X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin books

Hi guys,
    wasn't quite sure were to put this so please move if needed
    I want to teach myself Latin, and was just wondering if anyone could recommend any books or websites they found useful?
    Thanks
    The headlights from passing cars
    They illuminate my face then leave me the dark
    The voice of Nirvana says, "Come as you are"
    And I will

Wow, I hope you're a grammar buff!

We used the Cambridge Latin Course (which comes with teachers' books) but I would recommend Minimus as a more accessible version.

Moving away from the realms of schoolbooks, I've used Teach Yourself for other ancient languages and found it good, and Amo, amas, amat makes some of the grammar easier to get to grips with.

Promise me you'll always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ― Winnie-the-Pooh

Comment

There's a set of text books called Reading Latin. Comes in three parts, the text, the grammar vocabulary & exercises book, and the independant study guide.

To get the full set would be expensive, so probably only worth it if you're serious about it, and have maybe tried things like Amo, Amas and Amat first to check you're going to properly get into it. That said, the set make a really good independant study course and is how I learnt a fair amount of my Greek.
      Growls

Comment

Decided I want to try and get into Oxford/Cambridge in a few years and I figured it'd help considering I don't currently do a language! Planning on taking a GCSE in it when I've learnt. Starting volunteering for my Duke of Edinburgh next week, all very exciting!
        Found a really good free website with loads of lessons and worksheets on it, and the guy even does tutoring over skype, going well so far :D

Thanks for the book recommendations I'll check them out!
        And I will

Comment

It's a complete myth that you need to have studied Latin to get into Oxford/Cambridge.

The only thing that it would be useful for is if you wanted to study Classics - but even then, there's an ab initio course (from scratch) which takes an extra year and is aimed at people who haven't done A level Latin & Greek.

(And I used to work for a Cambridge admissions office)

If you're keen to get into a university then your best line of attack is to a) focus on doing well in your main stream school work b) try and get some basics in a modern language if you don't do one at school - a GCSE in a modern language used to be a basic entry requirement for many of the top universitys, that's changing slightly now it's no longer compulsory at secondary school and c) work on developing skills and interest beyond your normal class work in whatever it is you think you might want to study at uni.
          Growls

Comment

Oh, I know you don't need to of studied it, I just think it'll help. I spoke to a man at BHASVIC the other day (a college) and it came up then. I want to study law at university by the way.

I've always wanted to learn Latin, and it's just given me a real reason to focus on it. And my mums boyfriend is a university lecturer, and he said to me that he looks for things like Latin/D of E/volunteering... just thought it might be a good thing to do :/
            And I will

Comment

Just to add.... Out of the people who I know who went to Oxbridge, NONE of them did Latin. I went to a language school and even then it wasn't offered, but other Oxbridge people I know didn't do it either. I think for university admissions there are so many things that are more important.

Like Scary said have you thought about doing another language? One that can actually be spoken? I'm not sure, it just might be easier to stick with, and it can really open up doors, and show you're a good communicator.

I think (and sort of hope) that universities are getting on board with the idea that languages = important. I know schools no longer have to teach it (bad move in my opinion) but when I was applying UCL were moving towards applicants needing a GCSE in a modern foreign language. Just looked it up now - and all students need to have a language requirement but this can be done through the university once enrolled.

Having said all that, I don't want to put you off - just wanted to make sure you've covered all your options and it is definitely what you want!
              There's only one way of life
              And that's your own, your own, your own

One Way - The Levellers

Comment

I did 2 languages in year 8/9, had the option of 4 but dropped all of them. Couldn't stand the teachers, got kicked out of French and Spanish and the other two were at lunch and optional for G&T listed kids anyway.
                I just want to learn Latin, whether it'll help me or not. I've looked into the courses I'd be interested in, I know the requirements.
                I just wanted to learn Latin was actually quite excited about sorting every thing out but feel all lost and disheartened now :/
                And I will

Comment

Originally posted by Broken-Angel View Post
                  I did 2 languages in year 8/9, had the option of 4 but dropped all of them. Couldn't stand the teachers, got kicked out of French and Spanish and the other two were at lunch and optional for G&T listed kids anyway.
                  I just want to learn Latin, whether it'll help me or not. I've looked into the courses I'd be interested in, I know the requirements.
                  I just wanted to learn Latin was actually quite excited about sorting every thing out but feel all lost and disheartened now :/
                  No don't feel disheartened. If you have the motivation, and it is something you really want to do then go for it. I just got the impression that you were doing it for university, and if that was the case there may have been other options. If that's not the case then definitely go for it, as it doesn't matter whether it will help your application or not, and doing something self-taught shows real determination anyway, so if you're sure then definitely give it a shot

One Way - The Levellers

Comment

To be honest it doesn't matter. I wouldn't be able to do it anyway.
                    Just like the D of E. Even the teachers have said I wont be able to do it. No point
                    And I will

Comment

et sedit super lecto cat

:D
                      I've got plenty of baggage and i don't expect anyone to carry it for me. But you can have a good rummage through it if you'd like.

katralla - That's right, I am Kev, and I am a slut.

Munkey, Ruudy & Friends

Comment

Originally posted by Broken-Angel View Post
                        To be honest it doesn't matter. I wouldn't be able to do it anyway.
                        Just like the D of E. Even the teachers have said I wont be able to do it. No point
                        I still stand by what I said... So if it's something you really want to do I reckon you will be able to get there. If you keep things realistic and avoid putting too much pressure on yourself I'm sure you'll be able to make a good start :D

Why did they say that about DofE? Everybody should be able to do it.... Did they give a reason? PM me if you want, can't help on the Latin front but I'll try my best with this. And also remember that you don't have to do it through school. Many other organisations run it. And if for whatever reason you can't do it, it's still really great to have a mix of activities in your life, so volunteering, sport and a skill. That's what matters compared to some award. And also if you start now it'll be easier to pick it up later on as you'll already be doing all the requirements all the best

One Way - The Levellers

Comment

If you want to do Latin, you'll need a lot of self motivation. The same stands for D of E. To succeed at either you'll need to stick at it, even when you get knock backs.

If you show the same attitude in school that you've just shown here then it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that your teachers don't think you can do it - that doesn't mean however you shouldn't take the opportunity to prove them wrong. One option to go for D of E, and do Latin as your skill for D of E.
                          Growls

Comment

They don't think I can do it because of my mental health problems.
                            And I will

Comment

Did they actually say that? Because it's bullshit...

Unless they're worried about how you'd get on with your group for the expedition? I'm not sure...

One Way - The Levellers

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

TheSite.org is delivered by YouthNet UK. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                              X

A short TheSite survey: to help us help you

Hi there! Please take a minute to answer this short survey. The information you give us will only be used to help us better understand our users and improve our services. The survey is anonymous. Thank you for helping us out.

Click to take the survey >