Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tube

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Tube

    Can someone give me a hand here? I'm trying to get to St. Pauls underground station, yet for some reason the trainline website doesn't list it as a station. I think it's London Zone 1, but I'm not sure.

    And just for a bit of a rant, why the fuck can they not put both names on the website? Or would that be too easy?

  • #2
    Have you tried the London Underground website?

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, that's where it said Zone 1. But I'd rather ask someone who uses it a bit just to make sure that zone 1 isn't some sort of zone rather than a station.

      Incidentally, all these people who bang on about the availability of cheap train tickets, any chance you could pull one out of your arse right about now? I've just been quoted the following...

      CHEAP DAY SINGLE
      29.70

      STANDARD DAY SINGLE
      30.40

      FIRST DAY SINGLE
      58.50

      ...for a one and a half hour journey between Southampton and London Zone 1, and I need to do this journey 3 days in a row. So come on, Saturday 15th, Sunday 16th and Monday 17th return tickets. I don't believe these mysterious cheap tickets exist. Prove me wrong.

      ETA: Actually the tube website says:
      St. Pauls Train Station
      Zone: 1
      Line: Central

      It says it's in travelcard zone 1, which leads me to believe it is some sort of zone.
      Last edited by I'm With Stupid; 12-09-2007, 01:32 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Ok, not brilliant, but:
        get a rail card - 20

        3 x super off peak return = 28 * 3 = 84

        - 1/3 discount = 56 (plus the 20 rail card) which works out at 25 a day

        But I don't live around london, so you might want the travelcard thing too...?
        Be happy, accept those you care for, and live your life in a manner true to yourself, those you care for, and the values you hold dear to your heart.
        -- Click To See More

        Comment


        • #5
          Hmm, can you do a super off peak return if it's not a super off-peak time? I didn't get that option when I looked. I might get the young persons card though. I used to have one, but I haven't used the trains in a while (now I remember why).

          Oh God, it's even more confusing. I have to change over at Waterloo, which according to the underground website is in zone 1, then catch a train to London Zone 1. And the underground station says that between Waterloo and St. Pauls, you've got to change over at Bank, but on the Trainline website, it doesn't mention anything.

          ETA: so the NRE website says London Zone 1 (All Stations), so I guess zone 1 does have a load of stations in it. But if that's the case, how the fuck are you supposed to plan a journey (in which being on time could determine whether I get the job or not), if you can't specify which station you're going to?
          Last edited by I'm With Stupid; 12-09-2007, 01:47 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            St Paul's is a tube/underground station, which is entirely seperate from the overground train network, so they wouldn't be on the same website, cos the companies have nothing to do with each other.

            For the direct trains from Southampton you end up at waterloo station, you can then use the TFL journey planner to work out the rest fo your journey:

            http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en

            From Waterloo, take the Waterloo and City Line to Bank Station, change onto the Central (red line) and go across to St Paul's Sation. SHould take 11 minutes in total, more during rush hour to account for it taking longer to switch lines.

            Also these cheap train tickets are for travelling at specific times, try searching for single fares. Also, there are limited amounts of these cheap tickets so you have to book a fair bit in advance if you want them. 3 days isn't exactly a lot of time in advance.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
              Hmm, can you do a super off peak return if it's not a super off-peak time? I didn't get that option when I looked. I might get the young persons card though. I used to have one, but I haven't used the trains in a while (now I remember why).

              Oh God, it's even more confusing. I have to change over at Waterloo, which according to the underground website is in zone 1, then catch a train to London Zone 1. And the underground station says that between Waterloo and St. Pauls, you've got to change over at Bank, but on the Trainline website, it doesn't mention anything.

              ETA: so the NRE website says London Zone 1 (All Stations), so I guess zone 1 does have a load of stations in it. But if that's the case, how the fuck are you supposed to plan a journey (in which being on time could determine whether I get the job or not), if you can't specify which station you're going to?
              the super off peak returns are restricted to certain times.

              If you wanted to use it at peak times I think you need a standard day return, which would bring the bill to 120 with your railcard, or 40 a day.

              But theres probably a better way to do it I'm not aware of.
              Be happy, accept those you care for, and live your life in a manner true to yourself, those you care for, and the values you hold dear to your heart.
              -- Click To See More

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Maladjusted View Post
                St Paul's is a tube/underground station, which is entirely seperate from the overground train network, so they wouldn't be on the same website, cos the companies have nothing to do with each other.

                For the direct trains from Southampton you end up at waterloo station, you can then use the TFL journey planner to work out the rest fo your journey:

                http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en

                From Waterloo, take the Waterloo and City Line to Bank Station, change onto the Central (red line) and go across to St Paul's Sation. SHould take 11 minutes in total, more during rush hour to account for it taking longer to switch lines.

                Also these cheap train tickets are for travelling at specific times, try searching for single fares. Also, there are limited amounts of these cheap tickets so you have to book a fair bit in advance if you want them. 3 days isn't exactly a lot of time in advance.
                All of that. You could also get the Jubilee Line to London Bridge (from Waterloo) and walk through Borough Market (which I'm told is awesome, but I've never been there at a time when it's actually open), but the directions are quite complicated if you don't know where you're going.

                The cheap off-peak fares are generally from 10am-4pmish, and then after about 6pmish. Although iirc Waterloo doesn't have any barriers (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you might be able to get away with it. The ticket machines won't allow you to buy cheap day returns at those times anyway. Although it should on Saturdays/Sundays. How much is a weekly travelcard? It might be cheaper overall for you to get one of those, even if it is over only 3 days...
                ...there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

                'Franki is a wise one. Even if she hides it well sometimes' ~ Scary Monster
                'that's because you're perfect Franki' ~ Broken-Angel
                'I salute you Franki' ~ **helen**
                'I agree with everything that Franki has said' ~ Melian
                'You're a genius' ~ piccolo
                'Franki's right as usual' ~ James

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Franki View Post
                  All of that. You could also get the Jubilee Line to London Bridge (from Waterloo) and walk through Borough Market (which I'm told is awesome, but I've never been there at a time when it's actually open), but the directions are quite complicated if you don't know where you're going.

                  The cheap off-peak fares are generally from 10am-4pmish, and then after about 6pmish. Although iirc Waterloo doesn't have any barriers (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you might be able to get away with it. The ticket machines won't allow you to buy cheap day returns at those times anyway. Although it should on Saturdays/Sundays. How much is a weekly travelcard? It might be cheaper overall for you to get one of those, even if it is over only 3 days...
                  No barriers onto the main concourse, but lots of people in bright jackets checking tickets.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by g_angel View Post
                    No barriers onto the main concourse, but lots of people in bright jackets checking tickets.
                    They weren't there last time I went through Waterloo! Although that was at midday and 1am, so I guess they aren't too bothered then.

                    Are they the nice kind that let you through anyway, like the ones at Liverpool St are?
                    ...there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.

                    'Franki is a wise one. Even if she hides it well sometimes' ~ Scary Monster
                    'that's because you're perfect Franki' ~ Broken-Angel
                    'I salute you Franki' ~ **helen**
                    'I agree with everything that Franki has said' ~ Melian
                    'You're a genius' ~ piccolo
                    'Franki's right as usual' ~ James

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Franki View Post
                      They weren't there last time I went through Waterloo! Although that was at midday and 1am, so I guess they aren't too bothered then.

                      Are they the nice kind that let you through anyway, like the ones at Liverpool St are?
                      They're pretty strict.

                      Aye - it's 'rush hour' that they're there etc.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Do you understand now?

                        One way you might be able to get it cheaper is to split the tickets:

                        Buy Day returns from Southampton to Waterloo (aka London Terminals).

                        Then use an oyster card for you tube journeys. Zone 1 singles are 1.50 IIRC.

                        By buying your ticket all the way to St Pauls from Southampton you are buying a london travelcard so it's often more expensive than paying for the train to london and then buying two underground singles. This is assuming that you a) already have an oyster card or b) have time to buy one at Waterloo.

                        You were right btw, Zone 1 is a zone, with lots and lots of underground stations in it. St Pauls is a station in zone one, as is Waterloo, but there is no direct link so you need to follow the directions above for how to get from Waterloo to st Pauls by tube.

                        Train websites are stupid as far as the underground is concerned. They take you to a London mainline station, then tell you to get the underground, but they don't tell you how to do it. That said, it's pretty obvious when you look at an underground map which the underground stations are covered with.

                        If you want good instructions on how to get from Waterloo to wherever you're going near St Pauls then use www.tfl.gov.uk to journey plan between Waterloo and St Pauls.
                        Growls

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You could do it for 15.20 with railcard a day but you'd have to route Horsham which is a much longer route.

                          Super off peak doesn't start till after midday arrivals. Even I'm struggling to find anything cheaper than Shyboys above suggestion.
                          Voted Poster of the Year: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hmm, that website tells me to take a bus. It only gives the underground as an option on one of the journeys it suggests for me. Does that mean that there is no underground running at the other times, or just that the bus is quicker?

                            So am I right in thinking that buying a train ticket to Zone 1 includes travel within Zone 1, or do I need a seperate ticket? Or is it just that it might be cheaper to buy a seperate ticket?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Bus seems to be quicker. The Underground will probably be running but slower.

                              Train ticket to Z1 includes a day travelcard within Zone 1.
                              Voted Poster of the Year: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.

                              Comment

                              Hide this page

                              Local Advice Finder

                              Find local services

                              TheSite.org is delivered by YouthNet UK. Registered charity number: 1048995

                              Working...
                              X