Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

Subscribe to newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How do you get a council property...

Just wondering how someone gets a council property...is the most effective/quick way to become a single mum?
    36lbs lost.

Sign up with your council. Most use a points system i think. You get points for overcrowding, illness/disability, issues at home (such as abuse), having children.

Of course, if anyone brings a life into this world just to get a council house they're a complete cunt, the baby should be adopted and they should be steralised
    I've got plenty of baggage and i don't expect anyone to carry it for me. But you can have a good rummage through it if you'd like.

katralla - That's right, I am Kev, and I am a slut.

Munkey, Ruudy & Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Curvy_lass View Post
    ...is the most effective/quick way to become a single mum?
    The easiest, most effective way is to get pregnant by some criminal, tag-wearing scummer of a boyfriend. Make sure he's got previous for violence which puts you and the baby at risk of domestic assault and they'll move you before you can say "i know my rights".
    All the while being confident that the free money will keep coming because saps like me keep working and paying taxes.

If I hadn't seen it happen so many times I'd be alarmed at my own cynicism.
    Whowhere, neither here nor there.

Just wondering how someone gets a council property...is the most effective/quick way to become a single mum?
    Only if you already have a kid, otherwise there'd be a waiting period involved.
    Another quality post brought to you by Mr Mist, god of Moo.

youd have to be a single mum AND homeless.
    Mind you, it depends on your area. Some places its fairly easy to get a council property if you apply, but other areas there isnt that many to go around so youd be unlikely to get a property very quickly at all

Anyone can sign up for the waiting list for a council or housing association property, but they are allocated on a priority basis. You get points depending on your situation: whether you're homeless, living in unsuitable or overcrowded accommodation, disabled, have children, fleeing domestic violence, and so on.

Someone who's fleeing domestic violence or homeless with children will be top of the pile. Someone who's got a perfectly good home and no children will be bottom of the pile.

If you already have a home that is practicable for you to live in then having a child won't bump you to the top of the waiting list.
    Last edited by Kermit; 06-08-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Just can't bear to move back in with parents when I finish uni next year and it's highly unlikely I can afford to privately rent. It SUCKS!
    36lbs lost.

Just can't bear to move back in with parents when I finish uni next year and it's highly unlikely I can afford to privately rent. It SUCKS!
    Yeah but that's life, it doesn't mean that you should get a free house. If you can't afford a full house maybe you could rent a room in a house share.

You might have to curvy_lass, at least until you get a job and have saved enough for a deposit. Your best/cheapest option would be to move into a houseshare, it is quite expensive to rent somewhere of your own.
    ===============

it's highly unlikely I can afford to privately rent.
    Yes you can. Get a job. Do what i did. Couldn't get a job i wanted so did the crap jobs. Cleaning, washer upper, road sweeping. There's jobs out there if you want work.
    I've got plenty of baggage and i don't expect anyone to carry it for me. But you can have a good rummage through it if you'd like.

katralla - That's right, I am Kev, and I am a slut.

Munkey, Ruudy & Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Mist View Post
    Yeah but that's life, it doesn't mean that you should get a free house. If you can't afford a full house maybe you could rent a room in a house share.
    since when are council houses free houses? You rent them and you pay rent. Theyre just more affordable than privately rented.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyCreamcheese View Post
    since when are council houses free houses? You rent them and you pay rent. Theyre just more affordable than privately rented.
    Pah whatever you know what I mean.

blah blah blah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Someone who's fleeing domestic violence or homeless with children will be top of the pile. Someone who's got a perfectly good home and no children will be bottom of the pile.

and even if you are at the top of the pile, you could be waiting for a very long time.

when i was 16, my dad got custody of me and my 2 brothers due to the domestic violence, etc that we had to put up with whilst living with my mother. we were classed as homeless as my dad had to give up his job to look after us and therefore, we had nowhere to live. and soooo we lived in a homeless family hostel for over a year so we got points for being homeless. the flat we were given (one bedroom between 4 of us - they only provided us with TWO beds may i add and im not talking nice beds with a mattress. they were army style fold up beds) meant it was very overcrowded. my brother had to sleep in a corridoor for over a year ffs sooooo we were given more points for it being overcrowded. my dad developed sciatica in his back due to the condition we were living in and couldn't walk. he was on crutches and it was a struggle for him to even stand up. my brother became severely depressed too because of the conditions we were living in. and soooo, we got more points for health reasons.

and yet, despite all this, it took well over a year to get a home.

worst year of my life.

if you have a perfectly good home to go to curvy_lass, just go. most people go home after uni. i didn't but i got a job straight away and went into a house share as that was affordable. house shares are just as cheap as uni houseshares. its because of people that just have kids to get a council house and people who just want one because its cheap (when they can afford normal rent!) that families like my own have to stay in those gawd damn awful places due to the lack of council houses being available.

yes, i will probably get flamed for saying that but im bitter. like i say, worst year of my life.

and yes suzy is right, you do have to pay for council houses if you are in full time work. my dad pays quite a bit! infact curvy lass, it would probably be cheaper for you to just go into a house share!
    Last edited by blah blah blah; 06-08-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mist View Post
    Pah whatever you know what I mean.
    well I think you mean housing benefit, which would give someone a "free house" whether it was council or privately rented, they would just cover whatever the rent was

If you're on a low wage you might be entitled to receive some housing benefit. However, as a single person under the age of 25 without a child, you'll only get enough housing benefit to help you pay for a room in a shared house.

So if you don't want to live with parents have a look on Gumtree or such like and see about a house-share.