Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Bring on HS2?

  1. #1
    brunettebarbie's Avatar
    brunettebarbie is offline Imagination, life is your creation
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Barbie World
    Posts
    1,300

    Bring on HS2?

    What is your opinion on the developments of HS2?

    Do you want 32 billion pounds spent on a fast track train link?

    Are any of you concerned about damaging our villages and wildlife in small areas?

    Are you for or against?

    "i'm finding a meaning. Once you say, finally 'now i've got it,' then you've lost it, because you're dragging it down to something very limited. It's an on-going process and the meaning of life itself. One is continually going into the depths of yourself, discovering a strength, a presence perhaps, in heart of yourself." Karen Armstrong


    I know you're after me but leave the devices out

    "They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." ~Andy Warhol~

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    I'm not sure what to think of this, as its something I dont think I will ever have much use for.

    As for the environment, if we had followed and upheld every concern over the years, I firmly believe that we would still be stuck in the dark ages compared to the rest of the developed world.

    I'm not wholesale against this HS2 line, or even for it; though I will have to do further pondering when someone else (with better train knowledge) comes along and explains what £32bn could do in terms upgrading and making the current rail network better.
    "Sometimes it's worth making your own opportunities instead of waiting for others"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    20,829
    The difference HS1 used to make to my journeys in and out of London when I was in Canterbury was amazing. And that was a NICE freakin' train.

    I can't remember where HS2 is going (and I am too lazy to look), but I've sat on scummy trains between Newcastle and London for hours at a time and so I'm all for a nice, speedy upgrade to services up to the north.
    ...there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

    'Franki is a wise one. Even if she hides it well sometimes' ~ Scary Monster
    'that's because you're perfect Franki' ~ Broken-Angel
    'I salute you Franki' ~ **helen**
    'I agree with everything that Franki has said' ~ Melian
    'You're a genius' ~ piccolo
    'Franki's right as usual' ~ James

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by frankipanda View Post
    The difference HS1 used to make to my journeys in and out of London when I was in Canterbury was amazing. And that was a NICE freakin' train.

    I can't remember where HS2 is going (and I am too lazy to look), but I've sat on scummy trains between Newcastle and London for hours at a time and so I'm all for a nice, speedy upgrade to services up to the north.
    If I could get a direct route from London to Newcastle I would be all for it.

    Vague route details here http://www.snag-against-hs2.org/system.asp
    "Sometimes it's worth making your own opportunities instead of waiting for others"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    4,161
    Every person in the UK - man, woman and child - already shoulders nearly £16k because of our governments' complete inability to comprehend tax and spend. £32 billion only works out at another £500 each. Chuck it on I say. And right through the greenbelt for good measure.
    I was sitting down with a few doing what we do
    connected and focused we were practicing tongue-foo.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by CptCoatHanger View Post
    Every person in the UK - man, woman and child - already shoulders nearly £16k because of our governments' complete inability to comprehend tax and spend. £32 billion only works out at another £500 each. Chuck it on I say. And right through the greenbelt for good measure.
    I always thought that when people quote the £16k per person, its just to highlight exactly how massive the debt it, not actually how much a family themselves owe?

    Just remember that there was just as much uproar and complaints against cars and even steam trains. Way back in the day, it was thought that the argument against stream trains was that seeing one would make a pregnant woman miscarry.
    "Sometimes it's worth making your own opportunities instead of waiting for others"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Somewhere in the UK
    Posts
    10,195
    I really don't see the point in a country as small as the UK. So 30 minutes will be saved between London and Birmingham, what exactly is the point? You'd think for 32 billion quid they'd be able to halve that, especially considering a car journey to London from Birmingham only takes a couple of hours anyway.
    Whowhere, neither here nor there.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Whowhere View Post
    especially considering a car journey to London from Birmingham only takes a couple of hours anyway.
    more like

    Quote Originally Posted by Whowhere View Post
    especially considering a car journey to London from Birmingham *SHOULD* only take a couple of hours anyway.
    "Sometimes it's worth making your own opportunities instead of waiting for others"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    4,161
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Raffe View Post
    I always thought that when people quote the £16k per person, its just to highlight exactly how massive the debt it, not actually how much a family themselves owe?
    Yeah, whoever the hell we're still borrowing money from doesn't have an IOU with 'G-Raffe = £16k' written on it. It's just a way of trying to comprehend how much £1 trillion is. Did you know that if you paid off the debt at a quid a second, without interest, it'd take you 30,000 years?

    Just remember that there was just as much uproar and complaints against cars and even steam trains. Way back in the day, it was thought that the argument against stream trains was that seeing one would make a pregnant woman miscarry.
    I'm not against HS2, per se. I just reckon there's better ways of spunking thirty-two billion quid - 1000 years (no interest) at a quid a second, if you're interested.
    I was sitting down with a few doing what we do
    connected and focused we were practicing tongue-foo.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    I agree with you on that point, like I said above I'd like to find out exactly what £32bn could do in terms of improving the rail network as it is.

    I'd be more at ease if rather than a little bit of HS2, they had (not so very)HS2 which was more wide spread. Perhaps might not knock 20% off a journey from one single place to another, but I'm a great believer that people will be more satisfied if we can make a 5% improvement accross the whole country, not necessartily with speed, but punctuality, repairs et al.
    "Sometimes it's worth making your own opportunities instead of waiting for others"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by CptCoatHanger View Post
    I'm not against HS2, per se. I just reckon there's better ways of spunking thirty-two billion quid - 1000 years (no interest) at a quid a second, if you're interested.
    .....tell me more.........
    "Sometimes it's worth making your own opportunities instead of waiting for others"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    24,865
    theres plenty of train services could be vastly improved without making a tgv to fucking birmingham

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Real Life.
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by frankipanda View Post
    The difference HS1 used to make to my journeys in and out of London when I was in Canterbury was amazing. And that was a NICE freakin' train.
    Totally agree with this and, having recently read the City Council minutes reviewing the impact, I'm aware that the economic impact has been okay locally. Nothing stunning though. Let's face it though, the only reason HS1 exists is because of the Channel Tunnel link, not because it was built in it's own right.

    Personally, if we are going to spend £32bn then I'd rather it was to improve the existing services rather than create a new one. I cannot see that 30 minutes change in time is really worth it. The costs are inflated to avoid political problems for the Tories too.

    I can't remember where HS2 is going (and I am too lazy to look), but I've sat on scummy trains between Newcastle and London for hours at a time and so I'm all for a nice, speedy upgrade to services up to the north.[/QUOTE]
    Did you ever go to a place - I think it was called Norway?
    That was one of mine. Won an award, you know. Lovely crinkly edges...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    not-England-at-the-moment
    Posts
    2,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    if we are going to spend £32bn
    and lets face it... it'll actually be over budget... most of the governments ideas are...

    I personally think that it's a waste of money, land and time. They should use that money for other things... NHS, education, public sector jobs... I know building the HS2 will create some jobs, but I also don't have confidence that they'll be British jobs.... like the trains contracted to be made in Germany whilst Bombardier struggled.
    "The planet is fine.... the people are fucked. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    813
    Normally I'd be in support of this, but I'm going to be honest: I'm not. I can't ever imagine that people's mindsets will change in the way I've experienced in Germany to the extent that a large number of people would commute Manchester to London or vice versa on a daily basis. It's meant to improve mobility et al, yeah, but it's going to put train prices up even further thus actually reducing the number of people who can actually afford to take these trains.
    I'm all for improving the infrastructure, but what about some more tracking at squeeze points? Some more carriages where they're needed?
    I honestly don't see the UK as being somewhere that would benefit from such a high-speed line like France and Germany have done.
    I am Kate in chat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Show site map

TheSite.org is delivered by YouthNet UK. Registered charity number: 1048995