Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lump on dogs back

I've just found a lump on my dogs back. She's just turned 7. I'm a bit worried because one of our other dogs had cancer and had to be put down for it. Just looking for any reassurance because i'm really worried.
    “In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.”
    ~Baba Dioum

Go to the vets, only way of knowing.
    Don't ever let somebody tell you can't do something. You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it.

Seeohbahn Guest
    Last edited by Seeohbahn; 22-08-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodFella View Post
    Go to the vets, only way of knowing.
    We're going to, but until then...
    “In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.”
    ~Baba Dioum

It could be Lipomas which are fat deposits under the skin and are nothing to worry about. Either way i would take him/her to the vets to have it checked out and they will probably do a needle biopsy to find out what it is.

Seeohbahn Guest
    Last edited by Seeohbahn; 22-08-2010 at 09:49 AM.

What do they feel like? This seems to be quite hard and its raised. She doesn't seem to mind when I press though.
    ~Baba Dioum

Quote Originally Posted by Ballerina View Post
    What do they feel like? This seems to be quite hard and its raised. She doesn't seem to mind when I press though.
    Usually they are soft to the touch, sometimes moveable, and are generally painless.

Quote Originally Posted by squeal View Post
    Usually they are soft to the touch, sometimes moveable, and are generally painless.
    Oh dear. She better not be going gammy on us - she's got loads of years left yet. My aunties springer is still going at 13!
    ~Baba Dioum

My old dog had loads of lumps on him that never seemed to bother him- I wouldn't worry too much. My rabbit is 10 and he has loads of lumps too, but all the time he's in good health I won't take him to the vets cos I figure the treatment must be pretty nasty for cancer if your dog is showing any signs of being unwell, straight the vets, no doubt. If they're ok, still eating weel, interested in going for walks etc, I wouldn't worry

Go to the vets straight away.
    My little baby had to be put down today. She became ill 2 weeks ago but got better a few days ago, woke up today and she'd had a fit
    I'm in pieces.
    Go straight away, preying your doggy is ok.
    I only said Jehova!

www.hard.fm

Quote Originally Posted by VinylVicky View Post
    My little baby had to be put down today. She became ill 2 weeks ago but got better a few days ago, woke up today and she'd had a fit
    I'm in pieces.
    Ah Vicky, I'm so sorry. I was a state when Sam was put down. Still get very tearful thinking about him, and he died back in March I'm really sorry sweetheart *hugs*

I'm in pieces.
    aaw We're taking her tomorrow, i'm hoping it's nothing serious. 7 seems too young for tumours. Apart from the lump she's fine, she's all bouncy and eating etc.
    ~Baba Dioum

I'm in pieces.
    Oh Vicky that's horrible . My old dog died in a similar way to that. She got poisoned by something she picked up while on a walk and had a fit on the day before Christmas Eve, the vet thought it was epilepsy so gave her drugs for that. But the drugs hid the real results of her kidney tests and then the day after Boxing Day her lung collapsed. They told us she was getting better on Christmas Day, so we went to see her on Boxing Day. It was horrible.

*many hugs for you*
    ...there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

'Franki is a wise one. Even if she hides it well sometimes' ~ Scary Monster
    'that's because you're perfect Franki' ~ Broken-Angel
    'I salute you Franki' ~ **helen**
    'I agree with everything that Franki has said' ~ Melian
    'You're a genius' ~ piccolo
    'Franki's right as usual' ~ James

Thanks everyone.
    Ballerina I'm sure things will be fine.

Mesha was only 6. she had a scan today and she was riddled with vicious tumours, putting her to sleep was the only thing we could do.

I've lost 3 dogs in 2 yrs now. We always say never again! But we always seem to home rescue dogs because people know we care.

My phone's broke too with all the photos of her

Sorry Ballerina, like someone else said, dogs have lumps and bumps all over the place. Mine always have.
    I only said Jehova!

www.hard.fm