Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The difference between power steering and no power steering

I'm learning to drive atm, I have my car ready and waiting (old peugeot 106) and it doesn't have power steering. Unfortunately, my dad is refusing to let me drive it until I pass so i get no practice. I'm just wondering what the difference is without power steering and I'm a bit worried it will affect my driving, what with being a new driver and learned in a car with power steering to driving one without.
    “In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.”
    ~Baba Dioum

Quote Originally Posted by Ballerina View Post
    I'm learning to drive atm, I have my car ready and waiting (old peugeot 106) and it doesn't have power steering. Unfortunately, my dad is refusing to let me drive it until I pass so i get no practice. I'm just wondering what the difference is without power steering and I'm a bit worried it will affect my driving, what with being a new driver and learned in a car with power steering to driving one without.
    When I was learning I had lessons in a Corsa with Electric Power Steering, but also drove my first car which was a 106 with no power steering. You will be able to notice the difference, but the wheels on a 106 are very small, 13" if i remember rightly - so it is easily copable with no power steering. My 106 was an ace first car loved it to peices.
    I B I Z A IS ...

I'm learning in a clio - i have no idea what size the wheels are.
    “In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.”
    ~Baba Dioum

I'm learning in a clio - i have no idea what size the wheels are.
    The wheels on the 106 will be 13" or 14" max which will be fine with no power steering. It will take a lil while to get used to but you'll be fine.
    I B I Z A IS ...

Oh yeah the 106 is a diesel, if that makes a difference? I don't actually know if the clio is diesel or petrol.
    ~Baba Dioum

Oh yeah the 106 is a diesel, if that makes a difference? I don't actually know if the clio is diesel or petrol.
    Doesn't make any difference to the steering.
    I B I Z A IS ...

i reckon it'd be noticeable enough.. im driving a car with no power steering at the minute and it feels pretty heavy.. its fine for normal driving but 3 point turns etc can be a cunt

you get used to it in no time tho!

It's harder to perform some manouvers without power steering, you have to remember to keep the car moving slightly whilst you turn the wheel. I learnt without and my first car didn't. Since then i've been spoilt.
    Whowhere, neither here nor there.

I learnt in a car with power steering (also a clio) and mine doesn't have it that i drive now.

The only difference you will notice is that the steering is a bit heavy but driving around there won't be much difference, it's only when you come to parking that it can become a bit of a problem. You have to turn the wheel really quick to get any sort of turn, it's a big of a hassle but i just find the spaces that you can drive into easily, i don't mind if it means a longer walk

My first two cars didn't have power steering. My new one does. The only time I really notice the difference is when I'm pulling Austin Power type parking manoeuvres. Oh, and cars with power steering are slightly harder to keep straight at speed on the motorway.

Just get your arms moving quicker. It'll be fine.

Power steering makes low-speed moves easier (such as the turn in the road), but isn't noticeable at high speed. That's because the power assistance gets less as the car goes faster, to make the steering more accurate.

If you live on a dead end street you'll get good biceps.

There's no way in hell I'd drive a car without PAS. My mum test drove a Suzuki Alto for me, and she ended up with a burst blood vessel in her palm from doing a reverse manoeuvre in it. That put me off for good.
    I find driving a manual car with PAS hard enough on my joints (I have a genetic condition that affects my joints/tendons/ligaments) without having to move a car with my bare hands (which is effectively what you are doing when PAS isn't there to help you).

i learned in a polo with power steering. My first car is a corsa with no power steering. Its different and more difficult, but you quickly get used to it. ...i did anyway

My car is supposed to have power steering, but the way it feels, I'm quite sure it doesn't I guess its a common problem. Can't really tell a difference when you drive, only when in slow/stop. Like pulling into a parking space. I look foward to winter and ice Its funny to drive other people's cars, though. I'm all over the place because I forget you don't have to give yourself a hernia getting out of the driveway. But saying that I've never driven one that technically didn't have it, so who knows. But surely power steering is like power locks or windows... not really going to find one nowadays without!
    Last edited by my name; 25-07-2007 at 08:05 PM.
    Of all the mistakes you've made, the best are yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by my_name View Post
    My car is supposed to have power steering, but the way it feels, I'm quite sure it doesn't I guess its a common problem. Can't really tell a difference when you drive, only when in slow/stop. Like pulling into a parking space. I look foward to winter and ice Its funny to drive other people's cars, though. I'm all over the place because I forget you don't have to give yourself a hernia getting out of the driveway. But saying that I've never driven one that technically didn't have it, so who knows. But surely power steering is like power locks or windows... not really going to find one nowadays without!
    In america maybe aren't most of your cars automatics too?
    ~Baba Dioum