No announcement yet.

Did facebook kill off internet forums?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did facebook kill off internet forums?

Let's face it, this place (as well as hundreds of others on the web) is DEAD.

I remember visiting here years ago, maybe 2005/2006 and it was a hive of activity. Is it time to collectively accept defeat and hang up those forum boots? People just ain't interested any more it seems

I think closing down the place would be a severe overreaction but it's true forums aren't what they were.
    "The exposure of truth sometimes results in tragedy... However! No matter how tragic the truth may be, it would be an even greater tragedy to avert one's eyes from it." ~Miles Edgeworth
    ---
    If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.
    ---
    The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility, and vice versa.

Comment

I much prefer coming here than using facebook. The sooner facebook ceases to exist the better.
      Whowhere, neither here nor there.

Comment

First and foremost this is a place to get advice, often anonymously. Facebook is no substitute for that. Would like this place to be a bit by busier tho.
        Doves, Playboys, Biscuits, Barrels, Callies, Clear Caps, China Whites, Rhubarbs, Loony Toons, New Yorkers... you know, bang on, larging it, the full monty, safe as houses, pair of trousers, what a laugh, let's do another half!

Comment

Originally posted by Skive View Post
          First and foremost this is a place to get advice, often anonymously. Facebook is no substitute for that. Would like this place to be a bit by busier tho.
          Exactly. Facebook is good for organising meet ups, having a laugh, etc.

Comment

Agree completely. How do we make it busy again?!

Comment

I think it wasnt facebook, just people getting older. I mean forums all over the place were flourished with users, back when the internet was still a relatively new thing for many. Those who are starting to use it now, have already been exposed to it from a relatively young age and might just not be steered towards places like this anymore.
              "Sometimes it's worth making your own opportunities instead of waiting for others"

Comment

Originally posted by Whowhere View Post
                I much prefer coming here than using facebook. The sooner facebook ceases to exist the better.
                would be a shame, as its one of the only ways me and Gs family get to see pics of the kids etc

Comment

If you had to deal with stuff at work like I do because of Facebook you'd want to see it gone too!
                  Graffe, I think you're right, it's a shame too

Comment

Like Skive says, forums like this are good for anonymity. Something you just don't get with facebook. There are things I would (and do) discuss openly here, that I would never discuss with my friends and family. So I would like to see thesite keep on.

On the other hand, facebook really did a number on myspace, and the sooner that is put out of its misery, the better.
                    [Insert witty quote]

Comment

Originally posted by G-Raffe View Post
                      I think it wasnt facebook, just people getting older. I mean forums all over the place were flourished with users, back when the internet was still a relatively new thing for many. Those who are starting to use it now, have already been exposed to it from a relatively young age and might just not be steered towards places like this anymore.
                      Ooh, remember the days of yahoo chat!

Things come and go, they serve their purpose and sometimes something comes along to replace it. As others have said, I don't think you can really compare a website forum ment to help people and give advice with facebook. Apples and oranges. Other forums may be dead, or something better might have come along. I think they still serve their purpose
                      Of all the mistakes you've made, the best are yet to come.

Comment

If you had to deal with stuff at work like I do because of Facebook you'd want to see it gone too!
                        I wouldnt, although i know that there are issues with it of course

Comment

The decline in the use of bulletin boards has been happening since the mid 2000s, which does correlates with the rise of social networking sites such as Facebook.
                          The flaws of bulletin boards have been made more prominent by changing habits in internet usage, the pushing of messages to each person involved in the communication and the ability for a new users to begin participating has become more important to users.

For example, to reply to a thread its necessary to be aware the thread in the first place, which is only possible if you visit the bulletin board, then read all the messages in the thread (which aren't sub threaded) and then compose a reply and remember to check back in a few hours for a response (I know about 'watched threads', but this has to be done by the individual user each time they respond to a thread).

Compare this to an email list, where you can register, receive all emails to the list, reply to any that interests you and see all messages threaded in different ways in your email client and you'll see why forum posting is so laborious.

In my opinion, social networking sites are maintain the dynamics of email lists with web forms and embedded content.

TL;DR is that bulletin boards are a pull technology, the user goes to board and pulls what they're interested in whereas more popular things are push technologies, what interests the user is delivered to them.

Comment

Originally posted by adogwithsunglasses View Post
                            For example, to reply to a thread its necessary to be aware the thread in the first place, which is only possible if you visit the bulletin board, then read all the messages in the thread (which aren't sub threaded) and then compose a reply and remember to check back in a few hours for a response (I know about 'watched threads', but this has to be done by the individual user each time they respond to a thread).
                            You can set that to happen automatically.

Compare this to an email list, where you can register, receive all emails to the list, reply to any that interests you and see all messages threaded in different ways in your email client and you'll see why forum posting is so laborious.
                            Try the "Display" menu on the top right of this page.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but these two points are poorly made IMHO.
                            "The exposure of truth sometimes results in tragedy... However! No matter how tragic the truth may be, it would be an even greater tragedy to avert one's eyes from it." ~Miles Edgeworth
                            ---
                            If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.
                            ---
                            The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility, and vice versa.

Comment

No joke!

I can't say FB will replace forums, but I can sure say it's not my favorite way to connect with people.

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

TheSite.org is delivered by YouthNet UK. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                              X