Hi everyone :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone :)

Thought it might be a good idea to introduce myself before I start figuring out how this site actually works. Me and technology don't get along. I'm Aidan, I'm 17 and I was an aspiring pilot until I recieved my diagnosis of depression and social phobia. Now I'm more interested in psychiatry, because I'd love to help others like me. I guess that's also why I'm here. And because I'd be lying if I said the antidepressants and CBT alone work. I want nothing more than to talk to someone who understands things like depression and self-harm, and knows it's nothing to do with attention. Attention could kill me. If you're not immediately repulsed, do be sure to say hi, I don't have any friends here yet
    Or anywhere else, actually, but it doesn't bother me much
    SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

Hiya and welcome to the mix forums!!

Oooo~ I'm curious by the line "I'd be lying if I said the antidepressants and CBT alone work" - i likely have a mental illness and i'd like to enter recovery for it...and as a psychologist (not interested in therapy mind- but explanations of things is what i do)..i'm interested in what you mean by that! Don't feel forced to elaborate or anything though, mere curiousity, you don't have to answer if you don't want to ahaha.

Comment

Hi Azath ✋
      My mind was all over the place when I started the antidepressants (prozac, or fluoxetine) but I noticed that whilst my circumstances or my thoughts about doing something daft weren't improving, it was becoming easier to relent giving in to those thoughts. Whereas I used to cut regularly and was hospitalised once after I OD'd, now I still think about that sort of thing (not voluntarily, it's like it's from somewhere else) but don't act on it. I find it hard to talk about these things in person, and my friends think I want attention or sympathy, so I looked all over the place for some kind of chat room and ended up here.
      Thanks for listening, and see you around 😊
      SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

Comment

And I can't say much about CBT, I've barely started it and it already seems like lying to yourself or some kind of psychological gibberish, no offence if you're into psychology 😂

Comment

Ahhh i see! Thanks for sharing! It's sure interesting to hear about the effect of anti-deps on thought.

And wow that sucks that your friends think you want attention I can somewhat relate on that front, ahaha, but here in the mix we recognize the genuine need for support so you shouldn't have to worry about that here!

Pfft, no offence taken!

Comment

Welcome Aidan! Glad to have you here on the boards. It's so commendable of you to reach out and expand the types of support you have. Looking forward to seeing you around!

Comment

Welcome to the community, Aidan. Glad you found us. Nice intro - it's great to see you already posting away!
              "You're familiar with the phrase "man's reach exceeds his grasp"? It's a lie: man's grasp exceeds his nerve."

Comment

Hi Aiden welcome to the boards

Comment

Hi Aidan, and welcome to the Mix community.It's lovely to have you here.

It's great that you have become interested in Psychiatry and have developed a willingness to help others who are in a similar situation as to what you are in.

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                  X