Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ON. Canada
    Posts
    48

    Why is the world so harsh???

    I am sick and tired of this, like...Are you kidding me.

    Today I was in church, because it is Sunday and yes I go to church. Now I am not a strong believer in God, because there is a lot I do not agree with. I do not go to church on my own nor do I go with people, but I decided to go with my Best Friend today. I do not know how but it was the middle of church and everyone (including me) was singing. Then the pasture person looked right at me and stopped the song, he walked over to me and called my the follower of the Devil and asked me to leave. I looked him right in the eye and

    I said "what give's you the right to kick me out, I have just as much right to be here as anyone else"

    He said "I do not allow your kind in my church...Gays"

    So I left peacefully standing up for my right, as everyone in the church chanted "GAY'S ARE NOT PEOPLE, BURN IN HELL DEMON"

    Like really WTF did I do, I do not understand why and how people can be so ignorant. It's not like I choose to be the way I am, why would I? Why would I choose to be bullied, kicked out of church, shunned by society and hated by my family? Why would anyone choose that. But now It's because I prefer Guys over Girls that I deserve to be treated like this, I mean I have cried for hours because it's not like I broadcast the fact that i am gay. I mean like I do not run around in a TOTO and scream to the world that I am gay, because it is none of their business. I mean, I am having a hard enough time being myself, I am trying to be strong and I am trying to be myself, because I do not want to take the same path as my Dead gay best friend, because he got picked on daily from people.

    But now the same thing is happening to me. I was in McDonald the other day and I was chased home by 3 kids who said I did not deserve to live because I was gay. While I was running one of them threw a knife at me and it just missed my shoe by an inch. LIKE WHAT THE F*CK what did I ever do to them, to make me...to make them want to kill me. Like this is ridicules I wake up every morning SCARED for my life, because I may go outside and DIE for no reason...well it is for a reason, someone made a fairy tale a LONG time ago and it stated that Gay's are devils...and then they called it the Bible and DRILLED it into kids heads, and how are we as a society going to get better if Parents just drill it into your head "GAY IS WRONG" End of discussion. I love to help people, but it seems I have no one for me, and I am not kidding when I say if I tell my parents that I am gay they will kick me out because they did that to my sister and now no one talks to her because no one in this family likes gays. I AM HUMAN TOO, so why, please tell me WHY do you treat me like this???
    "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

    - Nelson Mandela

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    585
    You need to change the way you look clearly, if people can tell you're gay just by looking at you, you're doing something wrong (or right). Unless you can handle, what people say and do, then you have to hide it, as bad as society is...
    I get crucified for what i wear sometimes in public, but do i let it get to me? No. And do i take any sort of crap? No.

    Why is the world so harsh? Because humans have no rules. Quicker you learn the fact the world is horrible place, and people will kick you whilst you're down, and people will take advantage of you whenever they can, and people will kick the shit out of you cos you're different, the easier it gets.

    Why do people treat you like this? Because of the way they were brought up most likely, the people around them and it was completely socially acceptable to hate on gay people.

    All i can suggest, is either be who you are, face the world as tough as it is, or dress/act like a everyone else, don't let people know you're gay.

    Also Name and place of this church?
    And p.s if anyone finds this post harsh/homophobic in some way, gtfo because i'm not straight lol.
    sɹnoʎ uɐɥʇ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ʇsnظ sı ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ʎɯ 'ʎzɐɹɔ ʇou ɯ,ı

    Our domain, this kingdom come, now godless lands whose ways are lost.
    Without the strength to carry on. All values lost all virtue none.
    Did you think you would be saved?
    By burning flags to cleanse yourselves of shame?
    Or are you afraid as you stare back at your face?
    Are you ashamed, are you afraid, by destroying what the gods had made?
    Did you think you would be saved?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West country
    Posts
    2,965
    You live in a country where there liberal views towards homosexuality on the whole. What they are doing is illegal. You do have every right to report them to the police.

    Yes, you might be dressing in a possibly suggestive way, is it possible that people could have found out some other way? Is someone broadcasting it?

    I'd look at charities for some support such as community one foundation http://www.communityone.ca

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    8,789
    Stories like this make me so angry, but you're not alone and most churches aren't like that. The Bible doesn't say that gay people have demons; but it sounds like you were at a very evangelical church where that language is common.

    Is there a Metropolitan Community Church near you? They were founded by a gay pentecostal preacher back in the sixties so they're very accepting. There are a few in Canada.

    I'm not sure whether you need to change how you look, but that's up to you. Have you been dressing differently since you started to come out? That could account for why you get grief but it's them who need to change ultimately. I used to get shit just for being a woman with short hair. The fact I was gay was almost incidental, the abuse was based on an immediate impression of how I dressed.

    If you can get hold of a book called Living it Out, which was published over here last year, that might encourage you. It's all about the ways LGB people have found to live their lives within their faith and/or the church.

    Just to say again, most churches don't take that attitude and frankly any church that abuses anyone on any basis is not one I'd want to be a part of so they've probably done you a favour.

    Promise me you'll always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ― Winnie-the-Pooh

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Shikari View Post

    Why is the world so harsh? Because humans have no rules. Quicker you learn the fact the world is horrible place, and people will kick you whilst you're down, and people will take advantage of you whenever they can, and people will kick the shit out of you cos you're different, the easier it gets.

    Why do people treat you like this? Because of the way they were brought up most likely, the people around them and it was completely socially acceptable to hate on gay people.

    All i can suggest, is either be who you are, face the world as tough as it is, or dress/act like a everyone else, don't let people know you're gay.

    Also Name and place of this church?
    And p.s if anyone finds this post harsh/homophobic in some way, gtfo because i'm not straight lol.
    I dont kick people when they are down, nor do I take advantage of others whenever I see an opportunity.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Farnham, Surrey
    Posts
    80
    Very sceptical however if this is true then its disgusting. I live in a pretty rough area where race and sexuality play heavily on whether you will be accepted into the community. I don't like it but i can only make sure that i behave in an accepting way and hope that others will in time do the same.

    Either way, you have met with some issues arising from your sexuality. I hope that things will get easier for you. Sometimes you just have to go through the shit for a while to get to where you are meant to be. Trust me, even straight people with little or nothing different from the accepted "norm" will get picked on and face adversity. I just hope its not on this rediculous scale.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,157
    Have people potentially over looked the fact that people might know you are gay? I could understand someone guessing that Graeme Norton (UK tv) was gay, but generally on the whole I'd say you cant tell unless you were told or informed about it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphandcoffee View Post
    Very sceptical however if this is true then its disgusting. I live in a pretty rough area where race and sexuality play heavily on whether you will be accepted into the community. I don't like it but i can only make sure that i behave in an accepting way and hope that others will in time do the same.
    Even in the UK this happens, but the OP is from North America where that sort of religious fundamentalism is more prevalent than over here.

    Promise me you'll always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ― Winnie-the-Pooh

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ON. Canada
    Posts
    48

    Post

    Because I dated a kid named Brenden (as I said in older threads) people just found out. I am not trying to be full of myself but up until that point I was the MOST popular kid at my school, and I still am...things like this don't happen where I live, people understand you have the RIGHT to be different.

    The place where this happened is in my old town, mostly..basically a Getto. People don't care what happens there. For some reason there its a crime to be different and its punished by public opinion.

    I try not to go there as much, because this is where shit like that happens, but my Mother lives there so I must visit at times, the times I choose to sleep all day and talk at night to people on Facebook. Because I am scared that if I go outside someone will recognize me, call me gay and I am toast.

    I don't dress like the 'gay' image you are all suggesting. I dress mostly like this.

    http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI..._4062-1354.jpg

    http://mediaext.djnetworks.net/media...es/6593126.jpg

    Actually here is a photo of me.

    http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...3321/photo.jpg


    http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...21/photo-1.jpg
    "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

    - Nelson Mandela

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    585
    I can tell people are gay just from the way they move their ass when they walk, so no idea.
    And you like a fairly strong lad, if people start anything just slap em?
    sɹnoʎ uɐɥʇ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ʇsnظ sı ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ʎɯ 'ʎzɐɹɔ ʇou ɯ,ı

    Our domain, this kingdom come, now godless lands whose ways are lost.
    Without the strength to carry on. All values lost all virtue none.
    Did you think you would be saved?
    By burning flags to cleanse yourselves of shame?
    Or are you afraid as you stare back at your face?
    Are you ashamed, are you afraid, by destroying what the gods had made?
    Did you think you would be saved?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Shikari View Post
    I can tell people are gay just from the way they move their ass when they walk, so no idea.
    Forgive me for being cynical

    Promise me you'll always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ― Winnie-the-Pooh

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    20,834
    Quote Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
    Forgive me for being cynical
    Quite.

    I might start walking with a little wiggle now
    ...there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

    'Franki is a wise one. Even if she hides it well sometimes' ~ Scary Monster
    'that's because you're perfect Franki' ~ Broken-Angel
    'I salute you Franki' ~ **helen**
    'I agree with everything that Franki has said' ~ Melian
    'You're a genius' ~ piccolo
    'Franki's right as usual' ~ James

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Waitrose
    Posts
    2,335
    I thought everyone could tell gay people just by looking at them. Two heads, fruity hips, they just look queer. As for lesbians, you can always spot them a mile off, they're the ones in the corner wearing dungarees and listening to Joan Armatrading.

    Am I right or am I, indeed, right?

    Joking aside, what the OP describes does happen in very evangelical churches, it always has had and always will do. However more mainstream churches tend to be far more accepting, even the Catholic church I worship at is generally accepting (although there are official objections with "practising" gay people, most worshippers couldn't give a monkey's).
    Can you hold me like you held someone you shouldn't have let go?
    Can you keep me deep inside like the regrets that burned a hole?
    Can you love me like you loved someone you loved so long ago?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bucks
    Posts
    8,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Roll View Post
    Joking aside, what the OP describes does happen in very evangelical churches, it always has had and always will do. However more mainstream churches tend to be far more accepting, even the Catholic church I worship at is generally accepting (although there are official objections with "practising" gay people, most worshippers couldn't give a monkey's).
    I have ended up with a barrarge of snide remarks to counter standard religious objections but they never get a laugh from the people they're aimed at (frankly I don't think they understand) so I'm going to test them on you people.

    "It's only a problem in the case of practising homosexuals." "That's all right, I'm very good."
    "I don't believe in homosexuality." "Every time you say that a fairy dies."

    I've actually used both of those but they just elicit blank looks.

    Promise me you'll always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ― Winnie-the-Pooh

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
    "It's only a problem in the case of practising homosexuals." "That's all right, I'm very good."
    "I don't believe in homosexuality." "Every time you say that a fairy dies."

    I've actually used both of those but they just elicit blank looks.
    I don't get it?
    sɹnoʎ uɐɥʇ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ʇsnظ sı ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ʎɯ 'ʎzɐɹɔ ʇou ɯ,ı

    Our domain, this kingdom come, now godless lands whose ways are lost.
    Without the strength to carry on. All values lost all virtue none.
    Did you think you would be saved?
    By burning flags to cleanse yourselves of shame?
    Or are you afraid as you stare back at your face?
    Are you ashamed, are you afraid, by destroying what the gods had made?
    Did you think you would be saved?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Show site map

TheSite.org is delivered by YouthNet UK. Registered charity number: 1048995