help, pro rata per annum??

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help, pro rata per annum??

someone please help me.
    i have been offered a job at 30 hrs per week.the letter says this

....role is a 30 hour per week role with a proposed starting salary is 19,427 pro rata per annum. You are also entitled to a 6% pension contribution subject to satisfactory completion of a standard three month probationary period...

how much does this mean i will actually earning after tax,ni etc??

i am very confused....!

Be happy, accept those you care for, and live your life in a manner true to yourself, those you care for, and the values you hold dear to your heart.
    -- Click To See More

Hi DizzyLizzy21,

As ShyBoy says, Pro Rata means proportion of a full salary. As your are being employed 30 hours a week, and an average working week is 37, you'll be getting about 81% (although this depends on what your employer counts as a full working week).

Per Annum means a year.

Your Income Tax will currently be 20% of your income, although your first £6,475 won't be taxed (assuming this is your only income).

Your National Insurance is currently roughly 11% of your salary (exact contributions depend on a number of factors).

If you are a recent graduate and taken out a student loan you'll have that automatically deducted from your salary. Find out more about paying back a student loan.

Your 6% pension contribution means that 6% of your gross salary can be put into a pension scheme (usually matched by a contribution from your employer).

(the following is an unchecked calculation, i can't be held responsible if it's wrong!)

Roughly this means your pro-rata gross salary is £15,751. You'll have to pay £1855 in Income Tax and about £1000 in NI. Which means you'll get about £1070 a month (excluding any pension or student loan contributions).

All that said, the easiest thing to do is ask your HR / peronnel to tell you what your take-home pay (known as your net salary) will be. They should be able to give you a fairly accurate estimate.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Olly_B; 03-08-2009, 05:42 PM.
      "You can not become if you only said what you would have done." So Do-it.

I have found the following website to be quite useful in working out net pay, and has options for student loan and pension deductions.

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services is delivered by YouthNet UK. Registered charity number: 1048995