Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ShyBoy is offline Born on Earth, raised on TheSite.org

Friend won't pay money back

Hey

I've got a friend who owes me money, she won't pay back saying she doesn't have enough. When I ask (via text) when she'll be able to pay, she comes back with something bitter 'when I have enough money for my rent, the blacksmith (horse owner), some other stuff and everything else I can't afford but need'. So when I say, when's that, she doesn't reply.

Then I text again, saying "Any update when you'll be able to pay me back =)"
    "no"

Texted again today, asking if she wanted to work out a payment plan. The sum itself is write-off-able; £24.50. But it's the fact that these are all small amounts that she was supposed to pay back on the day, and only recently when a friend reminded me they owed some too (it was kind of a not got cash on me defer til next time I see you) that I asked the stingy friend when she intended to pay back (politely ).

Apparently afterwards the 'stingy one' told my honorable friend off for reminding me. So the implication is she did not forget, but merely hoped I would forget about it. She's complained of not having enough cash, but very recently told us all (we were discussing savings accounts lol) she had £2000 in an ISA. Whilst I appreciate if she has penalties for taking this out, surely she can get a small loan off her parents / bank overdraft extension and cover it with this?

Regardless of the details, the main issue is her unwillingness to show the proper respect you show to your friends by honoring agreements, or even the willingness to talk to compromise.

*grumpy*

What can I do??
    Last edited by ShyBoy; 02-08-2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: to make the amount more apparent
    Be happy, accept those you care for, and live your life in a manner true to yourself, those you care for, and the values you hold dear to your heart.
    -- Click To See More

How much does she owe you?
    Conformity before conscience Uniformity before faith!

To infinity and beyond!

"the reason i took drugs in the first place was because ...i was confused.
    it's all become clear since" -Rolly.

Just as it is true that a stream cannot rise above its source, so it is true that a national literature cannot rise above the moral level of the social conditions of the people from whom it derives its inspiration-James Connolly.

What a bitch. I hate people that borrow money and have no intention of paying it back. I'd meet her face to face and explain in no uncertain terms that you are not going to forget about it, and if she was at all a decent person she'd pay you what she borrowed.

Either that or threaten to kill her cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerascrote View Post
    How much does she owe you?
    £24.50
    Be happy, accept those you care for, and live your life in a manner true to yourself, those you care for, and the values you hold dear to your heart.
    -- Click To See More

never a lender or a borrower be

don't be suprised if you never see that money again!

Thats true. But in that case I will remember to nag her about it every day!

Also bear in mind she owes all my friends money, not just me, she really does not like paying up. We went for a meal, everyone put in £20 except her who said her meal only cost her £12. That was frankie and bennies, 3 courses and a drink. £12? Wishful thinking. (I put an extra £3 in after too because we ended up short for some reason)

It's rude to say to a friends face how stingy they are though, so I've been polite thus far.
    -- Click To See More

Sofie Guest
    At least you know to never lend her money again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilora-Danon View Post
    I hate people that borrow money and have no intention of paying it back.
    And me, I've had this done a couple of times. It makes things unecessarily awkward, when you were just trying to be helpful.

All you can do is keep reminding her of it, don't be afraid to get a bit angry with her, it'll show that her behaviour is bothering you. Then you'll just have to learn from this in the future. Next time she wants to borrow money, you can bring up this time again as a reason for not giving her any.
    And I'll try not to feel this music's for you

Quote Originally Posted by ShyBoy View Post
    Thats true. But in that case I will remember to nag her about it every day!

Also bear in mind she owes all my friends money, not just me, she really does not like paying up. We went for a meal, everyone put in £20 except her who said her meal only cost her £12. That was frankie and bennies, 3 courses and a drink. £12? Wishful thinking. (I put an extra £3 in after too because we ended up short for some reason)

It's rude to say to a friends face how stingy they are though, so I've been polite thus far.
    Thats terrible. In a case like her, it sounds like, even though it may be rude, somebody just needs to tell her straight up that she's a stingy cheapo. It's not a one time thing and affecting more than one person. Its not fair at all, to anybody, to pay less than your meal if thats what you've decided. Thats on a whole other scale than even borrowing. She may not change, but getting it out and telling her how money-nasty she is could at least be a stress relief for you!
    Of all the mistakes you've made, the best are yet to come.

If you lend someone money and you never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyCreamcheese View Post
    If you lend someone money and you never see them again, it was probably worth it.
    I B I Z A IS ...

'Neither a borrower nor a lender be' is so true. I know the sum she owes you is not that much but it's the principle, which is why you keep asking her. But if she hasn't paid any of your other friends back either, chances are slim that you're ever going to get the money back now as she'll just keep making excuses. Put it down to experience and don't lend anything you can't afford/are not prepared to lose next time.
    piss the taking is someone realise u point this at is it

Well tbf, 25 quid isn't that much...she's a cunt for not giving it you back but I wouldn't lose any hair over it. I'm owed about £40 as it is by two of my mates and I know I'll probably never see it, just know not to give them money again and hope for the best they throw you it some day.
    Conformity before conscience Uniformity before faith!

To infinity and beyond!

"the reason i took drugs in the first place was because ...i was confused.
    it's all become clear since" -Rolly.

Just as it is true that a stream cannot rise above its source, so it is true that a national literature cannot rise above the moral level of the social conditions of the people from whom it derives its inspiration-James Connolly.

Not the kind of friend I'd want to be honest. I know it's not much money but it doesn't sound like she's being resonable at all.

I'd write off the money and create a bit of difference from her, don't invite her out next time you arrange a night out and if she complains tell her if she wants to come out she has to pay her way.

I hate stingy people.

Thing is, it wasnt lending per se, it was 'lets get fish and chips, since theres 8 of us I'll pay rather than 8 seperate roders and you all pay me back'. Everyone did practically on the spot and she was like 'ugh, I've got no change on me, pay you back tomorrow'.

Theres been so many of these things they've all added up. Most expensive was when I bought £120 worth of paintballs on my card for the day and everyone was to pay me back £17 (it was in the middle of the woods and we had no spare cash, but they took plastic lol).

To be honest, lots of things like the F&B's fraud I just grumble about, but when she says I'll give you the money when you get back, you get her a takeaway, and she then doesn't, it really fecks me off.
    -- Click To See More