Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread

Can an employer view your work history?

I left out a job on my CV as it was working in the adult entertainment industry a few years ago and extended the date of another job to cover the gap, can an employer view your work history and see where you worked and for how long? The job I applied for seems to do some enhanced checks.

no but they could speak with a previous employer whos date you extended and they could say "they finished 6 months before" etc thus realising you were lying.
    ‎"Anyone can achieve their fullest potential, But who we are might be predetermined, the path we follow is always of our own choosing, we should never allow our fears, or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny. Your destiny cannot be changed but it can be challenged. Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one."

--Timothy McGee
    (NCIS)

i'd be really careful with covering your back if you have to have CRB checks, it depends on how much you think mentioning that job will affect your chances. but if for example they want a full checkable history then you can't have any gaps, and the old employer might not be able to say that you worked there for longer than you really did.
    “I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.”

So will a CRB reveal work history as well as any criminal convictions, which is what I thought it just checked.

Quick search on Google days no

http://www.staffvetting.com/crb-faqs.htm
    ‎"Anyone can achieve their fullest potential, But who we are might be predetermined, the path we follow is always of our own choosing, we should never allow our fears, or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny. Your destiny cannot be changed but it can be challenged. Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one."

--Timothy McGee
    (NCIS)

I see there are lots of agencies out there that can verify work history so maybe I will add my old employer but try to word it carefully.

Don't worry too much about it. The CRB check has nothing to do with your employment history (unless you commited a crime against your employer!). You need to be able to provide them with a 10-year(?) history of home addresses with no unexplained gaps, but they don't (as far as I remember) ask you for previous employment details. Agencies have to have your permission to contact previous employers, so would not do so unless you are asking a particular employer for a reference.

Therefore, if you ask the employer whose employment you extended for a reference, the 'fraud' will quickly come to light.
    "God, give me the Grace to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference."