Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Get involved

Fancy hosting one of our General Chats, or getting involved with the community in another way? Let us know here.
2 of 2 < >

Post of The Month (July)

Aidan is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community for the following post:

"Hey Lucie,

You say you're still on medication and have had lots of therapy? Maybe it's a matter of revisiting old coping techniques and anything else like that, that therapy taught you?

And Drea is absolutely right! Even someone with everything material that they could ever want isn't insusceptible to mental illness. Any sex, race, age, class; it doesn't discriminate...
"
(Click for full post)
See more
See less

Are snapchat filters detrimental to our self-esteem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are snapchat filters detrimental to our self-esteem?

I have noticed from my own social media feeds and through personal experience that the use of the ever so popular snapchat (and now, Instagram) filters are being used more and more and posted on social media more and more. Many people who I know almost no longer post photos of themselves without the 'dog filter' or the cute animal filters and using them myself, I realise how much they can change the look of your face. They smooth your skin, slim your face and your nose, and make your eyes and lips larger. Aside from the obviously funny filters which completely change the way you look, these more subtle changing filters could make you dislike the way that you look in real life.

Do you think that these snapchat filters can affect our self-esteem negatively?

Feel free to comment on the topic below! Would be great to hear what people think

Drea
    Yes
    62.50%
    No
    25.00%
    Not sure
    12.50%

Yeahh I do.. even sending a snap to my best friend, if I don't have make up on I have to cover my face with a filter, which is weird cause they've seen me without make up plenty of times
    mosaics are made from broken pieces but they’re still works of art, and so are you.

It's stormy now, but the suns gonna shine again, even the worst storms gotta end.

Comment

i rarely ever use filters, they just piss me off tbh. most my snapchats are of my face or whatever is going on around me. i int gonna sit and mess about trying to find something to hide my face with. i really hate my face but if people dont like my face and want to judge they can remove me. its as simple as that
      i get they are there for fun etc, but people tend to use them all the freaking time and i just dont get the hype of hiding their faces with filters.

Comment

That's really interesting to hear guys!

BubblesGoesBoo: I completely understand because I do it too sometimes!

Meggles: You're right, it has become a problem because it's almost changing a reality and we should be happy with our faces!

Drea

Comment

I just don't see the point in them. Half of the filters on Snapchat are constantly changing to keep up with. What's the point in hiding your face from people who see your face daily?

Comment

Yeah - I use the filters when i send selfies cos it makes my face look better.

Comment

I think it's more the thought of, like my friends see me without makeup and its fine.. but on snap chat there's always the chance of them screen shotting it... and then everyone might see? I dunno,my self esteem ain't really good so I hate people seeing me without my make up on. And I actually partly blame it on mental health professionals ! Whenever I go to an appointment without make up or my hair styled they always say I'm 'lacking self care' .. cause before I started having appointments it didn't bother me if I looked a state but now even if I just go to the corner shop I need to have my make-up and hair done so people think I'm doing better. So I feel like in photos I have to use filters to give people the idea I'm doing better, dunno if that makes sense but yeah lol.
              mosaics are made from broken pieces but they’re still works of art, and so are you.

It's stormy now, but the suns gonna shine again, even the worst storms gotta end.

Comment

I use it when i have a low self esteem but i put no because it doesnt affect my self esteem and think theres a big difference.
                The affects are over done, over mampluated and makes me look weird and nose and face way to thin but it covers my face and make it look better even if it is weird looking so i use it
                The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide you are not going to stay where you are

Comment

My personal view on them - don't care for 'em, if i can only look nice on a filter then i may as well be ugly online too because everyone else gotta see it unfiltered so what's the difference. unless i look like a goblin...but i rarely take selfies at that state anyway because i almost look like a cartoon witch :P

My view of others using them - it makes me sad to hear that people think they ugly so they gotta use 'em when tbh most ppl look amazing. I personally don't see the value in a filter that's not for comedy because it just feeds highly self-conscious people, it gives them something to compare to and they'll just keep perpetuating it.
                  Why didn't you just shout i'm lonely and i'm looking for a place to go ~ Where everything's an embrace and everybody wants to know

Comment

BubblesGoesBoo: Completely see what you mean! It's as if even though people know what we look like without makeup and maybe a bit of acne or something, we still feel the need to adjust our face regardless :/

Shaunie: There are some filters that can make us look weird and far from human, but I agree, even those are used sometimes to better ourselves in some ways.

AzathKelara: It's interesting to see how people differ in opinions over this! It makes me sad that people use it for those reasons too and it's becoming easier and easier to create what we think is a 'better' version of ourselves even though we are good just the way we are!

Great responses here everyone

Drea

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                    X