Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse

Post of The Month (July)

Aidan is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Hey Lucie,

You say you're still on medication and have had lots of therapy? Maybe it's a matter of revisiting old coping techniques and anything else like that, that therapy taught you?

And Drea is absolutely right! Even someone with everything material that they could ever want isn't insusceptible to mental illness. Any sex, race, age, class; it doesn't discriminate...
"
(Click for full post)
See more
See less

The time of the month would you help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The time of the month would you help?

So I was just watching a pretty funny video on Facebook. Basically there were 3 girls one said "oh no I got my period anyone got a tampon?" A group of people next to them complained and then it burst into song (I got that flow&#128514

Anyway it got me thinking, to me and my friends it's just nature and we talk about it like it's nothing.
    But it was around this time last year I was doing my exams. I was in a rush so I just chucked my stationary in my bag, grabbed my phone and key and went. I actually got college half an hour early but auntie flow decided to pay a visit and I had no pads with me. As I was on my own that day I couldn't ask my friend (one class different)
    I did the only thing I could and asked a few of the girls around. Many of them looked at me when I said "excuse me" but then blanked me after I explained I needed a pad. Others gave me a funny look and said "no" in a way that made it seem that It was an awkward thing to ask. I spent a good 15 minutes asking around and getting the same response. I was now getting myself upset. I had 15 minutes before my exam. I was making a mess of myself despite a large wax of tissue. I was already emotional because I'd come on (we all know emotions run high at that time lol) and I felt embarrassed. Finally a tutor saw I was distressed and asked if I was ok. I explained to her what my problem was and she managed to go to the staff room and get me something that I was able to use.

So I was just wondering how other people would react to someone asking for a pad/tampon. I for one would be cool with it after all us girls need to stick together

There is sort of 2 questions really

Question 1 is it ok to talk about?

No it's gross should be kept to yourself Or
    It's totally natural and nothing to be ashamed off

Question 2 would you help someone out if they asked for a sanitary item?

Yes I would give someone a pad/tampon if they asked or
    No I wouldn't give someone a pad/tampon if they asked

Just a bit of fun and interest really
    No it's gross should be kept to yourself
    0.00%
    It's totally natural and nothing to be ashamed off
    52.63%
    Yes I would give someone a pad/tampon if they asked
    47.37%
    No I wouldn't give someone a pad/tampon if they asked
    0.00%
    Last edited by zaynah; 22-05-2017, 01:58 PM.

I know as a bloke my opinion is completely invalid, but I really don't think there should be any sort of stigma around periods (well, amongst women anyway, if blokes like me were to discuss it, that'd be strange). I mean, why? It's a universal thing amongst women. It's the minority that don't have periods, not the majority, so I just don't get it. Most men have to shave. Do we stigmatise shaving? Do we heck.

But I can understand people not giving away pads. They aren't exactly the cheapest things to buy. It's disgusting there's even a luxury tax charged on them. Because women can choose to not have periods, right?? Pffffffft.
    SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

Comment

If I had a pad I would definitely share it with a girl in need! I know I would hate to get caught short myself so would happily help someone out in the same position. I've had a girl in the past ask me for one but I didn't have one on me at the time - I felt bad for the poor girl. I'd never turn my nose up at someone like that, we're all in the same boat!

Comment

I always carry extra in case i or someone else starts unexpectedly, the girls where i work are always asking me for some because they know i don't have any shame and i'm always packing i think obviously we can't all afford too many of them but its not like they go off and even if you don't have extra or any to spare you don't have to be weird about it it's completely natural and just as awkward for those dealing with it x
        ~To be where one wishes to be, one must first truly believe that One's self will get there~

-L A N E

Comment

And as far as the tax it is rather silly, like if people find it so disgusting why would they put a tax on it so we can barely get by? x
          ~To be where one wishes to be, one must first truly believe that One's self will get there~

-L A N E

Comment

Ah i see no problem in this. And agree.
            Someone i hardly knew ask me after asking loads of people who never gave her one and manage to have some. Also had paracetamol handy for her to. And people who ive asked didn't really hesitate or look at me weirdly. Don't see anything embarrassing about it
            The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide you are not going to stay where you are

Comment

Oh, of course I would, if a girl asked me for a pad or tampon and I had one I'd give it to them!!! I don't get why people find it so awkward to talk about periods. As a person who has horrendous periods that start whenever they darn well please (every 18-40 days) I know how bad it is to be caught out so I sympathise with your situation!
              "Truely independent person who doesn't do quotes, just dates".. (29.04.17)

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                I know as a bloke my opinion is completely invalid, but I really don't think there should be any sort of stigma around periods (well, amongst women anyway, if blokes like me were to discuss it, that'd be strange). I mean, why? It's a universal thing amongst women. It's the minority that don't have periods, not the majority, so I just don't get it. Most men have to shave. Do we stigmatise shaving? Do we heck.

But I can understand people not giving away pads. They aren't exactly the cheapest things to buy. It's disgusting there's even a luxury tax charged on them. Because women can choose to not have periods, right?? Pffffffft.
                Wow!!! Not an invalid opinion a very good one to have!!
                "Truely independent person who doesn't do quotes, just dates".. (29.04.17)

Comment

I've been in both shoes, I was caught out last year and no one would help bit I've also been the person who helped someone with the same problem too.

I know quite a few people who find it awkward but let's face it. It can't be helped

Comment

Nice one guys so many great opinions here. This was mote of a random thred to be honest but it's nice to see people's reactions

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                    X