Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Get involved

Fancy hosting one of our General Chats, or getting involved with the community in another way? Let us know here.
2 of 2 < >

Post of The Month (July)

Aidan is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Hey Lucie,

You say you're still on medication and have had lots of therapy? Maybe it's a matter of revisiting old coping techniques and anything else like that, that therapy taught you?

And Drea is absolutely right! Even someone with everything material that they could ever want isn't insusceptible to mental illness. Any sex, race, age, class; it doesn't discriminate...
"
(Click for full post)
See more
See less

Long Distance Relationships: Yay or nay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Distance Relationships: Yay or nay?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Long distance.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	18022

​Hi everyone!

​So the world is such a big place and technology is everywhere, so we all meet people in different ways and in different places.

​But geography can sometimes get in the way of relationships, whether that's family, friends or romantic.

​I think romantic long distance relationships can be the most conflicted as it can be a struggle to form something honest, fulfilling and happy with someone that may be across the world. And you have to choose whether to commit or not.
    Just the though of this can put some people off, but what if you are missing out on someone and something really special?

​I do have a little personal experience here with my partner, but I wanted to see what your experiences were. Is anyone currently struggling with a long distance relationship? Or do you have any advice you can give others?

​Personally, I think that communication is key. There is SO much out there such as Messenger and Skype where you can connect with each other and this is really important.

​Then there's trust. Something which I think comes with healthy communication.

​And finally excitement.​ Actually wanting to see each other is vital. You need to enjoy your time together and arrange dates/video calls/visits whenever possible. Making it special means that the wait and distance is filled with excitement rather than longing.

​Those are just a few things that I believe can help a long distance relationship, and I am on the side that definitely think that they are worth it. So long as there is mutual respect, dedication and love.

​But what are some of your thoughts/experiences?

​Are you a yay or nay?

-PositiveAura

Hey PositiveAura,
    I myself don't have experience with long distance relationships, but I do have the wonderful experience of watching my older brother and his girlfriend's relationship blossom. If a couple can make it work than i'm all for the yay!

I agree with you on the communication. with technology today it is so easy to stay in touch with each other! my brother and his girlfriend use skype mainly when they are both at home, and talk through Facebook messenger while at work etc.( they seem to enjoy posting their convos on facebook and its kinda cute to see how the talk with each other ) i think date nights over the internet are important too, being able to both sit on skype and watch the same movie etc.

I also feel, being able to physically see each other, is important. In my brothers case this isn't a problem as they both have money to travel and at least see each other in person 3 times a year! He has been to america a few times and she has been to the UK once and will be coming again soon and they plan to go to Paris. I suppose its alright when you have the money and time to be able to travel. i'm sure it would be hard when travelling to see each other can be a challenge?

Talking to other long distance couple helps i feel. there is actually a website fpr long distance couples are able to share their stories and experiences, I feel this is a positive and helpful in a long distance relationships because it gives you the chance to meet others, ask for advice, listen to other couples tips about making long distance work. I can't remember what the website is called, but they do cool things like have couple of the month, where their story gets shared. ( gone a bit off topic)
    I personally thing its important and positive to be able to speak to others in going through similar, there could be a lot of advice found etc.

personally from watching my brother's relationship grow, they have been together for 4 years now. It's amazing to see how being in different countries and the affect of time zones, doesn't change how people can feel about each other. I think long distance relationships are a lot harder,but both sides working together is important.
    If you love someone right you aim to make it work right?

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
    X