Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Melian View Post
    I found this when I was in Germany. I got by with English; but sometimes it felt as though the locals would've preferred us (it was a school trip) to speak German.
    Who'd have thunk it, German people preferring for you to speak to them in German? The horror.

If you don't feel that your language skills are good enough, stay within the UK. Jersey is lovely at this time of year.
    Can you hold me like you held someone you shouldn't have let go?
    Can you keep me deep inside like the regrets that burned a hole?
    Can you love me like you loved someone you loved so long ago?

Quote Originally Posted by minimi38 View Post
    People always overhype the physical demands of casual skiing. If you can run the Race For Life you can ski. Stick to the easy slopes (as a complete beginner should!) and you won't cause yourself any permanent harm. Maybe you could give it a try on a dry slope first.
    huh? Where did I ever say I was running Race for Life? If you bothered to read any of my posts, you'd see I'm walking it.

huh? Where did I ever say I was running Race for Life? If you bothered to read any of my posts, you'd see I'm walking it.
    That's a little unfair, your signature still says you're running it.

Arctic Roll has a point, there are loads of places to go that are English-speaking. One of my friends loves visiting Gibraltar (south of Spain, still British).

Promise me you'll always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ― Winnie-the-Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Roll View Post
    Who'd have thunk it, German people preferring for you to speak to them in German? The horror.

If you don't feel that your language skills are good enough, stay within the UK. Jersey is lovely at this time of year.
    To be fair though when i'm away and try and speak the local language 99% of the time the reply will be in english....
    DrPirate is technically my little brother apparently - even though hes like a bazillion foot taller than me (OK 6 inches)

It will be, definitely. I had that in the sud-Tirol; I spoke (fairly crappy) German and they replied in English. Worked well- they learned my language and I learned a bit of theirs.

It's about showing a bit of willing I think.
    Can you hold me like you held someone you shouldn't have let go?
    Can you keep me deep inside like the regrets that burned a hole?
    Can you love me like you loved someone you loved so long ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyetry View Post
    To be fair though when i'm away and try and speak the local language 99% of the time the reply will be in english....
    in france recently i had a whole conversation with Gilles uncle - him speaking to me in english and me replying in french lol. Both of us wanted to practice.

I think even if they know a bit of english, if you go to another country you should at least learn a few basic phrases and take a phrasebook. Noone expects you to be fluent, but its rude to not even show willing

That's quite rude given that it says in your signature that you're running it...

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Roll View Post
    Don't make the mistake of trying to speak Wallonne/French in Brugge...
    I totally did that, after being so used to speaking french in Brussels. Very
    Become a fan of TheSite.org on facebook

"I love standing on a crowded platform in a tube station and feeling like I'm insignificant in all of this. All these people and lives I have no idea about. Gives me a sense of better perspective."

clementine_the_tangerine

I think even if your language skills are crap, at least making the effort can go a long way.