Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread

Best way to meet someone?

I'm bored of being single. I know the logic of 'don't go looking, wait and she'll come along' but frankly I don't see how she can come along if i'm not giving her the opportunity.
    Oh, and i'm quite lonely these days - massive life upheaval, had to leave all of my friends behind and start completely afresh.
    What's the best way to meet a) friends, b) potential girlfriends?

Join clubs - sports or otherwise.

If you're at uni, try & make friends with your housemates, or if you're working, try to organize a gang of you to go out for a drink.

If all else fails, get a dog & go for lots of walks. My mum always says, "You always meet people on dog walks." In my personal experience, you do see people but never actually talk to them, so I think this is pointless but hey. Works for her.

Or sod it all, go sit in a bar, get wankered & end up talking to random strangers. Thats always fun :D
    We could all take a lesson from crayons. Some are bright, some are beautiful, some are dull, some are short, some are tall, and some have weird names. But somehow, they all learn to live in the same box.

i am having the same problem. i am so stuck with how to make new friends. i have become close to 2 girls at my work which is great but its more of a work friendship.
    i've been out with one of them a couple of times and we had a laugh but its not a 'proper' friendship.
    and i really want to meet blokes, you know, go out and flirt and feel good about yourself. but i dunno, im shy so its hard to just chat to people and they seem to ignore me if im on a night out, i guess im just not their type.

its hard

eyes lock, big grin, heart race, breathe in,
    hands touch, arms hold, lips kiss, loves told
    laughter sings, holding tight, passion soars, first night
    anonymous calls, empty bed, emotions lost, affection dead
    jealousy rears, suspicion grows, broken trust, strain shows
    tears fall, body shakes, shoulders drop, heart breaks

Chelle, Callum & Emily...a family since 21/11/08

I don't so much have a general problem with meeting and chatting to people - it's just I find it so hard if i'm on a night out. I also find it incredibly difficult to meet girls, flirt - but either i'm not their type or there's something seriously wrong with me. I have no problem with just saying to people 'hey, how's it going' but it tends to produce results in the most useless places - i.e. when i'm on a train and bored and want to chat to a complete stranger, rather than where I might want to hit on someone...

stargalaxy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pringle View Post
    If all else fails, get a dog & go for lots of walks. My mum always says, "You always meet people on dog walks." In my personal experience, you do see people but never actually talk to them, so I think this is pointless but hey.
    Well, it gets you out of the house, it gives you some fresh air... walking the dog is never a waste of time. I've met quite a few women whilst walking the mutts, although they seem to be more interested in Max, our 4-year old German Shepherd, than in me. Doesn't that tell you something?

Dunno - ask your dog...
    'I vos a German Shepherd but now i'm a psychiatrist... don't lie on der couch, ve're not allowed on der couch...'

stargalaxy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Delia_rocks View Post
    Dunno - ask your dog...
    'I vos a German Shepherd but now i'm a psychiatrist... don't lie on der couch, ve're not allowed on der couch...'
    Ours is allowed up. And he complains to high buggery when I tell him to get off the couch too.

try to get involved in something, like a sports club. things take their course from there.