Essential support for under 25s

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Gender & Sexuality forum: now open!

Hey everyone,

You spoke and it was thus: due to popular demand and to celebrate Pride month, we're delighted to launch our new Gender & Sexuality forum!

Why not head over now and take a look around. Make sure you look through the guidelines (and add your own suggestions) and read all about the history of Pride

This is your space - feel free to make it yours and post away!

James, Aife, Mike & Kathleen
(The Mix team)
2 of 2 < >

Post of The Month (April)

Maisy is our Post of The Month winner voted by the community:

"You're not bitchy at all. What this guy did to you, and how he invalidates it afterwards is horrific and you deserve justice. Rape can happen to anyone..."

(Click for full post)
See more
See less

Have you been on NCS before?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you been on NCS before?

Hey everyone,

The Mix are looking to expand the work they do with NCS (National Citizen Service) and we'd love to hear about your experience if you've been on it before. NCS offer the chance for young people to embark on challenges and build skills for work and life.

Has anyone been on NCS before? If you have, we'd love to hear about your experience and any feedback you have about it!

- Aife
    We're James, Aife & Mike: the staff team here at The Mix.
    If you have any questions about this place, feel free to
    ask over in the
    Help Desk or send us a private message.

I've never some NCS, but I have done most of my DofE until school stopped doing it barely before I finished my volunteering, so I can't say I've done it technically :'(

Which was probably lucky anyway, seeing as the DofE seems worthless now compared to NCS. I don't know what happened to it.
    SUCCESS is not final, FAILURE is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts

Comment

I'm doing NCS this summer 🎉🎉

Comment

I'm working for NCS
        Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan View Post
          I've never some NCS, but I have done most of my DofE until school stopped doing it barely before I finished my volunteering, so I can't say I've done it technically :'(
          Aah man! This really sucks. You know you've done it, though, regardless of whether you have a certificate.

It's great to hear you guys (Pink+fluffy and horsemad) have (or will have) some experience with NCS. It would be great to hear a bit about your experiences with it if you're happy to share - so what's good, what's maybe not so good, and generally how you've found it?

Mike
          We're James, Aife & Mike: the staff team here at The Mix.
          If you have any questions about this place, feel free to
          ask over in the
          Help Desk or send us a private message.

Comment

I did NCS when I left High School, (back then it was called The Challenge, 4 years ago).
            I had good and bad experiences with taking part, the bad being my own fault. I quite enjoyed every part of the program, the bonding with your team and developing skills in week 1, experiencing life in uni halls and developing one skill further in week 2, and in the third week planning a community project with my team which we'd carry out in one of the 4 weekends in September. I enjoyed taking part in NCS that much that I volunteered as an Associate Mentor for the 2 following years.

NCS was great, I met some good friends, those that I went to the same college as, and I got to develop my skills and do things I wouldn't imagine myself doing.
            If anyone was thinking of taking part in NCS, I'd say do it. It's a once in a lifetime experience, and you shouldn't miss out. They don't force you to do anything you don't want to do, if you have problems, speak to your team leader, or program leader, and they will either sort it out or help you. An example being, in the first week my team went through this underground pathway in the dark, and I was scared to do it, I told my team leader, and we went through it together, along with other people who were scared, and it was amazing.

~Hann
            As said by Waynester Pickle - "Hann's Law, which states washing up must be done before 8:30" 22/12/14

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
            X