Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

self service ticket machines (train stations)

I travelled back to Canterbury last night at around 9 and went to buy my ticket at the self service machine because the station was closed. I tried pressing on young person's railcard and it 'wasnt available'. This has happened a few times! I didnt want to pay full whack so just got on the train. No conductors at that hour so got a free ride :D

what i wanted to ask is, am i being really thick and is a young person's card really not valid for that time? i wasnt aware of any restrictions like that.

or my theory, is it just a scam to get me to pay full whack?

i've always wondered this.
    You can either believe your society should strive to be better than it's problems or as bad as them. - JimV

It's like I'm Marvel and you're DC - Edna Krabappel

a new site that i am blogging on these days... http://www.acapella-bella.net/

I dunno, I have a railcard as well and I just assumed it was available to be used all day every day.

I rarely use the self service machines though if I can help it, they always fuck up, and end up giving you the wrong destination or price or whatever.

Could also just be a scam though I wouldnt put it past them
    Love Is Not Love That Alters When It Alteration Finds

I haven't been on a train for a while but I remember being advised to pay five p or whatever at the ticket machine if I couldn't get the right ticket so that, if challenged over not having a ticket, there would be evidence that I'd tried.

ah i know the thing you mean but they didnt have one of those permit to travel machines. i dont understand why '16-25 railcard' would be unavailable. it's an option that's all. and it is available cuz it's in my wallet. ahhhhh
    You can either believe your society should strive to be better than it's problems or as bad as them. - JimV

All I can say to that is banana buggery!

Well.. I've got on like the last train of the day, and have been able to get childrens tickets from self service things. So, I guess it should let you get 16-25s?
    Xx
    The headlights from passing cars
    They illuminate my face then leave me the dark
    The voice of Nirvana says, "Come as you are"
    And I will

Quote Originally Posted by katralla View Post
    All I can say to that is banana buggery!
    You're very keen on banana buggery at the moment aren't you?
    Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

me too!

We don't share bananas though, not without taking the skin off first anyway.

Sometimes the ticket machines tell lies.

I have been to the ticket machines at Canterbury West before and they have tried to tell me (twice!) that there were only first class tickets available. The man at the window didn't believe me when I told him though .
    ...there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

'Franki is a wise one. Even if she hides it well sometimes' ~ Scary Monster
    'that's because you're perfect Franki' ~ Broken-Angel
    'I salute you Franki' ~ **helen**
    'I agree with everything that Franki has said' ~ Melian
    'You're a genius' ~ piccolo
    'Franki's right as usual' ~ James

If there's a problem with any ticket machines or PERMIS machines, give National Rail Enquiries a call and they will report it to the TOC 08457 48 49 50.

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/what-do-you-get/features

Using your Railcard

With your Railcard, you’ll save money on both long and short trips. Better still, you can use it anytime on weekends, Public Holidays and during the week. However, if you travel at or before 10 am Monday to Friday you’ll have to pay a minimum fare (except during July and August).
    Farting in a lift, it's wrong on so many levels.

thanks, it might sound paranoid but i really do think that they are sometimes set to do that. it only seems to be when it's late and there is no one at the ticket booth

Quote Originally Posted by clementine_the_tangerine View Post
    thanks, it might sound paranoid but i really do think that they are sometimes set to do that. it only seems to be when it's late and there is no one at the ticket booth
    At the end of they day, they're computers and we all know, computers break lol.

Might be an idea -as someone has suggested, to get a Permit to Travel (where the machine is available).

You don't mention if it was Canterbury East or West, but these both attract penalty fares, so be careful.

oh, i bought the ticket from rainham in kent going to canterbury east. there wasnt a permit to travel machine there.

probably been moved or out of order lol