Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Did facebook kill off internet forums?

Let's face it, this place (as well as hundreds of others on the web) is DEAD.

I remember visiting here years ago, maybe 2005/2006 and it was a hive of activity. Is it time to collectively accept defeat and hang up those forum boots? People just ain't interested any more it seems

I think closing down the place would be a severe overreaction but it's true forums aren't what they were.
    "The exposure of truth sometimes results in tragedy... However! No matter how tragic the truth may be, it would be an even greater tragedy to avert one's eyes from it." ~Miles Edgeworth
    ---
    If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.
    ---
    The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility, and vice versa.

I much prefer coming here than using facebook. The sooner facebook ceases to exist the better.
    Whowhere, neither here nor there.

Skive is offline No discipline! No morality! No respect!
    First and foremost this is a place to get advice, often anonymously. Facebook is no substitute for that. Would like this place to be a bit by busier tho.
    Doves, Playboys, Biscuits, Barrels, Callies, Clear Caps, China Whites, Rhubarbs, Loony Toons, New Yorkers... you know, bang on, larging it, the full monty, safe as houses, pair of trousers, what a laugh, let's do another half!

Quote Originally Posted by Skive View Post
    First and foremost this is a place to get advice, often anonymously. Facebook is no substitute for that. Would like this place to be a bit by busier tho.
    Exactly. Facebook is good for organising meet ups, having a laugh, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Whowhere View Post
    I much prefer coming here than using facebook. The sooner facebook ceases to exist the better.
    would be a shame, as its one of the only ways me and Gs family get to see pics of the kids etc

Quote Originally Posted by Whowhere View Post
    No joke!

I can't say FB will replace forums, but I can sure say it's not my favorite way to connect with people.

Is this a bit like video killing the radio star?
    I was sitting down with a few doing what we do
    connected and focused we were practicing tongue-foo.

oh-a oh-a

Its true. Most of the forums are getting inactive now because of facebook. But for some users, forums are still very important. Whether it may be for finding information or asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by sharona View Post
    Its true. Most of the forums are getting inactive now because of facebook.

Agree completely. How do we make it busy again?!

I think it wasnt facebook, just people getting older. I mean forums all over the place were flourished with users, back when the internet was still a relatively new thing for many. Those who are starting to use it now, have already been exposed to it from a relatively young age and might just not be steered towards places like this anymore.
    "Sometimes it's worth making your own opportunities instead of waiting for others"

Quote Originally Posted by G-Raffe View Post
    I think it wasnt facebook, just people getting older. I mean forums all over the place were flourished with users, back when the internet was still a relatively new thing for many. Those who are starting to use it now, have already been exposed to it from a relatively young age and might just not be steered towards places like this anymore.
    Ooh, remember the days of yahoo chat!

Things come and go, they serve their purpose and sometimes something comes along to replace it. As others have said, I don't think you can really compare a website forum ment to help people and give advice with facebook. Apples and oranges. Other forums may be dead, or something better might have come along. I think they still serve their purpose
    Of all the mistakes you've made, the best are yet to come.

If you had to deal with stuff at work like I do because of Facebook you'd want to see it gone too!
    Graffe, I think you're right, it's a shame too