Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse

Got exams coming up?

Exams can be a stressful time for many of us, so we've created a new exams forum where you can get revision tips, share motivational messages, and rant about all your exams!
See more
See less

How to word this on a cv

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to word this on a cv

Hi guys so I'm thinking my cv is in need of a good update.

I'm a nursery support worke who works with a child who has additional needs. So I sorta work in the SEN category (special educational needs)

There's nothing I hate more then when someone refers to a child as a sen child.

No child should have a label!!! its should be a child who has additional needs or a child who has a sensory impairment. I have always stood by the saying of "disabilitys and learning difficulties is not a lable!"

So, how can I word this on a cv so that they can see at a glance that I have experience in SEN. Can I put "I have had experience with children who have additional needs."
    Or do I need to mention SEN.

I'm just curious as a friend who works in a different nursery said it will make it more clear to put "I work with SEN children"

But I hate the terminology of it!

Hi,
    In a way, isn't saying 'children with additional needs' labelling anyway? But I do understand what you mean. 'SEN' sort of strips away the actual person and makes them another statistic, but that's the same with all labels; they come with a level of dissassociation and de-personalisation.

If you need to express your experience with SEN children specifically, but understandably despise the terminology, maybe just write that.

E.g "I have experience with SEN children, although I must say I dislike the label due to the implied inferiority to others, and the aspect of defining many such children as all being the same. I believe the contrary is true, having had experience working with 'SEN' children."

That's probably a bit long for a CV, in retrospect, but I hope you understand the angle I'm coming from, from it.

Anyway, hope you figure it out!! And if you're updating your CV to find a job, good luck in the job hunt!! 😊
    SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

Comment

Hi One-in-a-million,

Completely see what you mean! And you're actually not wrong in saying that is isn't the best thing to say! I study psychology and one of our lecturers actually mentioned that it is best to not label someone as something but rather as suffering with something. That way you divide the 'disability' or 'issue' from the individual as opposed to seeing labelling the person as its issue or disability. What Aidan said seems pretty good! You could always say 'I work with children who suffer from SEN', that way you maintain who they are but just mention that they are faced with something they happen to have. Hope this helps, and well done for thinking so sensitively about these things! It's a great step to reducing stigmatisation!

Have a great day,
      Drea

Comment

Not sure if this is still relevant, but I think wording it as 'working with a child who has additional needs' is fine. SEN is the most common term but I've also seen additional needs being used quite frequently too.

Anyway, totally agree with not labelling though

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
        X