Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hillary Clinton, Top Gear & the hicks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hillary Clinton, Top Gear & the hicks

    Reminded by the "Who is crazier" thread and Hillary Clinton's unpopularity, did any of you see the last Top Gear where the boys drove through Alabama with pro-Hillary Clinton slogans (amongst other inflammatory words) daubed on their motors?

    The response from the locals was frightening - and they are lucky to have got out of there with their lives!

    Although you might get a little verbal abuse if you drove through Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch with English flags on your car, you would probably feel that, at least, you would get out there alive!

    But there were simply so many no-go areas that they encountered.

    The 'greatest' nation on Earth that 'loves freedom' certainly has an evil underbelly.

    I regret saying all this as I have some absolutely adorable American friends - but I dunno if I fancy ever going there now.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  • #2
    Well I didn't really want to go to America before that programme. I'm wondering how much of that was absolutely genuine, because after all, it is TV. But if it was a genuine reaction, then it's fucking retarded, and a true testiment to how many people in the world genuinely value freedom of speech when it doesn't corrospond to their own views. I wonder what reaction you'd get going to a Celtic game in a Rangers shirt and chanting a load of abuse about Celtic though? Assuming there was no security there. I don't think this is specific to America.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
      I wonder what reaction you'd get going to a Celtic game in a Rangers shirt and chanting a load of abuse about Celtic though? Assuming there was no security there. I don't think this is specific to America.
      True ...
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

      Comment


      • #4
        It's the problem of being such a vast country, communities are isolated and insular, especially in the South.

        In America, if everyone around you for hundreds of miles is white, poor, owns a gun and is an evangelical christian and all the people you've ever known are white, poor, armed, evangelical christians then you're going to be suspicious of anyone who's anything else.
        Victoria Concordia Crescit

        Comment


        • #5
          Top Gear is as heavily scripted as most movies. I'm never sure what's real and what's not on the show.
          I was sitting down with a few doing what we do
          connected and focused we were practicing tongue-foo.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CptCoatHanger View Post
            Top Gear is as heavily scripted as most movies. I'm never sure what's real and what's not on the show.

            Oh the stoning etc was real, for sure! You could also see the genuine fear in their faces ... Clarkson's face was a picture!
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(")

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Violette
              i don't think it was like your example, i'm with stupid, because they weren't abusive, it was quite clear it was a joke and they got met with full on abuse and prejudice.
              Oh come on, they were driving cars that were basically slagging off everything that that particular part of the world stands for. Pull into a garage in a village in north Wales with "Speak English not Welsh" written on your car and see how far you get. It wouldn't be hard to drive around a few until you found an owner that didn't have a sense of humour. Who knows, this might have been the tenth garage they visited, and the rest might've seen the funny side.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Teagan View Post
                Oh the stoning etc was real, for sure! You could also see the genuine fear in their faces ... Clarkson's face was a picture!
                I'm not convinced. The previous episode where they were "laying the road" was complete tosh.
                I was sitting down with a few doing what we do
                connected and focused we were practicing tongue-foo.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CptCoatHanger View Post
                  I'm not convinced. The previous episode where they were "laying the road" was complete tosh.
                  I agree that episode was tosh .... but do you think they got a bunch of hicks onto a pickup to 'chase' them out of town .. and get an actress to pretend she was the hick gas station owner? Personally, I don't. I think that was for real.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Teagan View Post
                    I agree that episode was tosh .... but do you think they got a bunch of hicks onto a pickup to 'chase' them out of town .. and get an actress to pretend she was the hick gas station owner? Personally, I don't. I think that was for real.
                    I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility. I guess Top Gear have just sewn the seed of doubt with me. It's an enjoyable show, but i can't just accept anything it purports to be true any more.

                    Still, i don't think my scepticism of Top Gear really detracts from the debate that there evidently are areas of America - The South in particular - where there is a mentality similar to that shown on the show.
                    Last edited by CptCoatHanger; 14-02-2007, 05:16 PM.
                    I was sitting down with a few doing what we do
                    connected and focused we were practicing tongue-foo.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You go out to wind up people - don't be suprised when you succeed.

                      And lets be fair people have been attacked for wearing an England shirt in Scotland.
                      She sang for mercy, for the living and the dead alike, for Bran and Rickon and Robb, for her sister Arya and her bastard brother Jon Snow, away off on the Wall. She sang for her mother and her father, for her grandfather Lord Hoster and her uncle Edmure Tully, for her friend Jeyne Poole, for old drunken King Robert, for Septa Mordane and Ser Dontos and Jory Casseland Maester Luwin, for all the brave knights and soldiers who would die today, and for thechildren and the wives who would mourn them

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Flashman's Ghost View Post
                        You go out to wind up people - don't be suprised when you succeed.

                        And lets be fair people have been attacked for wearing an England shirt in Scotland.
                        I'm not sure that the chap who was beaten up for wearing an England shirt would necessarily have considered himself an agitator. I do agree, however, that deliberately winding people up isnít really much better than being the retarded hick.
                        I was sitting down with a few doing what we do
                        connected and focused we were practicing tongue-foo.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CptCoatHanger View Post
                          I'm not sure that the chap who was beaten up for wearing an England shirt would necessarily have considered himself an agitator. I do agree, however, that deliberately winding people up isnít really much better than being the retarded hick.
                          I should have made myself clearer. He was attacked for no real reason, so we shouldn't complain that if people are subject to attacks like that in the UK that people who go out deliberately to wind people up in the US get attacked. We're not that morally superior...
                          She sang for mercy, for the living and the dead alike, for Bran and Rickon and Robb, for her sister Arya and her bastard brother Jon Snow, away off on the Wall. She sang for her mother and her father, for her grandfather Lord Hoster and her uncle Edmure Tully, for her friend Jeyne Poole, for old drunken King Robert, for Septa Mordane and Ser Dontos and Jory Casseland Maester Luwin, for all the brave knights and soldiers who would die today, and for thechildren and the wives who would mourn them

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            yuuuup, us Americans, just a bunch of backward thinking, violent hicks. THaaaatts us alright.
                            "Shut the hell up hippy! I'm off to save AMERICA!"

                            University of Montana Jesters Rugby

                            Montana Rugby Union - Proud to be the last 'outlaw union' in the United States

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Flashman's Ghost View Post
                              I should have made myself clearer. He was attacked for no real reason, so we shouldn't complain that if people are subject to attacks like that in the UK that people who go out deliberately to wind people up in the US get attacked. We're not that morally superior...
                              Ah ok - no we're certainly not in any real position to preach. Donít you think that The South in America generally has more of an intolerant and bigoted mentality entrenched in its psyche than we do here?
                              I was sitting down with a few doing what we do
                              connected and focused we were practicing tongue-foo.

                              Comment

                              Hide this page

                              Local Advice Finder

                              Find local services

                              TheSite.org is delivered by YouthNet UK. Registered charity number: 1048995

                              Working...
                              X