods have been worse and I think it's linked to having dyspraxia.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Riot View Post
    Sometimes it does effect my emotions - it's easy to get overwhelmed when I can't express myself or when I'm having sensory overload.
    I find this a lot and have found I can't actually talk if I've got sensory overload.

What do you mean sensory overload?

When it gets too loud or there's too many lights. I'm too sensitive to light and too much light is physically painful and I used to get migraine if I went outside on a sunny day without my cap. I now have to wear tinted lens.

Usually, if there are many people around having different conversations, it develops into one loud and painful noise.

Some of us are too sensitive to noise, light, etc. So what sounds quiet to you, for some of us, it's very loud.

Ooh I understand.

I get a bit like that in busy places not so much people talking but jus generally like having loads of people around me, I get panicky and I struggle to like be in control of what I am doing, hope that makes some sort of sense.

I get that too. It's more with large groups of strange people than anything else.

Sounds tough.

I don't feel as alone now I have posted this thread, knowing that others are going through similar. I guess people jus learn ways of doing things differently and coping