Local Advice Finder

Find local services

Subscribe to newsletter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tax disc

Zella Guest

tax disc

I renewed my tax disc online and its all done and paid and whot not. My question is can I now legally driver my car or do I have to wait the 5 working days till I have the little circle thingy phsically in my car window?

I think you have to renew it 15 days before it runs out so by having the car registered as on the road with no tax disk is an offence. Has it actually expired yet? If not then you're ok but if it has then you're breaking the law. I'm not sure if this counts if your car is on private land (e.g. driveway) but I think it does. No you're not allowed to drive your car without displaying a valid tax disk, but you're not allowed to have the car without displayed a valid tax disk so you might as well drive it!
    ~* Vans Sporting, Corduroy Flared Indie Girl*~

I'm pretty sure you can drive it until the little round disc thing comes, because if you got done for not having the disc up they would check on their computer or whatever and it would show you do have car tax.

i'd hate it if i was wrong though and you got done but i always renew my car tax online, often on the day if runs out cos i always forget :/ and i dont wait for the disc to come. i bet i get done one day haha.
    they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality,but based on... if something is new, they reject it immediately because itís frightening to them. what they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Zella Guest
    it expired on the first and I didnt have the money to do it till today so I had it sorn off road.

It says on the website you can't drive your car without a valid tax disk. I checked cos in january I forgot to renew it and renewed it online the day before it ran out. I would drive it though, I drove mine

ETA: A question from the website

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

It is an offence to use a vehicle on a public road without displaying a valid tax disc.
    Last edited by kangoo; 08-05-2007 at 06:23 PM.
    ~* Vans Sporting, Corduroy Flared Indie Girl*~

Quote Originally Posted by kangoo View Post
    It says on the website you can't drive your car without a valid tax disk. I checked cos in january I forgot to renew it and renewed it online the day before it ran out. I would drive it though, I drove mine

ETA: A question from the website
    oh i was well wrong. haha.
    they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality,but based on... if something is new, they reject it immediately because itís frightening to them. what they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Yeah you have to display it for it to be legal, you should've just went to the post office and got it there and then, wouldve saved waiting 5 days.

Yeah, has to be displayed, but i drove round for months with mine under the passenger seat.
    Chances of getting caught are slim and if u do, only a really arsey copper would have ya for it.

Used to be slim, Sikorah.

My mum renewed her tax disc online, and continued to drive whilst waiting for it to come in the post. She printed off her receipt of payment as proof of tax. No one stopped her even though she still displayed her old tax disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilora-Danon View Post
    My mum renewed her tax disc online, and continued to drive whilst waiting for it to come in the post. She printed off her receipt of payment as proof of tax. No one stopped her even though she still displayed her old tax disc.
    No, they won't as the police system links with the DVLA's system and it will show up as taxed and legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of Kent View Post
    Used to be slim, Sikorah.
    Without wishing to encourage it, i'd say that chance of being caught not displaying a valid tax disc is just as slim as its ever been.

All the new measures in place to catch people without tax do so by running the registration plate through the PNC to access the DVLA database, which providing you have renewed it, will show that fact.

To my knowledge none of the fixed or mobile road side cameras checking focus in on the tax disc.

Beyond that, just echoing previous comments really, it's an offence if you do not display a valid tax disc regardless of having renewed your tax or not. And with hindsight, the post office would of been a safer options, but perhaps your circumstances didn't allow you to go there, perhaps best to park it on your drive and scrounge lifts where possible for the next few days!

I drove my new car from Peterborough to Norwich with no tax - just because I collected the car as early as i could on the saturday and couldn't get it taxed cos the post office was shut.

Bear in mind that having your car impounded etc is a MAXIMUM punishment. Likely you'd get away with a slap on the wrist.
    'the beauty of the kiss, the reason for its allure, for its strangeness, is that it is at the same time the most innocent and the filthiest form of human contact: the first thing a mother does to her baby, the one thing a prostitute will never do. No subsequent erotic experience ever matches the intensity of the first kiss, so perfect because it sketches for you vast horizons, limitless spaces, endless possibilites. Whatever faliures and flops follow, the kiss is never held responsible. The kiss never promises satisfaction, so it can never disappoint.'

Quote Originally Posted by Ilora-Danon View Post
    I think it's still an offense NOT to have a valid one on display

The fact she wasn't stopped was more likely to do with no one noticing - after all it's a bit hard to read the date on a tax disc zooming down the road.

A few months ago we used to do cars all the time for not displaying the tax unless the owner came up to us and reache inside and showed us it ha fallen or something, in that case we tore up the ticket. Now we have a direct line to DVLA who tell us to the minute if it is taxed or not. The upside is, you'd need a real arsehole of a PC to do you for not displaying a disc. The downside of it is, if you don't actually have a disc, i'll tow your car away and it'll cost you £200 to get it back.
    As for not being caught, depends on your area. I walk my beat 8 hours a day, so far i've towed away 6 cars for not having tax in just over 2 weeks and that is from a small rural town.

Zella, you have done the correct thing by actually getting a disc, so don't worry.
    Sikorah, the chances of being caught aren't huge unless your car is found parked up, but if we do find it, like I said we tow it away which will cost more than the tax.
    Diamond, it's surprisingly easy to spot a car with no tax, normally it's a shed, and the tax discs change colour every 12 months for a reason
    Whowhere, neither here nor there.