Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
    blah blah blah Guest

what does off chicken smell like???

i opened a packet of fresh chicken breasts on monday and used half of them. the sell by/best by date is tomorrow so i was planning on using the remaining chicken breasts tonight. they have been wrapped up in foil all week and been in the fridge.

i've just gone to marinade them and they smell a bit um, iffy. not sure if its the liquid that came off them though?

the use by date is tomorrow. do you reckon they will be safe to eat?

it looks alright! i'm just paranoid because of the smell but then, there was a bit of liquid that came off them!

I think they do sometimes smell a bit funny after sitting around in the juices for a while. I think it should be okay, as long as you cook it properly.
    It's the fruit that makes it fruity, it's the juice that makes it juicy, it's the funk that makes it funky, it's the junk that makes the junkie

blah blah blah Guest
    even though i opened the packet on monday?

i think it normally says on the packet "eat within 24 hours of opening" but i normally ignore those messages and have been ok so far!

I would give it a bit of wash under cold water, leave it for 5 minutes and then check it. If it still smells a bit then I wouldn't chance it. Dodgy chicken will make you ill.
    We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
    - Martin Luther King

me

pretty in purple

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissy View Post
    I would give it a bit of wash under cold water, leave it for 5 minutes and then check it. If it still smells a bit then I wouldn't chance it. Dodgy chicken will make you ill.
    This. Maybe the excess water/blood/chicken juices might of gone a little whiffy so that could be what you're smelling.

On a 2nd note. DON'T WRAP THINGS IN FOIL !! It's not air tight and the foil often reacts with the food it's wrapping. Wrap the food in cling film/greaseproof paper then foil.
    I've got plenty of baggage and i don't expect anyone to carry it for me. But you can have a good rummage through it if you'd like.

katralla - That's right, I am Kev, and I am a slut.

Munkey, Ruudy & Friends

blah blah blah Guest
    didn't know that RS!

will use clingfilm, food bags in future

Quote Originally Posted by blah blah blah View Post
    will use clingfilm, food bags in future
    except cheese

best way to wrap cheese is waxed paper but that's bloody hard to find so i wrap it in greaseproof paper and then foil. Not air tight like cling film so it won't get damp then go moldy, but wrapped enough so that it won't dry out.

Try wrapping a piece of cheese tightly in foil and leave it for a coupla weeks or so in the fridge. You'll see that the foil has started to dissolve.
    I've got plenty of baggage and i don't expect anyone to carry it for me. But you can have a good rummage through it if you'd like.

Munkey, Ruudy & Friends

off chicken tends to have a slight smell of bad eggs! the more off, or past its use by date the worse it will get, dont worry so much about sell by date, its just a date the shop have to sell it by, use by date is key, but also isnt always 100% just use your knows and eyes and think to youself without trying to panic yourself, do i really want to eat that with the way it looks and smells, if you say no then bin it, you do have to be a little more careful with chicken but id say unless you smell eggs or gone off eggs when u smell it then it should be fine.

I always thought chicken would keep for a while frozen but once defrosted in the fridge eat within 3/4 days or its not good to eat?
    Put the grit down. Grit right. Get down.

Quote Originally Posted by patience View Post
    I always thought chicken would keep for a while frozen but once defrosted in the fridge eat within 3/4 days or its not good to eat?
    It depends when you freeze it and for how long.

Say you freeze some chicken that's got 2 days to go until it passes it's sell by date. If you freeze it for say 2 months then you should really eat it by the next day (after it's defrosted).

Freezing doesn't stop the deterioration of food, just slows it down a lot. Many variables to consider, but i'd rather play safe than get salmonella, again

Munkey, Ruudy & Friends

I think properly off chicken is normally obvious enough. It very stinky.
    Another quality post brought to you by Mr Mist, god of Moo.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberSkin View Post
    except cheese

best way to wrap cheese is waxed paper but that's bloody hard to find so i wrap it in greaseproof paper and then foil. Not air tight like cling film so it won't get damp then go moldy, but wrapped enough so that it won't dry out.

Try wrapping a piece of cheese tightly in foil and leave it for a coupla weeks or so in the fridge. You'll see that the foil has started to dissolve.
    Off topic, but a really good tip for keeping cheese ...

When serving cheese, try never to let your fingers touch the part that will be kept. Hold it by the original wrapper or a piece of fresh clingfilm while you cut. You will notice that good delicatessen staff will always use a thin piece of polythene to handle cheese rather than touch it with their fingers. It isn't just a hygiene thing. Hard cheese (such as cheddar) that has been touched with fingers will go mouldy. If you take care not to touch it, it will keep almost indefinitely, whatever it is wrapped in! Try it. It works.
    "God, give me the Grace to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by overthehill View Post
    Off topic, but a really good tip for keeping cheese ...

When serving cheese, try never to let your fingers touch the part that will be kept. Hold it by the original wrapper or a piece of fresh clingfilm while you cut. You will notice that good delicatessen staff will always use a thin piece of polythene to handle cheese rather than touch it with their fingers. It isn't just a hygiene thing. Hard cheese (such as cheddar) that has been touched with fingers will go mouldy. If you take care not to touch it, it will keep almost indefinitely, whatever it is wrapped in! Try it. It works.
    Thanks for that tip x
    Live life each day, life is short!