Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse

Post of The Month (July)

Aidan is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Hey Lucie,

You say you're still on medication and have had lots of therapy? Maybe it's a matter of revisiting old coping techniques and anything else like that, that therapy taught you?

And Drea is absolutely right! Even someone with everything material that they could ever want isn't insusceptible to mental illness. Any sex, race, age, class; it doesn't discriminate...
"
(Click for full post)
See more
See less

Normality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normality

This is going to sound daft, but...

What does it feel like to be normal?

I know people have their own different definitions of what normal is or isn't, but all I mean is, how does it actually feel, emotionally, physically, whatever, to not be dragged down by anxiety and depression?
    Or any other disorder really?

I'm in a very bad place mentally right now, and I need to picture what it'll be like if I can overcome this- I think it'll give me some well-needed motivation to change. But I can't even imagine what it's like to be free of this pain, because I can't remember a time when I wasn't like this.

Thanks in advance guys, mandatory smily face 😊
    Last edited by zaynah; 20-02-2017, 12:41 PM.
    SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

Hi aidan normality is very hard to describe. I suppose it's a sense of feeling safe and secure within myself? Itbis quite hard to explain.

A few years back I was at my lowest point and felt un wanted, un needed, unimportant, humiliated, scared, weighed down, un confident, self hate, like I wanted to disappear.

But after a while and with help I now feel
    Needed, loved, important, safe, secure, understood, wanted, human and able (able to do things)

Try to remember that life wont always be like how you're feeling right now and that there are ways to get to where you want to be.
    I had depression for a short period of time after an event that happened.

Are you reciving help at the moment

Comment

Yeah, I'm getting help, but things are only getting better very slowly and it's taking so much effort.
      SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

Comment

Hi Aidan it's good to hear you are getting help. I know it's hard but even getting better slowly is progress. It may take some time but it will all work out in the end.

Have you spoken to anyone about this feeling of slow progression

Comment

No, but I get the impression that it's normal. If you're making quick progress on your depression, it probably isn't depression.

Comment

Hi

Everyone takes there own time some people will feel quicker progression than others. Just try to think positive that any progression is better than no progression.

There are different types of depression as well some are easier to treat than others. If I'm honest I didn't even know I had depression until I saw a doctor. It took a while but I felt better after what actually I thought waa forever. Mine was due to an event that happened in my life. But with help, counselling and a wellbeing program I did make progress. I am still supposed to alert my doctor if anything changes again.

Hope you're ok

Emma

Comment

Hi Emma,
              I guess some progress is better than none. It's probably because I feel like most of it is down to the antidepressants and has nothing to do with anything I've done myself.

But I've been reffered to a CBT therapist by my counsellor, so progress might pick up again when that starts.

I'm okay for me, thanks. Still breathing.

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
              X