how much money would it cost to drive 80 miles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much money would it cost to drive 80 miles

The title is a bit odd but my point is i'm looking at a university which is in cambridge approx 40 miles away from me but i want to commute as i don't want to live in halls. So my question is how much money would i be spending on petrol to drive approx 80 miles a day(there and back)
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken! :D

about a tenner a day i guess. what 30-40 miles per gallon? 4 pound a gallon, so around 10pounds.

Comment

It depends what you're driving.

I drove a small Fiesta for a 50 mile commute and it cost me about £13 per return journey of 100 miles. Plus parking of about £3 a day. But petrol prices have come down a smudge since then.
      Last edited by Kermit; 01-10-2006, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Depends on the car. At the moment, £10 should get you 80-110 miles in average cars. Bank on £10 for a return journey, anything less is a bonus. Unless you have an Impreza, and are getting 18-22mpg... then it'll cost you heaps more. Think I was getting 250-280 miles to £50 or thereabouts...

Comment

If it were me, I'd be more bothered about whether or not I could stick a 40 mile commute every time there was a lecture.
          Another quality post brought to you by Mr Mist, god of Moo.

Comment

The car will be a fiat punto so it will probably have a 1.1 engine.

Mist- I don't exactly have much of a choice in terms of commuting if i go to london uni's its still a commute on train and tube.

Comment

my uni is 30 miles away and i've worked out (even though my petrol guage is broken!) that it costs around £3 to get there.

eta: why do you have to go to a london uni??

Comment

Originally posted by PRETTYgreenEYES
                With no traffic, expect 7-9 for each return journey, if the car is good and looked after properly. Get stuck in traffic, and forget any expectations. I reckon you'll use a litre in around 20 minutes of idling, so you'll waste a gallon every hour and a half of idling. It all adds up... Stopping and starting will use a bit more, too.

Comment

...yeh so basically wot i said

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer devil
                    my uni is 30 miles away and i've worked out (even though my petrol guage is broken!) that it costs around 3 to get there.

eta: why do you have to go to a london uni??
                    I don't have to but i don't want to be far from home so it's either a london uni, anglia ruskin or hertfordshire uni that i'd go to

Comment

You can find the answer with a very simple basic math equation.

(Miles your driving / miles per gallon your car gets ) cost of gas per gallon = cost to drive x amount of miles.

Example:

(80/27)2.5= about 7.40 to go 80 miles.
                      Last edited by my name; 01-10-2006, 09:01 PM.
                      Of all the mistakes you've made, the best are yet to come.

Comment

Originally posted by PRETTYgreenEYES

Mist- I don't exactly have much of a choice in terms of commuting if i go to london uni's its still a commute on train and tube.
                        It'll have a 1.2 engine...not that it'll make much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by LacyMay
                          It'll have a 1.2 engine...not that it'll make much difference.
                          They do make a 1.1 punto as well actually smart arse
                          I KNOW YOU LOVE IT, REALLY ! <

Comment

why don't you want to live in halls?
                            Sweet as Heaven, Hot as Hell, Born to Tease, Taught to Please

Comment

Originally posted by Mist
                              If it were me, I'd be more bothered about whether or not I could stick a 40 mile commute every time there was a lecture.
                              even more tempting to sack the whole day off to chill, when you're miles away!
                              I only said Jehova!

www.hard.fm

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

TheSite.org is delivered by YouthNet UK. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                              X