Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

Subscribe to newsletter

+ Reply to Thread

Switch box problems

Have to bear with me on this as i'm not very tech minded so probably won't explain things that well

We have a personal computer and a work computer which are connected up to a KVM switch box and a wireless broadband box so that they can share an internet connection, keyboard etc. Both were windows XP.

We had a new computer installed as the works one last week and have had no end of problems with it. For some reason the switch box does not like the whole process. Every 5 seconds it was switching between the two computers. So i switched off the personal one but all that meant was that the computer froze everytime it tried to switch. Also this effected the printer too as that was networked in as well and the keyboard.

Have now disconnected everything and am just running the new computer but am going to need to hook up the personal one at some point.

What i'm assuming is that the personal computer is windows XP and the new one is Windows 7. Would this effect the switch box? Or the ability for the whole lot to talk to each other efficiently? Anyone know any ways i can get round this problem easily?

Sorry to be thick but i'm a bit vacant useless with this whole switch box/network thing as never had one before. The IT bloke who installed it is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard so saving the money and trying to do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    Have to bear with me on this as i'm not very tech minded so probably won't explain things that well

We have a personal computer and a work computer which are connected up to a KVM switch box and a wireless broadband box so that they can share an internet connection, keyboard etc. Both were windows XP.

We had a new computer installed as the works one last week and have had no end of problems with it. For some reason the switch box does not like the whole process. Every 5 seconds it was switching between the two computers. So i switched off the personal one but all that meant was that the computer froze everytime it tried to switch. Also this effected the printer too as that was networked in as well and the keyboard.

Have now disconnected everything and am just running the new computer but am going to need to hook up the personal one at some point.

What i'm assuming is that the personal computer is windows XP and the new one is Windows 7. Would this effect the switch box? Or the ability for the whole lot to talk to each other efficiently? Anyone know any ways i can get round this problem easily?

Sorry to be thick but i'm a bit vacant useless with this whole switch box/network thing as never had one before. The IT bloke who installed it is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard so saving the money and trying to do it myself.

Have you installed the KVM drivers for window 7 on the windows 7machine?

to change over normally do you press the button on the kvm switch or on the keyboards? (a keyboard combo) to me it sounds like a Win7 compatability problem.
    ‎"Anyone can achieve their fullest potential, But who we are might be predetermined, the path we follow is always of our own choosing, we should never allow our fears, or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny. Your destiny cannot be changed but it can be challenged. Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one."

--Timothy McGee
    (NCIS)