Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner can't sign on / claim JSA because of my 16k job - is that right?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partner can't sign on / claim JSA because of my 16k job - is that right?

As the title suggests, I'm in a bit of a pickle - to put it lightly!

I live with my partner in a small flat which we pay half the rent for each, bills are our own concern but we try to split things 50/50.

I work on a permanent basis earning 16k annually

My partner has just graduated from University but the jobs market in her field is tough. She's tried freelancing and a few other things but hasn't yet found a "proper" job - she is trying to find work though.

However, we're hard up at the moment and finally swallowed our pride and got her to go and see about signing on - only to be told that she can't!

Why? Because I have a job that pays 16,000 a year.

I'm here to ask if that's right and if there's anything that can be done about it. My partner and I are not married nor legally joined in any way - there is no arrangement where I give her money on a formal basis. So I'm wondering on what grounds I am expected to support both of us - especially as I've not been asked any details about my own income or means by the JSA agency.

If anyone has any experience or advice in this situation - I'd welcome it. I know her finding work is the best possible idea but being realistic, she hasn't got a job and I can't support us both in the long term on my own salary.

Thanks!

no, its quite right. If you live together as a couple, it makes no difference if youre married or not. If one is out of work, the other is expected to support them.
    She will either need to look for a job outside of her chosen field, or youll need to live seperatly if you cant support her.

Comment

I had this problem, effectively, if you're living together as if you were married (in a civil partnership) then you might as well be. The first place I can think of to go for some help and advice would be you're local CAB.
      "We're Starfleet officers, weird is part of the job." (Capt. Janeway)

Comment

Welcome to the boards and thanks for posting your query.

As Fiend_85 and SuzyCreamcheese have mentioned, your income will be relevant to your partner's claim for JSA. For more information check out the Gov.UK pages about JSA eligibility - https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

You may also like to use the Benefits adviser service which checks which benefits you and your partner may be entitled to - https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser
        Maybe you'd be eligible for other benefits that would help you both financially right now.

Hope this helps and good luck to your partner in finding a job. She may find the articles on TheSite's work guide useful - http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/gettingajob

If I'm honest, the handbag I would probably like most is a big, hollowed-out potato with handles on it. A giant King Edward with satchel straps. Then, in times of crisis, I could bake and eat the handbag, and survive the winter.
        How to be a woman, Caitlin Moran, 2011. Ebury Press.

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

TheSite.org is delivered by YouthNet UK. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
        X

A short TheSite survey: to help us help you

Hi there! Please take a minute to answer this short survey. The information you give us will only be used to help us better understand our users and improve our services. The survey is anonymous. Thank you for helping us out.

Click to take the survey >