X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA: Spam increase

Hey everyone,

Until a couple of weeks ago, The Mix was blocked in almost every country accept the UK. The reason we originally had to do this was because the amount of spam we were getting from different countries simply wasn't manageable, and since we are a UK based service it made sense for us to simply block other countries from accessing our site.

However, recently we unblocked The Mix from other countries. This is because Google doesn't like advertising places that aren't accessible worldwide, so in order for us to show up in their searches, we need to let those countries in.

The downside with this is that we've noticed a considerable increase in spam posts and accounts popping up. We realise this isn't ideal, but we are trying to keep on top of it and find some long term solutions if it persists. You guys are fantastic at reporting this stuff for us and it really does help us out, so please keep doing that.

Any questions, just drop us a PM.

Mike
    We're James, Steph & Mike: the staff team here at The Mix.
    If you have any questions about this place, feel free to
    ask over in the
    Help Desk or send us a private message.

Does this make the site not safe?

Comment

Beth The Mix is still perfectly safe. Any website will get spam posts or comments (just like you do in your email inbox), but we're just getting a bit more than usual at the moment. Nothing to worry about - it looks like they're just bots, usually trying to advertise something. Harmless, but quite annoying.
      ask over in the

Comment

Childline dosent get spam. How come threads aren't reviewed before they get posted to help keep the site safe? And avoid things like this.

Comment

It would take ages for every thread to be reviewed and Mods/Staff have enough to do.

There are people who delete the spam anyway...
          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow

Think ability, not disability

Comment

Reviewing every post would take a long time, since us mods cant be online 24/7 (although we do try), to review every post. Meaning a lot of replies or new topics wouldn't get posted as quickly.

The bots are just that, bots. Its just a program thats running somewhere to produce them, every forum I've worked with at one time or another gets a influx of spam, its just finding the right way to stop it without hindering the user experience.
            Just your friendly neighbourhood Moderator ~ Always happy to help

Comment

I've noticed too and report straight away!

Comment

Is that why there are a lack of international users then? There have been a number of American users over the years but haven't seen any in ages.
                Doves, Playboys, Biscuits, Barrels, Callies, Clear Caps, China Whites, Rhubarbs, Loony Toons, New Yorkers... you know, bang on, larging it, the full monty, safe as houses, pair of trousers, what a laugh, let's do another half!

Comment

Originally posted by Notagainvitelina View Post
                  I've noticed too and report straight away!
                  Cheers Notagain!

Originally posted by Skive View Post
                  Is that why there are a lack of international users then? There have been a number of American users over the years but haven't seen any in ages.
                  Hmmm, possibly. The Mix has been getting US based users, but they tend to read our articles and comment rather than stick around on the community. To answer your initial question, most likely. There are a few exceptions; people and countries who can get through (StrubbleS, for example), but generally international users wouldn't have been able to get in.

Mike
                  ask over in the

Comment

Hey guys,

Lol, I didn't actually know that these country blocks existed. Typical clueless me. I'll report anything that I see spam wise. One of the things that I love about this site over ChildLine (the main thing actually) is the lack of message reviewing before they are posted.

Thanks
                    "It'll all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end".

Comment

Can't you just block the bots?

Comment

Originally posted by Elleloveschocolate View Post
                        Hey guys,

Lol, I didn't actually know that these country blocks existed. Typical clueless me. I'll report anything that I see spam wise. One of the things that I love about this site over ChildLine (the main thing actually) is the lack of message reviewing before they are posted.

Thanks
                        Cheers Elle!

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Can't you just block the bots?
                        We're actually looking into this at the moment. We might be able to find ways of upping our security a little bit and filtering out more spammers. In the short term though, unfortunately all we can do is block them as they appear (which we are doing). It's a bit of a game of wack-a-mole with our current system, but it's doing the job for us at the moment.

Mike
                        ask over in the

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks everybody for being so on the case with reporting pesky spammers!

It means we can ban them really quickly!

James
                          ask over in the

Comment

Just found another..I've reported it?

Comment

Originally posted by Lostsense View Post
                              Just found another..I've reported it?
                              Thanks Lostsense.

Mike
                              ask over in the

Comment

Hide this page

Local Advice Finder

Find local services

The Mix. Registered charity number: 1048995

Working...
                              X

Win Your Summer Wardrobe!

Take our survey for a chance to win a 200 ASOS clothes voucher or one of 80 10 Amazon vouchers.

Click to take the survey