Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are shops open on New Years Day?

Are clothes shops open on New Years Day? Just checked the M&S website and its closed on NYD, does anyone know if this will be the case for most other shops? x
    ~* Vans Sporting, Corduroy Flared Indie Girl*~

Monserrat Guest
    Bank holidays tend to go by Sunday trading hours, so expect 10AM to 4PM for the major supermarkets. Business parks should be open but I doubt that the high street will be.

I know Sainsburys are open on new years, i am working then!! 10-6 I think...

I would suspect the main shops won't simply because of the staff costs. Depends where you live, a large shopping centre near me decided it would be open on boxing day and all the shops had to comply. I would check your local shopping centre's websites.

remember wandering around leeds on NYD a couple of years ago and pretty much everything was shut.
    You got to keep in the game
    Retaining mystique while facing forward
    I suggest a reading of a Lesson in Tightropes
    Or surfing Your High Hopes or adios Kansas

Harveys, MFI and all that are open too.

A lot of shops in Sheffield are open. I remember buying our cooker in John Lewis on NYD a few years ago! Normally we go into town for a little nosy. Perhaps not this year.

Our tesco is closed.

If you are making a special effort to go somewhere then I would probably phone in advance to see if they are open.
    We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
    - Martin Luther King

me

pretty in purple

I used to work for an academic branch of Waterstone's (non-high st) and we always opened, but it was dead - even more dead than Boxing Day.

Promise me you'll always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ― Winnie-the-Pooh

Where i liue not alot stuf open asda aint i dnt even go out nyd saying that im working tommrow night 9pm to 6am
    I love guys+gals +im brill friend to have

I get really annoyed with people who insist on going shopping on Boxing day and New Years day. Can't people just stay away for 3 days a year and give people who work in the places time to relax?
    Whowhere, neither here nor there.

stargalaxy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whowhere View Post
    I get really annoyed with people who insist on going shopping on Boxing day and New Years day. Can't people just stay away for 3 days a year and give people who work in the places time to relax?
    My thoughts exactly. I remember reading in The Times last Saturday about some fruitcake who had travelled all the way from Bristol to London on Christmas night. He arrived in Oxford Street around 2am on Boxing Day. He waited for seven hours for the Selfridges Gucci store to open. And why did he have to be there at 9am Boxing Day sharp? Because he wanted to buy a fucking handbag for £300. What a fucking loser he must be.

Shop staff have to put up with enough shit as it is - I'm just glad I don't work in one anymore. I feel sorry for shop assistants every time they have to deal with customers who are discourteous, illiterate, uneducated, malodorous runts. (yes, that is a misprint) So what do the donkeys who run these stores do? Yes, they make their long-suffering staff work even more bloody days of the year! And these people want to abolish Sunday trading restrictions? Just how much more time do these brain-deficient tossers need to do their fucking shopping?!

Okay, so the house smells of farts on Boxing Day cos everyone's eaten far too many Brussels sprouts. Instead of pestering shop assistants with yet more stupid demands, why can't these people just for a fucking walk instead?

stargalaxy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rachie004 View Post
    Could I get some sympathy for everytime *I* have to deal with customers who are 'discourteous, illiterate, uneducated, malodorous runts' because I have to be trapped in a metal tube with them for hours...
    Nice to see my words getting to you, Rachie.
    Not everyones lives revolves around 9-5 working hours, weekends and bank holidays off. I've turned up to shops so many times only to find that they're shut because I forgot/didn't realise that its a bank holiday.
    Erm... don't know where this is coming from, but my life certainly doesn't revolve around working 9-5. I really can't see the appeal of working those hours myself.

As an ex-shop worker (and next clearance at that!*) i never used to mind sale times at all. Kind of breaks the monotony in a way. Sure you have to put up with morons trying to bag a bargain but you do anyway, there's just more of them at sale time and at least when your shop is rammed there's never any time to get bored as you're kept busy!

* Anyone who's ever worked in a next clearance store will know how manic things can get anyway let alone when there's a sale on!

Quote Originally Posted by rachie004 View Post

oo and hospital staff, and the police and the fire brigade,

Whilst we might have harder, more stressful jobs, I like to think I have infinitely better, union negotiated conditions than a shop assistant.

We get paid a hell of a lot more, we don't HAVE to take shit from members of public and we don't get kept back after work or called in on a day off unless it really is an emergency.

I don't begrudge shop workers 3 days a year when they don't have to goto work because the law prohibits it.
    As customers we don't NEED to go shopping on boxing day or new years day.
    Whowhere, neither here nor there.

To be perfectly honest, new years day is the best day to go shopping over Christmas and NY because it is the quietest day. I went shopping to Meadowhall today and I have never seen it so busy. I know that on NYD town will be practically dead.
    We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
    - Martin Luther King

me

pretty in purple

New Year's day is a wasted day anyway. Once you've finished with the actual night, the day serves no particular purpose other than to sleep off alcohol. So once you've slept it off I don't see why you shouldn't go and shop, if that's what you desire to do.

Anyway you have to think of the financial crisis. The shops need all the custom they can get at the moment.
    Another quality post brought to you by Mr Mist, god of Moo.