Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Housing problems, again.

Ok will try explain this as best I can, sorry its probs going to be a long one.

I have been living in a student house since sept, It's not uni provided accommodation, it's a seperate company, anyway when I signed the contract at the beginning of the year, they did not give a specific date of when the tenancy ends (I assumed it would be after graduation or just before (July-ish)), After emailing the accommodation place a month ago asking for a date which I need to leave, they replied a week ago saying I need to be out within two weeks (June 21st) Are they allowed to do that? Only give me two weeks notice? Is it different rules for student housing?

I did have somewhere to move into after the student house, but it wasn't supposed to be so soon, the house I was meant to move into isn't ready yet and I don't have the money yet to afford to pay them rent even if it was ready, (I'm putting in a claim for JSA, but takes couple of weeks and I don't have an address to give them, what do I say? Do I tell them I'm homeless? Or soon to be? I don't know how it works) and I need to apply for Local Housing Allowance as I can't afford the rent and its private rented but its the only choice I have so I don't end up homeless again. I don't have anywhere else to move into in the meantime, am I gonna have to go down the hostel route again until this house is ready?

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is anything that can be done? It's really stressing me out! Is there any way of persuading the student accommodation place of allowing me to stay a bit longer? Although I can't pay them any more money as I have literally nothing, I have around £14 to my name which is quite tragic it's almost funny! because a huge chunk of bills was just paid (which is stupid aswell because the payment is going into July when I'm not even going to be there!)

This should have been sorted a long time ago if I wasn't so stupid, I should have found out sooner when I needed to move out. There's sooo much to sort out it's really getting me down, I'm throwing most of my possessions away because I know that I'm not going to find somewhere within a week! What will happen if I don't move my stuff? Will they throw it all away? I have nowhere to take it all so what will happen to it. I'm really stuck
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow

“People who are homeless are not social inadequates. They are people without homes.”

Well, I'm not totally sure I can be very helpful, but ALL of my university houses had tenancies that ended just after the end of term and WELL before when graduation would have been for that year. Obviously students can do a lot of damage and having a month or two to sort out the house or even redecorate it is normal.

Your current landlord may allow you to stay, but they will expect you to pay.

Are there any friends or family you can stay with in the interim?
    "We're Starfleet officers, weird is part of the job." (Capt. Janeway)

if you signed a contract with the housing people, the notice agreement period will be on there and if its not two weeks they can't actually kick you out...

I get that they need to time to sort the houses out and stuff and that's fine, but the thing that annoyed me is they didn't tell me a specific date I had to be out, they didn't even mention which month! On the contract it doesn't say when it ends, It gives the dates which I pay my rent and doesn't say what date it goes upto. It doesn't even mention anything about notice agreement or whatever it is.

I don't have anyone else I can stay with, had this trouble last year before the student house.

“People who are homeless are not social inadequates. They are people without homes.”

Seems odd there's no end of tenancy date in the contract. I take it there's no mention of notice period either? I would point this out to the company and ask if there's any way you can stay on a bit longer until your new house is ready. Otherwise I think the standard procedure would be for you to give 1 months notice and the landlord 2 months notice before moving out. Might also be worth speaking to your uni accommodation dept to see whether they could put you up or store your things until your new place is ready. Shelter are also pretty good with advising on tenancy issues, so if you have no joy with your agent or uni it might be worth taking your contract to them to have a look through.

There should have been an end date in the contract. If there wasn't one then really my view is that it is a periodic tenancy, which means that they have to give you at least two months notice to leave. The problem is, of course, that you will be liable for the rent during the notice period, which may be a problem given your finances, although you can claim for LHA from the day your course officially ends.

If you decide to hang around they can't kick you out without a court order, of course. But the court fees will be added to the debt (although that's easily sorted with a Debt Relief Order!)
    Can you hold me like you held someone you shouldn't have let go?
    Can you keep me deep inside like the regrets that burned a hole?
    Can you love me like you loved someone you loved so long ago?

Oh what a mess. I don't think I'll stick around for court fees, will be too much hassle and I wouldn't even know where to start. What about crisis loans from JC? Anybody know if you can apply for those while a claim for JSA is going through? I still need to apply for LHA but dont have an address to give them yet.
    Too much to think about you'd think I'd be familiar with this situation by now but I don't even know what to do, thick.

In theory you can apply, but the whole crisis loan thing is being wound down now (LAs will take over, but the funding isn't ring-fenced, you know where this is going...)

I was meaning that you can claim LHA for your current property!
    Can you hold me like you held someone you shouldn't have let go?
    Can you keep me deep inside like the regrets that burned a hole?
    Can you love me like you loved someone you loved so long ago?

Hey there hmmm7,

Sorry to hear about the dilemma you are in at the moment.

Has there been any changes since you last posted?

I agree with Arctic Roll that your tenancy sounds like a periodic tenancy if there was no end date and that you could apply for LHA at your current address.

However, have you spoken to your current landlord about the situation you are in? They may be willing to let you stay where you are until your new place is ready for you to move in (and not necessarily for the full 2 months notice they should give you).

This does mean paying rent where you currently live until the move, but as above, as you can apply for LHA now. Then when you move to your new place you can apply for LHA there.

As for which address to use for JSA - you can use your current address to apply for JSA when you course ends as then inform them of any change of address when you next sign on.

This page on the DirectGov website may help - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...its/DG_4016267

Hope this helps.

If I'm honest, the handbag I would probably like most is a big, hollowed-out potato with handles on it. A giant King Edward with satchel straps. Then, in times of crisis, I could bake and eat the handbag, and survive the winter.
    How to be a woman, Caitlin Moran, 2011. Ebury Press.

Have been to see the uni accommodation place to ask if there's any chance I can stay, they said they do allow people to stay over the summer but only if they can pay up front, i mentioned about LHA but they said they don't take weekly payment only in advance which is a bit stupid really.
    so it's looking like I'm moving on Thursday just don't know where to, am going to try council but I never have any luck with them I dont know what's goingto happen

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Roll View Post
    There should have been an end date in the contract. If there wasn't one then really my view is that it is a periodic tenancy, which means that they have to give you at least two months notice to leave. The problem is, of course, that you will be liable for the rent during the notice period, which may be a problem given your finances, although you can claim for LHA from the day your course officially ends.

If you decide to hang around they can't kick you out without a court order, of course. But the court fees will be added to the debt (although that's easily sorted with a Debt Relief Order!)
    Completely agree with the above.

Private halls are fuckwits.

Have you tried spareroom.co.uk? Loads of students rent their room out over summer on there.

Promise me you'll always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ― Winnie-the-Pooh

Good idea thanks, going to have a look on there. Might be one for a couple of weeks with a bit of luck, fingers crossed. At least I have somewhere to move into soon, that's something to look forward to, just gotta keep waiting right? It'll all be okay in the end...

Heya Hmmm7, I've just had a quick flick through the posts on this thread, not much detail though as i'm tired. But I just wanted you to know you're not on your own and I will help in any way I can. Can I ask where abouts in the UK you are? It's just that I know different places offer different kinds of support.

I had a similar issue and was in your shoes. I was at university in a student house, I moved from one house to another, but over the summer found out I had lost my uni place due to my disability. I was already sofa surfing with friends over summer holidays due to not having a home to go to like many other people. But I now had no where to live after the summer, no where to keep my life;s worth of belongings, and I had already paid a deposit on my new coming house of over £750 of which I couldn't get back after the tenancy and I had to find someone to replace me as I couldn't stay there without student status!! Complicatedness or what!! I had student debts, was nearly over my overdraft, no income what so ever and no one seemed to be helping at all. I was lucky in the fact that I had friends to stay with but moving allllll the time with so much stuff was tiring and energy draining and upsetting. Feeling like a charity case and unwanted and unhelped. There's light at the end of the tunnel though. I finally got my ESA sorted and was able to stay with a few friends a bit more long term. After declaring myself homeless with Cov Council, they said I wasnt a priority despite being disabled and having no family. Whilst having friends who are willing to put you up, they're not interested in helping, they just advise private renting which is too expensive even with housing benefits. It's crazy. I finally got put into a hostel type place, run by a company called the Foyer Federation or something like that. There maybe one in your area? you can stay there until the age of 24. It's not great, but it's better than other options and it's a roof over your head for a bit more long term?? You can also get Crisis loans, food tokens and stuff for food banks and you can get like help towards paying deposits and stuff for housing. But if you have a Foyer in your area and stuff then they help with all that kinda stuff. There's more help than i've reallised out there, you just have to push for it. Don't give up, demand all the help you need otherwise you won't get it. Also, whether you are a christian or not, local churches tend to help out with like food and stuff, they sometimes proved tokens and vouchers and stuff, I know we as a church do. Being part of a local church has kept a roof over my head and there's so much help and support through it. I'm not saying you have to go join a church, i'm just saying it's an option if you get really stuck for food and stuff due to money situations. If I can be of any help at all, please let me know. Even if it's just encouragement, i've moved over 32 times in 11 months, it's tough. But you can get through it, there's hope in it and one day you'll look back and see how far you've come, in a little place of your own Stay strong, hang in there. Rach x

Hey hmmm7

Thank you bubbleyberry for sharing your personal experiences and more places to find support/assistance, I hope it gives hmmm7 some hope to hang on in there.

Any further news since you last posted, hmmm7? Have you moved yet? If so, where did you move to?

If I'm honest, the handbag I would probably like most is a big, hollowed-out potato with handles on it. A giant King Edward with satchel straps. Then, in times of crisis, I could bake and eat the handbag, and survive the winter.
    How to be a woman, Caitlin Moran, 2011. Ebury Press.

Hi sorry I've taken so long to reply, haven't been able to get on internet! This is from a friends mobile so hopefully it will work. I did move,but had to move to a hostel with most of my stuff being stored at a friends house for now. The person I was due to move in with decided she didn't want a housemate now, which is fair enough, nothing I can do about that. So still moving around atm, keep sending me different places, still looking for somewhere more permanent, council don't look like they'll be offering anywhere anytime soon, still not a priority so looking at private rent, its just finding someone who will accept LHA. I am desperately trying to get a job too, applying for everything!
    So has been a crazy couple of weeks, but on the plus side... I graduated yesterday, passed my degree Now I've just gotta figure out what to do with it! Thanks for all your help