Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knitting folk!

Knitting folk!

Hey guysss

I know lots of you knit

I've just started up again as a distraction but I'm not very good! I can't start things, or finish them, pretty much just the bit in between, and no fancy stuff. So at the moment knitting a scarf

It's my birthday coming up and I'm a bit stuck on stuff to ask for, so I thought I'd ask for some sort of knitting book. (The basics). Any recommendations? Or is is better to use stuff on the net? To be honest, I doubt I'd want to knit clothes, (just scarves, and maybe more fancy scarves) but how hard is it to make like little animals or something?

Thanks
    There's only one way of life
    And that's your own, your own, your own

One Way - The Levellers

(I'd really like to be able to knit my boyfriend a penguin :P)

One Way - The Levellers

I found the book 'Stitch and Bitch' by Debbie Stoller to be really good for the basics and it's quite funny too. It has a variety of basic patterns and talks you through the techniques. It is the first knitting book I got, the one I learnt the basics from.

To knit a penguin there is a cute pattern in the book 'Knitted Toys' by Fiona McTague at skill level 1. I knit the duck from this book and ity was fairly easy. Alternatively do a search on www.ravelry.com (if you aren't on this website already it's amazing for knitters!) and lots of patterns will come up.

I'm really glad you are knitting, I have found it really helpful for my mental health.
    Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Thanks!

I've joined up to Ravelry (yellowseahorse is my name) and I found this chap! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/penguin-19

It looks pretty hard, and I have no idea what anything means, but it is something to work towards

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm well excited now

One Way - The Levellers

Do you know that one you found is crocheted not knitted? But there are plenty of knitted ones on there too. I'm R-girl on Ravelry.
    Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Theres a whole load of us on ravelry from here.

I'm probably twisted_trinity on ravely, i tend to only use it for pattern finding.

I love the stitch and bitch books, but the best book I've ever found for learning techniques is this one

Check out your LYS (local yarn store), most have drop in groups and will be full of great advice!!

Good luck!
    Life is a hard race

Its an uphill battle
    Like being shackled to a rock, struggling up the mountain

But the elation at the top of every peak
    Is worth all the heart ache and every tear

One Eye on the Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    Do you know that one you found is crocheted not knitted? But there are plenty of knitted ones on there too. I'm R-girl on Ravelry.
    Haha fail. Ok then :P

One Way - The Levellers

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Riot View Post
    Theres a whole load of us on ravelry from here.

I'm probably twisted_trinity on ravely, i tend to only use it for pattern finding.

I love the stitch and bitch books, but the best book I've ever found for learning techniques is this one

Check out your LYS (local yarn store), most have drop in groups and will be full of great advice!!

Good luck!
    Thanks

One Way - The Levellers

I taught myself to knit from the Reader's Digest Encyclopaedia of Knitting, and learnt more from the Stitch and Bitch books, but I think the easiest way nowadays is to learn from videos. There are loads on YouTube, or try knittinghelp.com. It's not always clear from pictures in books what's going on - learning from videos is almost as good as learning from a real person. Plus it's free!

I was going to tell you who I was on Rav, and to join the thesite group, but I see you have already done both!

Thanks!

Indeed, RG invited me to the group and I may have recognised your name

One Way - The Levellers

Knitty Gritty by Aneeta Patel; look her up on Amazon. She's taught loads of my friends to knit and her written instructions are fabby.

Also, knittinghelp.com for free videos.

Promise me you'll always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ― Winnie-the-Pooh