Essential support for under 25s


1 of 2 < >

Get involved

Fancy hosting one of our General Chats, or getting involved with the community in another way? Let us know here.
2 of 2 < >

Post of The Month (July)

Aidan is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Hey Lucie,

You say you're still on medication and have had lots of therapy? Maybe it's a matter of revisiting old coping techniques and anything else like that, that therapy taught you?

And Drea is absolutely right! Even someone with everything material that they could ever want isn't insusceptible to mental illness. Any sex, race, age, class; it doesn't discriminate...
(Click for full post)
See more
See less

To get help, or to get what I want...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To get help, or to get what I want...

    Think I might have EDNOS from what I've read and from what someone I spoke to said, who suggested I see a GP for further advice. I'm scared though that they'll tell me I have nothing wrong with me and just to buck up, or that therapy won't work, or that medication will make me fat. I don't want to feel like this around food, I hate it, but I want to be thin. When I go back to uni I have chance to go to the doctor and let them know what is bothering me, and get help before this gets a lot worse, but I also have the chance to take control of my food and lose weight to be thin. Ugh. I don't even know what anyone would be able to say to me, but I'm just venting. I'm tired of dealing with this alone.

  • #2
    this probably isn't the answer you were hoping for, but basically they will probably say some of those things to you. it's not that they wouldn't see the problem, bjut that they wouldn't class it as severe enough. it's disgraceful and unacceptable but with the strains the NHS is under, you'd be really lucky to be offered specialist help for EDNOS. EDNOS is a serious, dangerous condition that should be taken seriously, but most NHS services can only take the worst cases because they have such limited facilities. it's still worth giving it a try with your doctor but you might be better off seeing a counsellor at your uni to talk about your relationship with food, and maybe get yourself some self-help materials to try. even if you did get a referral from your GP to a specialist service the wait for an appointment would probably be a matter of months. untimately for problems with eating, if you are motivated to change then you can do the work yourself and would be expected to do the work yourself, even if you had a therapist. it might be a bit harder without someone to guide you, but there are lots of books, websites and charities that can help you now, not in six months time when you have become that bit worse to be able to access the waiting list for a service that will probably be very limited in what it can offer you anyway.
    I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.


    • #3
      Hello PulledUnder,

      Its been a few days since you posted, how are things going? Are you any clearer on what you want to do?

      If you are at all worried about any kind of health problem then it is definitely worth getting a professional opinion from a doctor, as they are best able to point you in the right direction of the treatment and care that is best for you and suits your needs.

      Originally posted by omg hi View Post might be better off seeing a counsellor at your uni to talk about your relationship with food, and maybe get yourself some self-help materials to try...

      Omghi has raised a few good points here. Counselling may help you to understand your relationship with food and change the way you think about it and self help materials may be beneficial if you feel ready to start overcoming your problems with food on your own. These are definitely things worth thinking about.

      We have some really useful articles on thesite about eating disorders that you may find informative.

      For more specific advice, support and help for eating disorders the Beat eating disorders website is great. They have some more information about EDNOS, a helpfinder section to direct you to help in your area and a helpline (0845 634 1414) where you can get confidential support and information.

      Take a look at these and let us know how you get on


      Hide this page

      Local Advice Finder

      Find local services

      The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995