Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Missing posts

UPDATE: As far as we can tell, all posts made by The Mix account in the last 12 months (roughly) have been lost. We're working to retrieve them, but for now you might see some gaps or seemingly unanswered questions lying around the forums. It also means the Live Chat Announcements and We Need You sub-forums are looking pretty bare. Bear with us, we're working on it.
2 of 2 < >

Post of The Month (May)

Horsemad is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community:

"Hey lost sense,
I've had several MRI scan on my head and back i look at it as a huge ring doungnut that your going through the middle. You will has a thing over your head and will have earphones on they will speak to you through them a erasure you, I gave them my phone so they could play my playlist I was given a panic button so if I felt panicky I could press it and they would stop and get me out xx.."
(Click for full post)
See more
See less

Election quiz - which party represents you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election quiz - which party represents you?

Election time is here again. On June the 8th, the country will vote on who should lead the government for the next 5 years.

How's everyone feeling about that?
    Do you plan to vote in this election?

We've come across an online quiz that asks you some questions about different areas of life in the UK and then tells you which parties represent you best. It's pretty interesting actually and covers all kinds of issues like:
    1. Should gay couples have the same adoption rights as straight couples?
    2. Should the government raise the national minimum wage?
    3. Should there be more or less privatisation of the NHS?
    4. Should the UK abolish university tuition fees?
    If you've got a spare couple of minutes, you can have a go here

What do you think about who you got?

For a slightly shorter summary of what each party stands for, you can head to our own article: How do I know who to vote for?
    I plan to vote
    75.00%
    I plan not to vote
    6.25%
    I'm too young to vote, but would if I could
    12.50%
    I'm too young to vote, but wouldn't even if I could
    6.25%
    Last edited by James; 05-06-2017, 04:45 PM. Reason: Added link to a The Mix article
    Critics build nothing.

I did the quiz and it said I agree mostly with labour policies - which is probably accurate I guess. Either way I definitely plan to vote in the election, I think it is really important that we get our voice heard whoever we choose to vote for, especially young people who are under represented in politics. I do think though that it is obvious who will win this election and it makes me downhearted - I can see why some people don't bother to vote. It can really seem futile and pointless at times.

Comment

This is just my opinion, but Ancient Greek politics doesn't work in 21st century Britain. I won't be voting until the entire system is overhauled to give the government less power over society, and give society more power over the goverment. The people in parliament should serve us, not the other way around. I've also just had enough of internal corruption and bargaining and profiting. And we shouldn't have any influence abroad, and places abroad shouldn't have influence here.

TL;DR
      I don't want to vote for who votes on decisions that affect me. I want to vote on the decisions that affect me. That's how it should work, why do we have politicians in the middle?

Rant over, lol
      Last edited by Aidan; 12-05-2017, 02:22 PM.
      SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

Comment

Well, as a very gay, university student, on minimum wage with a zero hour contract and who loves foxes, it says I side mainly with Labour, which I do agree with.
        I will be voting this election and hopefully the tories do get out (it looks unlikely) but I'm hopeful.

My personal opinion is that if you don't vote (unless you're too young to vote) then you probably should end up bitching and whining about who got in after the election.
        You're a ghost at most
        A set of empty bones
        Searching for anything and everything to make you feel whole

Comment

Something that seems somewhat relevant to what Aidan was saying (correct me if I'm wrong) is what Russel Brand was saying last election. It wasn't just him, I know a lot of others (such as Scroobius Pip) share the same view - that they don't want to vote inside a system that they don't like and that they believe needs to change. From that perspective, if you do vote, you can't complain because you've participated in the system.

Just throwing that angle out.

Disclaimer: this isn't my view, just a different view.
          "You're familiar with the phrase "man's reach exceeds his grasp"? It's a lie: man's grasp exceeds his nerve."

Comment

Kinda, Mike.
            I just want a party that'll bring the system into the 21st century. I would vote for that party. There's no major party like that that exists, so I'm not voting. I just think it's better to abstain, than to vote for a party you don't want in power. And right now none of them are stable or ground-breaking or modern or clever enough to see power, in my opinion.
            SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

Comment

Obviously everyone as their opinion but....VOTE LABOUR GUYS!!!...The green party is good too but they wont get enough votes to gain power.
              Keep strong and remember who you are!

Comment

Originally posted by louisa982 View Post
                Obviously everyone as their opinion but....VOTE LABOUR GUYS!!!...The green party is good too but they wont get enough votes to gain power.
                This is my opinion too..
                As said by Waynester Pickle - "Hann's Law, which states washing up must be done before 8:30" 22/12/14

Comment

I will definitely do this quiz! I'm too young to vote and am not really that into politics haha though...j
                  Last edited by independent_; 12-05-2017, 09:40 PM. Reason: Got my post count off of 333
                  "Truely independent person who doesn't do quotes, just dates".. (29.04.17)

Comment

Any quiz would show me to be labour but i tend to switch sides. Left wing tends to be politically libertarian and economically interventionist. right wing, politically...conservative? i forget the actual word i meant to use, and economically free-market. Politically/socially i'm left, economically i'm usually right. Generally that means i vote conservative however, since social policy of the extremes in these quizzes (for example abortion, gay marriage) usually aren't huge issues in the UK and no UK government has ever really tried to limit the big social freedoms in the recent past, now for other countires such as the USA those types of questions are far more relevent with...t...t....no i'm not saying the t-word . Therefore, since most policy is economic, and economically i'm more right than left i go conservative. Ofc, that's not to say i'm completely free market, but the increase in NHS budget under corbyn imo isn't worth all the other economic promises which are all otherwise in my opinion negative overall rather than positive (yes, even removing tuition fees is negative imo). So as it usually is with voting, i pick who i see as the lesser of two evils.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Something that seems somewhat relevant to what Aidan was saying (correct me if I'm wrong) is what Russel Brand was saying last election. It wasn't just him, I know a lot of others (such as Scroobius Pip) share the same view - that they don't want to vote inside a system that they don't like and that they believe needs to change. From that perspective, if you do vote, you can't complain because you've participated in the system.

Just throwing that angle out.

Disclaimer: this isn't my view, just a different view.

That makes sense, but realistically the system isn't going to change unfortunately, so you may as well at least vote for a party that shares similar interests to you. For example, if you're a student and vote Tory you're fucking yourself over
                      You're a ghost at most
                      A set of empty bones
                      Searching for anything and everything to make you feel whole

Comment

Politics in the UK often boils down to voting for the shiniest turd. I have no sympathy for those that choose not to vote because they want to see the system changed. If you don't vote then you have changed nothing.
                        Doves, Playboys, Biscuits, Barrels, Callies, Clear Caps, China Whites, Rhubarbs, Loony Toons, New Yorkers... you know, bang on, larging it, the full monty, safe as houses, pair of trousers, what a laugh, let's do another half!

Comment

Originally posted by Skive View Post
                          Politics in the UK often boils down to voting for the shiniest turd. I have no sympathy for those that choose not to vote because they want to see the system changed. If you don't vote then you have changed nothing.
                          That's true. When things change for the worse, I won't be held responsible for it.

Comment

Some really interesting views here everyone. Looks like most people either plan to vote or would vote if they were old enough.

Most people also seem to view choosing who to vote for as picking the least bad option (apart from a few shout outs to specific parties).

It'd be really interesting to hear which issues are the most important for everyone.
                            AzathKelara, you mentioned economic management as a priority, Hiccup, you mentioned student issues (like tuition fees?) and Aidan, you talked about not wanting to participate in a system you disagree with.

So it sounds like there's a range of different things that we think are most important and that these things help us decide who to vote for or whether to vote at all.

What does everyone else think is important?

Originally posted by Aidan
                            I don't want to vote for who votes on decisions that affect me. I want to vote on the decisions that affect me. That's how it should work, why do we have politicians in the middle?
                            I wonder whether you could say more about this Aidan , it sounds like you've given this some thought
                            For example, would you prefer a system similar to the one in Switzerland, where they hold multiple referendums each year on issues that affect citizens? (e.g. they've got one coming up in a few days on plans to phase out nuclear energy and increase renewable energy. More info on their system here)

When it comes to deciding whether or not to vote in the system we have, this seems like quite a powerful argument:

Originally posted by Armando Iannucci in The Guardian
                            When parties steal each other’s tactics and policies [...] then it’s easy to say, “they’re all as bad as each other” and stay indoors.

But the reality is this is an act of protest that immediately becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It’s no coincidence that the collapse in the 18- to 24-year-old vote has seen the advent of tuition fees, reductions in housing benefit for 18- to 21-year-olds, the scrapping of the education maintenance allowance, no entry to the “national living wage” until the age of 25, and cuts to student disability allowances.

These are measures taken in recent years by Labour, Conservative and Lib Dem ministers alike because, in the end, the youth vote was never going to trouble them. So, if financial savings were going to have to be made somewhere, they were going to be made from young people. This in turn has produced disenchantment: if the young are going to be so neglected, why should they bother voting? And so it spirals on: each reduction in registration and turnout met with a further opportunity for ministers to raid young people’s resources. While older voters are invited to the top table, the young are dumped around the back by the bins.
                            [source]

What do people think of that?
                            Critics build nothing.

Comment

I think that the post you quoted is v relevent James - young people don't see why they should vote when politicians do nothing for them, and politicians probably think why should we do anything for young people who don't vote? It's a cycle. I wish more YP would turn out and vote as it would make a huge difference to the results. In reality none of the parties are perfect and sometimes it feels like a case of choosing the lesser of the evils.

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                              X