Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chat change-up

Hey everyone

This might be a bit of a long post, so bear with...

A lot of you guys will be aware that recent group chat sessions, as a whole, have been a bit tough. There have been a fair few arguments happening both in and outside of chat, and unfortunately support has been suffering a little bit as a result. Relationships with people on any community can easily get pretty difficult, and perhaps more so with support communities. No one gets on with absolutely everybody and that's totally okay, but being able to co-exist in the same space is key to a community working positively and remaining supportive.

Given the closeness of the group and the somewhat fast pace of sessions, chat has proven to be a space where this is understandably a bit trickier. Being able to push past difficult relationships and hard feelings towards other members certainly isn't always easy, but it's necessary to keep chat a safe and comfortable space for everybody.

So, given that we could probably all use a bit of breathing room and some space from the difficult atmosphere in chat at the moment, we're changing things up this week...

Support chat

The support chats that were scheduled for tonight, tomorrow and Thursday are now going to be support circles.

Although we feel like the chat community needs a bit of time-out from the conflict going on, we think it's important for you all to still be able to give and get support. Support circles have a slower pace and are generally much more chilled out than regular support chats, so hopefully we can get the best of both worlds - a bit of a break from the intensity of support chat, while also being able to talk about things in a group.

Places for these will be limited to one per person, so do
    sign-up here.

EDIT: The deadline for sign-ups for tonight's session will be 7:30pm.

General chat

For tonight, tomorrow and Thursday, general chats will be held here on the boards.

In aid of the breathing room I mentioned earlier, we thought it best to also put general chat on the back burner for the next few days. Instead, we will be posting general chat threads here on the boards where you guys can still have that space to use in the same way you would a regular chat session. These will be posted by the usual GC mods, and you have the added bonus of being able to carry these on past usual chat hours - you lucky devils, you.

Just to be clear, things will return to the regular schedule from Sunday forward. This isn't a permanent change of any kind, but rather a way for us to shake things up a bit in light of recent chats. Hopefully after this we can return to a constructive chat space where we can all work together to provide the amazing support that you guys can give, and leave any personal differences at the door.

We're super aware that a lot of members of the regular chat group have been really patient and been genuinely trying to make chats work, and this doesn't go unnoticed by either staff or moderators. Thank you to everyone who has been doing their bit to make chat a safe and supportive place.

Mike
    We're James, Aife & Mike: the staff team here at The Mix.
    If you have any questions about this place, feel free to
    ask over in the
    Help Desk or send us a private message.

WHAT!!! - Can only sign up to 1 chat!!

Comment

This is a good idea
      Keep strong and remember who you are!

Comment

How do you know if you've got in the chat after signing up?

Comment

This is not a good idea. I didn't want to use my boards name in GC 😩
          You are enough

Comment

This is such a good idea everyone can have a break and get the support they need !!
            Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Rather there just be no chat at all for 1 week.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink+fluffy View Post
                How do you know if you've got in the chat after signing up?
                Good question! We'll be in touch with you all via PM to confirm places for the chats you sign up for. Welcome to the community by the way, Pink+fluffy !

Jess101 - Yep, just to make sure there are enough places to go round. Remember the boards are always here if you could do with some support out of hours.

Lostsense - You're welcome to remain anonymous if you like, there's no pressure to use the name you usually would in chat sessions.

louisa982 and horsemad - Glad you think so!

Mike
                ask over in the

Comment

appreciate this
                  love, me

Comment

Sounds reasonable and to be completely honest I think it's warranted.

Most of the time I don't say anything because it's not my place to get involved but I really am sick of the arguments, in directs and rudeness it changes the atmosphere and affects everyone.

It's not fair on people who want to get away from quarrels from home or need to be support because when this happens it actually makes them worse and takes away from support time.

I hope that this change does actually work if not I won't be surprised if chat is closed for good.
                    Last edited by Notagainvitelina; 14-03-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Notagainvitelina View Post
                      That sounds reasonable and to be completely honest I think it's warranted.

Most of the time I don't say anything because it's not my place to get involved but I really am sick of the arguments, in directs and rudeness it changes the atmosphere and affects everyone.

It's not fair on people who want to get away from quarrels from home or need to be support because when this happens it actually makes them worse and takes away from support time.

I hope that this change does actually work if not I won't be surprised if chat is closed for good.
                      I think this is quite a shared feeling, Notagainvitelina , and this is a big part of why we decided on this.

If anyone wants to talk about the ins and outs of what's been going on chat-wise then the best place for that is via PM with us, but do feel free to use this thread to chat a bit about the new arrangement.

ellaleftwonderland - great to hear

Mike
                      ask over in the

Comment

This is a good idea. I think people need this. Chat isnt a very nice place to go recently. I felt targetted by certain members. But I think this is what everyone needs.
                        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow

Think ability, not disability

Comment

Hey everyone,

Just letting you know that we'll be confirming places for tonight by PM at around 7:30pm this evening. It looks like everyone who's signed up for tonight so far will be getting a place

James
                          ask over in the

Comment

Who are the mods for tonight?

Comment

Where is the general chat board thread????????

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                              X

Win Your Summer Wardrobe!

Take our survey for a chance to win a 200 ASOS clothes voucher or one of 80 10 Amazon vouchers.

Click to take the survey