Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

Subscribe to newsletter

Closed Thread

Tight Clitoris Hood

Guys get a tight foreskin, and they get the snip if they can't retract it. My clitoris hood used to be way too tight to ever dream of pulling it back to expose my clit. Mine's ok now, it ripped open when I gave birth so now I have a workable retractable clitoris hood (sounds bad, but I think it's great ). I can't be the only girl in the world to have had this problem.

I have asked a fair few women over the years (mostly in vagina meetings) and no-one else seems to have had this, or aren't willing to talk about it. Seeing as it's quite common in men, there is advice out there, and doctors will refer for surgery if it's bad, it seems odd that there's no talking about the female equivalent of a tight foreskin. Er, discuss...

You RIPPED in birth?!

... to quote Tom Jones, Dobbin... It's not unusual ...........

But yes, women would get this problem - although it's not as commonplace to know about it because nobody knows where it is!

ok, only kidding ... I'll get my coat
    Oh will you stop.. wibbeling on.. like some kind of girl who's trying to have a period!

maybe its one reason why some women dont orgasm?

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyCreamcheese View Post
    maybe its one reason why some women dont orgasm?
    Certainly according to a study from Boston University School of Medicine. The brief write up of the study suggested that roughly one quarter of the women treated for sexual dysfunction (their terminology) had clitorial phimosis, which is to say the hood is too tight or there is no opening for the clitoris at all.

They report the women with the highest degrees of phimosis were the most likely to report problems experiencing orgasm.

Sadly it costs $42 dollars to read the full report, but you get the gist.

Everything else I've read suggests it's a poorly recognised condition and is seen as uncommon (though if it's poorly recognised that could explain so few cases)
    Cellar Door

You thought it was gold, but it was bronze

'I ain't gonna study war... no more'

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbin View Post
    You RIPPED in birth?!
    youd probably tear a bit squeezing a melon out of lemon sized hole I believe tears** are quite common during birth. I remember visiting my cousin after her first child - she waddled really slowly everywhere cos of her stitches *crosses legs*

katralla - Im not even sure I have a hood over my clit ?! *goes to check*

e2a thats tears as in tearing paper, although crying tears are often involved too
    Last edited by diddlybop; 11-09-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim V View Post
    Certainly according to a study from Boston University School of Medicine. The brief write up of the study suggested that roughly one quarter of the women treated for sexual dysfunction (their terminology) had clitorial phimosis, which is to say the hood is too tight or there is no opening for the clitoris at all.

They report the women with the highest degrees of phimosis were the most likely to report problems experiencing orgasm.
    Oh My God- it was it's own little word- cool! Shame two or three midwives and a health visitor didn't know what it was when I asked them...

And yes Dobbin, I dun dun dun, ripped in childbirth- not the rear of the vagina into the perinium as is common and I was told about in pregnancy, but where the labia minora meet at the front. Mine was tight down to the pee hole, urethral opening, or whatever it's called. You wouldn't be so shocked if I could show you where I mean, and noone's ever noticed (and plenty of people have looked )

ETA: how embarrassing, telling all of you lot about my fangeeta
    Last edited by katralla; 11-09-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Phimosis is also the term for the foreskin problem if I remember correctly...

Fangeeta, on the other hand, is a new word for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of Kent View Post
    Fangeeta, on the other hand, is a new word for me...

OK fangeeta, I'll stop calling you cunt!
    couldn't resist
    Oh will you stop.. wibbeling on.. like some kind of girl who's trying to have a period!

I had never heard of this problem before. It makes sense it would explain off many sexual dysfunctions in women though.
    Last edited by bluewisdom; 12-09-2007 at 04:37 AM.
    "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge."
    "If you look deep enough you will see music; the heart of nature being everywhere music."

-Thomas Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of Kent View Post
    Phimosis is also the term for the foreskin problem if I remember correctly...
    Yup Phimosis is essentially the term for a tight foreskin for men and women (if you consider the hood of the clitoris to be a foreskin covering a sexual organ).

It's Interesting that given the similar function of the hood of the clitoris and the foreskin, that it wouldn't be more obvious that the same problem could occur for both men and women. Probably be interesting to consider why it isn't so well know - perhaps it is less common, or is less obvious for women than men. I'm thinking it's likely that there's the traditional medical disinterest in a female problem at play as well.
    Last edited by Jim V; 12-09-2007 at 08:34 AM.
    Cellar Door

You thought it was gold, but it was bronze

'I ain't gonna study war... no more'

I learned at age 62 that I had phimosis. No doctor had ever told me. I always wondered why it was so difficult for me to orgasm. Now I know and I see that there is almost nothing at all known about it.

I'm going to close this thread now as it was started in 2007
    "The greater the problems you've survived, the richer your hidden history of achievement is likely to be."