Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lies you told your kids

This might seem really childish to some people, but I can't be the only one that's told a porky to a child? most of the time, my brothers know I'm lying because whatever I'm saying is deliberately outrageous, and we have a good giggle about it. But every now and then, a real corker slips through their radar and I'm feeling a bit too mischievous to tell them.

We (I say we, I don't know who actually came up with it. Wasn't me, but I'm not exactly giving it away either) told my youngest brother that the reason the tooth fairy forgot to leave some money under his pillow for two (TWO!) nights in a row was because the earthquake in Japan shook a lot of people's teeth out and she was busy I'm actually shocked Mum's letting this one continue.

I also managed to convince him that my passionfruit halves (with all the goodness scooped out and eaten) was a geode, and he was rather panicked when Mum threw it away.

A friend of mine was convinced by her older sisters that if you put some ham in the VCR it would play a short film about pigs.
    Never say no to a HUG

hahaha at all of them especially ham. i did giggle a little at the teeth one too.

not parental deception but my cousin's boyfriend told her anchovies were made out of fruit and for years she believed him.
    You can either believe your society should strive to be better than it's problems or as bad as them. - JimV

It's like I'm Marvel and you're DC - Edna Krabappel

a new site that i am blogging on these days... http://www.acapella-bella.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    A friend of mine was convinced by her older sisters that if you put some ham in the VCR it would play a short film about pigs.
    I have physically LOL'd. Thanks

Dunno if they were lies or things i/my friends thought, but from when i was a kid -

The TV broke because all the dead people piled up in the back and the TV man had to come and clean them out

The proverbial eat a seed of something and said seed will grow into the tree of said something.

If you unscrew your belly button, your bum will fall off.

People who died in films etc on TV were actually criminals who were sentenced to death for their crimes, so they put them in a film and killed them so they didn't have to kill actors.
    I've got plenty of baggage and i don't expect anyone to carry it for me. But you can have a good rummage through it if you'd like.

katralla - That's right, I am Kev, and I am a slut.

Munkey, Ruudy & Friends

that if she didnt come now i was going to leave her behind and the monsters would get her

The sort of thing i swore id never say

My parents never did this; but did anyones' parents tell them that the ice cream man plays the tune when s/he's run out of ice cream?

Quote Originally Posted by Melian View Post
    My parents never did this; but did anyones' parents tell them that the ice cream man plays the tune when s/he's run out of ice cream?
    I heard that one! Not as a child, fortunately. It's pure evil genius.
    Never say no to a HUG

Oh god my parents told me hundreds of stories, my dad still does!!

The classic: elephants nest in trees. How do we know this? Well why else do they have long trunks, so they can swing about and hang onto branches

My brothers also told me that tomato seeds were actually spiders eggs. Didnt stop me eating them though!
    Love Is Not Love That Alters When It Alteration Finds

I was once told that a serial killer murders cornflakes...

Daddy loves you.
    I know why the caged bird sings, Only joy comes from song
    She's so rare and beautiful to others, Why not just set her free
    So she can fly, fly, fly
    Spreadin' her wings and her song
    Let her fly, fly fly
    For the whole world to see

Quote Originally Posted by RubberSkin View Post
    If you unscrew your belly button, your bum will fall off.
    I've heard that one too, I never believed it though.

Once when I was little we went to a restaurant with a fountain and there were frogs. I wanted to sit next to it but my mum didn't, and my big brother said the following to me:

If a frog jumps on your shoulder and kisses you, you'll get sick.

I believed it.
    "The exposure of truth sometimes results in tragedy... However! No matter how tragic the truth may be, it would be an even greater tragedy to avert one's eyes from it." ~Miles Edgeworth
    ---
    If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.
    ---
    The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by katralla View Post
    Daddy loves you.
    awwwwww

Na, I tell her that he doesn't, it was just a joke.
    I know why the caged bird sings, Only joy comes from song
    She's so rare and beautiful to others, Why not just set her free
    So she can fly, fly, fly
    Spreadin' her wings and her song
    Let her fly, fly fly
    For the whole world to see

I spoilt a suberb bit of parenting the other day.

If you eat too much pure sugar, e.g. sugar cubes, you'll get worms.

Bless him, he was 18 and still genuinely believed it, even felt the need to tell the rest of us out of concern for our welfare. Took a lot of persuasion it was rubbish.
    Growls

it wont give you worms, but it provides more of an enticing environment for them to stay.
    Kids who eat too much sugar are more likely to keep getting worms, or find them harder to get rid of

No, this was definitely, eat sugar lumps, get worms.

Made the rest of us giggle, a lot, when we eventually persuaded him otherwise.
    Growls