Sex. It can feel pretty cringe to talk about, especially when in the middle of it! But (s)experts agree that communicating about sex can not only help us make sure everything's consensual, but also make it waaay better!
So, to help kick start the discussion, we're running a special, sexpert chat all about how to communicate during sex.
When and where is this happening?
Wednesday the 26th of April, 7:30 - 8pm in the expert chat room AND on Facebook Live.
Who's the expert?
Once again weíll be inviting sex & relationships expert Justin from BISH UK into the chat room to answer your questions. Justin's made a career out of giving straight talking advice about pretty much anything related to sex and relationships, such as the usual condoms and STIs stuff, gender norms, sexual bullying, porn, love, relationships, good first time sex, sexual readiness, self-esteem and of course, consent. He's a qualified youth worker and sexual health trainer with over 20 years experience of working with young people.
What kinds of things can I ask?
This chat will be a chance to ask for advice and info around talking about sex and communication of all kinds during sex. That might include how to tell your partner(s) what you like, ask them what they like. Or you might want to know more about how to give and get consent, or bring up the topic of contraception.
Whatever your question, this is a chance to get an answer from an expert!
While you will be able to talk about past experiences, the main focus will be on strategies and ideas to help now and in the future.
How will the chat work?
We'll be fully embracing the 2017 this time by broadcasting the session on Facebook Live while taking questions from the usual Expert chat room!
You'll be able to watch the session by logging into Facebook (make sure you follow The Mix to be able to see the stream). While there will be a conversation on Facebook, we'll also open up the usual chatroom, so you can still ask questions anonymously or using your The Mix identity.
There'll be mods on both Facebook and in the usual chatroom, who will make sure your questions are fed through to Justin. You'll also be more than welcome to chip in by sharing experiences and ideas that might be helpful to others.
You will be able to log in as normal on the night in the usual place: http://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/group-chat
And you can watch the stream on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheMixUK
Update: we'll also be trying to embed the video stream into this thread, so you should be able to watch it from here without logging into Facebook (it's a bit of an experiment, so fingers crossed!).
What if I can't make it but I have a question?
We can accept questions in advance and ask them on the night, however live questions will take priority. If you have a question you'd like answered then please message the mod team with it.
Any other questions, feel free to ask below!
So just to confirm, we'll be displaying the Facebook Live stream at the end of this post when we go live. This means that for those of you coming along to our expert chat room, you'll need this page open in another window.
Here are some guidelines to bear in mind for those of you coming along to the expert chat room (click the 'join' link on this page when it appears) - Mix group chat regulars will be familiar with a lot of these, but because consent can be a really difficult topic, there are a few in here just for tonight.
- The session is to talk about ways to communicate during/about sex. If you have a question, feel free to ask in the chat room (this thread will be closed) and you'll be added to the queue. We'll get around to answering as many as we can.
- Anyone can leave at any time for any reason, with no questions or judgement.
- Chat is a diverse place Ė weíve all had different experiences and sometimes we might disagree on something, but thatís OK. If I feel upset by something, Iíll self-moderate (take a break to calm down, for example).
- Be friendly, respectful and ready to listen.
- Chat is a group space Ė Iím prepared for a bit of give and take and Iíll help to include everyone. Iíll also make sure I consider what I say and how it may impact others.
- This session is not a place to hook up or brag about sexual encounters.
- You're welcome to share personal experiences if you're comfortable doing so, but we cannot provide support during this session. If you would like some support, here are some organisations you can get in touch with:
- The Mix helpline: http://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/speak-to-our-team
- Survivorís UK: https://www.survivorsuk.org/
- Womenís Aid: https://www.womensaid.org.uk/
- Rape Crisis: https://rapecrisis.org.uk/
- Galop: http://www.galop.org.uk/domesticabuse/
Stream will display here when live: