Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

People just don't seem to care about each other anymore.

Picture the scene, im driving down a dual carriage way, quite wide lanes and plenty of space, reasonably fast moving.

Some dickhead driving at terribly excessive speed and lane hopping at short notice, not indicating, and causing near accidents. This driver then clips a young ladies ford Ka and she skids a little to the left towards the hard shoulder, but the over compensation leads to the car doing a 180 (clockwise), and in the process the front end clips the central reservation. Car spins a little further and ends up facing the wrong direction, half on and half off the hard shoulder.

Now I see this commotion from a reasonable distance away. It was quite busy but luckily no other vehicles were involved.

What amazes me in a bad way, is that in the 300/400yds or so that im away from this, traffic has now slowed to a standstill and everyone is making their effort to go around this, causing a bit of a tail back. Not one single person stops, even when there is a lone woman wandering about a bit dazed and confused on the hard shoulder.

I pull up a while before, and put on the hazards, luckily an army landrover pulls up too, and between the three of us lads, we get the traffic pulling into one lane a while before the accident, call the emergency services, and see that the person is all right.

If someone else had stopped I probly would have carried on, and I dont blame anyone else for doing so, after it became obvious this person was being assisted. However before that point, I'm ashamed to be a human being.

Im not saying people should put themselves in unecessary danger or anything like that, but I reckon there was a good 50/60 cars, so presumably at least 50/60 and possibly upwards of 100 people went past and did nothing.

Moral of the story, even if it isnt a car crash, if you can help someone out, dont do it because its the right thing to do, do it simply because you can.

Last edited by G-Raffe; 10-10-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Altered picture size

I'd be gutted if the only people who had pulled over to help me were people trained and paid to kill, gutted.
    I know why the caged bird sings, Only joy comes from song
    She's so rare and beautiful to others, Why not just set her free
    So she can fly, fly, fly
    Spreadin' her wings and her song
    Let her fly, fly fly
    For the whole world to see

Quote Originally Posted by katralla View Post
    I'd be gutted if the only people who had pulled over to help me were people trained and paid to kill, gutted.
    Funnily enough, someone mentioned that at the scene.

scary.

i hate cars. people always make fun of me when i pause to cross a road that appears safe to cross. people are idiots.
    You can either believe your society should strive to be better than it's problems or as bad as them. - JimV

It's like I'm Marvel and you're DC - Edna Krabappel

a new site that i am blogging on these days... http://www.acapella-bella.net/

G you're so preachy sometimes!

but yeah it is a bit horrible that nobody stopped :| to be honest iv never really seen a situation like that where somebody in need doesnt get any help at all. but i'd be really sad if i did.
    they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality,but based on... if something is new, they reject it immediately because itís frightening to them. what they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

I hate the outward selfishness of others. Once on my way home from work, I saw a very old and fragile looking man with one of those triangular walker thingies on the other side of the road. He was blocked by a road sign (builders a hundred metres ahead had put it up for roadworks), which was covering most of the pavement. He hadn't the strength to move it, and it being rush hour on one of the main roads leading into the city, there was no way he could cross the road, or dodge round off the curb. God knows how long he'd been there and how many people had passed him without helping - when I was approaching and before I understood the problem, I even saw someone just side-step onto the road and past him without even blinking.

I took a WHOLE minute out of my day to move it for him. He told me that he'd asked the builders (conspicuously absent at ten past five) who put it there to move it to one side the day before but they'd ignored him, and he had to go that way to get to the shops. He looked a bit hysterical. This was maybe a year ago now, but I still remember that poor guy, because he is what we could all become when we're down on our luck if we don't pull together and help each other sometimes.
    Never say no to a HUG

I remember being about 9yrs old and walking, with a friend, to the sweet shop that sold sweets by the penny. On the way there, we saw an old lady fall down in the street and cut her head open. It was a slow windy road, the cars going past must have seen, but no one stopped. There were a few adults on the footpath and they just continued on their merry pedestrian way.

We were shocked! We stopped and tried to talk to the lady to find out her name and where she lived. She lived ages away so we kept asking questions until we got info of a friend who lived nearby, all the while, people young and old were walking past ignoring the whole scene. My friend and I helped walk the old lady to her closest friend's house with an under each arm, bearing her weight.

To this day, I can't believe it. The sweet shop is still there, I'm in the same town, I go past it on the school run everyday and often think of the incident. People can be so self-absorbed, and so self-centred some times.

Hell, my comment about the military was actually a dig but, it's true, not only are they trained to kill but they are also instilled with a feeling of duty and of helping. It doesn't seem like many others are. And, that saddens me.
    So she can fly, fly, fly
    Let her fly, fly fly

When i crashed my car last year it stopped in the right lane facing the right way on a quiet country road but had obviously been smashed, and the first couple of people who went past right after i did it, just drove straight past!!! Couldnt actually believe what i was seeing!!
    Love Is Not Love That Alters When It Alteration Finds

They didn't stop? It is surprising isn't it? I continue to believe that people will do the right thing, against all evidence, I continue to believe that they will...
    So she can fly, fly, fly
    Let her fly, fly fly

Reminds me about 2 weeks ago when I was in London. We were walking past some supermarket and this woman with a guide dog seemed to be having some trouble. With my friends, we walked past, but I was looking to see if she needed a hand or not.

Well she seemed to have trouble putting the lead on the dog [not sure why it was off in the first place], so continued to walk, got maybe 20 steps away from her. I stopped, and turned so I was facing the direction she was in rather than looking over my shoulder to see if she was still stuggling or if someone else had offered a hand.

No one did and she still looked like she was having trouble. So I told my friends to wait while I went to give her a hand. I was shocked no one was even LOOKING let alone deciding to help her. Just before I got near her to offer a hand she got it and went on her way.

Same kinda story with 2 women coming off the tube with prams and two young kids in them. Everyone was just walking up the stairs, only caring about getting out just as quickly as they could, seeing at least one woman was struggling to carry the pram (the other just lifted the thing up, she was more muscular than me xD) but still no one offered to help. So I asked them both if they wanted a hand, the other who couldn't carry it was pleased I asked - and another guy after seeing I asked offered a hand to the other woman but she was fine by herself.

And one time when I was coming home from work at the BHF, an elderly woman who was in her 70s at least, was waiting for a bus with a heavy trolley. She nicely asked if I would carry it on the bus for her [thinking she was getting on the same bus as me], I said sure. Once she and I realised it was a different bus to mine, she went over to the bus thinking someone else would help her who was on the same bus [as did I, so I never went over to help immediately]. My bus was arriving, but I still went over when I saw no one was helping her carry it on. Yeah I missed my bus, but at least she didn't do herself some damage. It's nice to hear someone say thank you and mean it.

Just annoys me. We're in the world together, society makes it seem like you can't trust any body.
    Last edited by JavaKrypt; 11-10-2010 at 12:31 AM.
    JavaKrypt (Blog, YouTube, Tumblr, Twitter

"If you think education is expensive. You should see the cost of ignorance."

Quote Originally Posted by katralla View Post
    They didn't stop? It is surprising isn't it? I continue to believe that people will do the right thing, against all evidence, I continue to believe that they will...
    Somebody did eventually and even after i had a guy waiting with me, people still stopped to ask if they could help.

If i was in my car and saw someone crash i'd stop straight away to help them
    Love Is Not Love That Alters When It Alteration Finds

Keep a hold of that desire to be nice to people when they need it, to recogise peoples' distress and take the time to check, that is what seperates us from the pack.
    So she can fly, fly, fly
    Let her fly, fly fly

With technology and a cellphone most poeple probaly assume that you can call for help yourslef, or that you have a device on your car which will call an emergency number for you if in an accident. That and the group dynamics thing, assuming somebody else already called for help giving y0ou less responsilbity.
    Of all the mistakes you've made, the best are yet to come.

You've got to search for the hero inside yourself. Search for the secrets you hide. Search for the hero inside yourself, until you find the key to your life.
    I was sitting down with a few doing what we do
    connected and focused we were practicing tongue-foo.

Quote Originally Posted by CptCoatHanger View Post
    You've got to search for the hero inside yourself. Search for the secrets you hide. Search for the hero inside yourself, until you find the key to your life.
    Or buy an M people cd