Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Gender & Sexuality forum: now open!

Hey everyone,

You spoke and it was thus: due to popular demand and to celebrate Pride month, we're delighted to launch our new Gender & Sexuality forum!

Why not head over now and take a look around. Make sure you look through the guidelines (and add your own suggestions) and read all about the history of Pride

This is your space - feel free to make it yours and post away!

James, Aife, Mike & Kathleen
(The Mix team)
2 of 2 < >

Post of The Month (April)

Maisy is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community:

"You're not bitchy at all. What this guy did to you, and how he invalidates it afterwards is horrific and you deserve justice. Rape can happen to anyone..."

(Click for full post)
See more
See less

Dating for social phobics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating for social phobics

Many mental illnesses make it harder to engage with others socially, never mind sexually, but social phobia in particular is very common and always hinders your attempts to even be with others- especially those you find attractive.

Since I'm very socially withdrawn and introverted- and also socially phobic/anxious like millions of others- I was wondering if anyone had any tips for, well, dating. Where do I meet girls with similar interests to me? Should I hide what I'm really like or should I be upfront? Is there even any way to specifically date others with social phobia/anxiety who also find it hard and understand? That kind of thing.

Dating advice in general is most welcome (I'm 17 and i've still never been in a sexual relationship, what a fail) but I'm really looking for something that speaks to me and other social phobics out there. Help a brother out 😂. Thanks guys 😁

Believe it or not, we don't actually want to be lonely 😭
    SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

I really don't wanna die alone 😭
    SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

Comment

Have you tried dating sites?

Comment

No, most of them are 18+ anyway, and you can't be sure who you're actually talking to.

Have you seen catfish before?

Comment

Hi there its ok to be socially introverted. Maybe it's about going to places where other people with similar interests go? What do you like to do for fun for example if you play computer games could you see if anyone you know is also interested?

Maybe just try to be friends with someone to begin with see if you like them before moving on to date them.

Comment

I'm starting to regret making this thread, I think people like me are just meant to be alone

Comment

Sorry about earlier, I really wasn't in a good mood.

​Thanks for the advice both of you. It might be easier for me to meet new people over the interwebs than face-to-face, and I suppose it makes sense to only want to be friends initially, and see where it goes from there. Even if I didn't like them in that​ way, we could still be friends. That said, I'm still probably going to stay single for quite a while yet xD

Best of luck to all the other singles out there who have to survive valentine's day alone
              ​ I mean, have fun having all the chocolates to yourself

Comment

Hey Aidan,
                Completely get it can be hard to meet people and it's easy to feel alone! But often relationships come surprisingly and not when you expect! Or as you said, they often come out of friendships! Keep your head high and remember that any outcome is fine! Either way you could end up making friends with someone!
                Speak soon!
                Drea

Comment

Aidan, do you have difficulty making friends - or is it dating that's most difficult for you?

Comment

Hi,

Both- it's always been a problem for me. Even when I was in nursery and primary school, they kept sending me to doctors to be tested for things like autism or asperger's, but never got any diagnosis. I just never feel like I'm close with anyone, and I've got this unshakeable (and admittably irrational) distrust of people I don't know. I wouldn't even be here if I didn't realise it wasn't normal.

Hopefully now that I'm on fluoxetine and getting therapy, any underlying issues might get dealt with too.

Thanks for replying, some of this advice has should useful 😊

Comment

You've been prescribed fluoxetine, but haven't been diagnosed with any mental disorder?

Comment

Depression and social anxiety, yes.

I just meant I hadn't been diagnosed with anything when school referred me to the doctor's because they suspected autism or something, about 10 years ago now.

Comment

For how long have you suffered from social anxiety?
                          Last edited by Robert; 13-02-2017, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I honestly have no idea, the symptoms seem to be relevant for me most of my life. Technically speaking though, I've had it a few month now, because psychiatrists.

Comment

You mean you were diagnosed with social anxiety disorder a few months ago?

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                              X